Marillion - Fugazi

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Valen2260, Apr 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Where are the prophets, where are the visionaries, where are the poets?

I sometimes think Marillion's second album gets overlooked, stuck between the initial excitement of Script and the huge success of Misplaced Childhood.

A friend asked if I'd go back and revisit the album for a blog piece, and as I listened to it again, I was struck by how prescient some of those lyrics still are, even 35 years on. I also found myself thinking that it's one of their best sounding albums (Trewavas' bass really thunders on this one.)

So, this creature of habit begs your boatman's coin:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....n-fugazi-1984/

Antx, Curiosity, Krzych and 6 others like this.
  2. MikeF63

MikeF63 Forum Resident

I still love Fugazi and play it a lot, bought it the day it came out.

That said, it shows its age a lot more than the two Fish albums that followed and lacks some of the originality of Script, albeit we now have a much better drummer on board.

Assassing was the greatest thing I ever heard when I first heard it, but now the build up is kinda let down by the main riff which is a bit lame (da-da-da-da-da-da --- ching-ching-ching-ching, ching-ching). The key change out of the middle section is still very cool though!. Jigsaw is a bit boring, and the swearing on She Chameleon must have seemed radical at the time but it is now a bit silly. Punch and Judy and Incubus have held up very well - and the title track - as you say - is still brilliant, superbly constructed, amazingly good lyrics, great arrangement.

Fancy a game of Brixton chess?

3. Graham 12" Remix

Graham 12" Remix Graham Sylvian, Graham Gedge or Graham from Felt

My memory is that it's a stereotypical second album: all the good songs were used on the first album; new ideas would come with the third album.

head_unit and Rigsby like this.
  4. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Always been my favorite. Only Punch and Judy i find a little to basic, the other songs are all great, with a great ambient to it and pretty amazing solos from Steve Rothery. Also the drums are vastly superior to the first album with Ian Mosley inclusion.

Favorite song: Emerald Lies

JulesRules, Zongadude and head_unit like this.
  5. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Easily their best Fish era album and a big improvement on the debut. The double CD also enhances it even further with the brilliant Cinderella Search. I dont think Fish ever sounded better than on Fugazi. They where ready for a change after the drab Clutching at Straws.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    JulesRules and head_unit like this.
  6. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

I love every second of it. Wouldn't change a thing.
    It's unique. It's perfect as is.

7. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

I still like it. I think it’s aged better than the first at which I cringe at most of the lyrics

JulesRules, head_unit and Rufus rag like this.
  8. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Not a big fan of it, the songs just aren’t as appealing as the debut.

9. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

The first had two great songs, the title track and Forgotten Sons, the rest is forgettable.

10. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

He Knows & Garden Party are classics

Instant Dharma likes this.
  11. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

I find pre-Hogarth Marillion terribly dated now.... I used to love the early stuff, but can't really listen to it anymore. Clutching At Straws is probably my only exception to this, which I find still a good album, but I think the early stuff has been overshadowed by the material they've been producing since the Brave album onwards. They're definitely one of those bands of two faces, and for that reason they reinvented themselves when Hogarth joined, and for the better in my opinion.

That said, Fugazi is a good album and in my opinion a better album than the first one... I don't see it as the poor relation to either Script of Misplaced. It is overlooked, but shouldn't be.

Please don't let this turn into a Fish V Hogarth thread.... I'm just pointing out my viewpoint on why I don't really appreciate the early stuff anymore.

Aggie87 and sound chaser like this.
  12. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

My favorite Marillion album. I saw them on the tour here in NYC at the Ritz.

Rufus rag likes this.
  13. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

My first Marillion album purchased in 1984 and still my favourite.

When I moved to London, I revelled in the local references in the title track, seeing the knights for Embankment folding their newspaper castles and seeing Brixton chess!

Incubus is probably my favourite track, but they are all great and for me the perfect fusion of the widescreen sound of the musicians being matched by some pretty thought provoking lyrics and vocals.

JulesRules likes this.
  14. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Definitely the weakest of their 3 first trilogy, like left over materiel from their first. I remember how disappointed I was hearing steady beat drumming.

15. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

Bought this album the day it came out and still love it. Agree with the OP that it gets overlooked. Only thing wrong with it is that they didn't include Cinderella Search on it. Why that was relegated to the B-side of Assassing I will never know.

At the recent Steve Rothery Band convention they played Incubus, Fugazi and Cinderella Search - so one of the band still likes it!!

16. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Just beats their debut as my favourite Fish-era album. Assassing and Jigsaw are the stand outs for me.
    I look forward to the box set.

JulesRules and Rufus rag like this.
  17. AdrianSoundchaser

AdrianSoundchaser Forum Resident

The weakest of the four Fish/Marillion albums for me, although those albums are four of my all time favourites so I still love it!
    A slight feeling that it was a little rushed after the success of Script. Incubus, Emerald Lies, Jigsaw are all amazing. I've never liked Punch & Judy, probably the worst song of the whole Fish era. Cinderella Search should have been added to all rereleases, a fantastic song.

18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

At one point in time Fugazi was my favorite Marillion album. That age has long since passed, maybe it was the Floyd and Hammill album covers on the Jesters bedroom floor, maybe it was the scintillating wordplay....
    (Apocalyptic alphabet casting spell the creed of tempered diction
    Adjectives of annihilation bury the point beyond redemption) uh huh? Ok , Fish Lol

Rufus rag likes this.
  19. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

I must confess I love ALL Marillion.

So I'm gonna rave about every album in every thread.

ytserush likes this.
  20. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I’m certainly not going to turn this into a Fish vs. Hogarth discussion, but let me say that I still believe that Brave is best thing the band has done.

sound chaser likes this.
  21. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

"Assassing" and the title track are great, but I agree that the sound of this dated badly. I prefer Fugazi to Script simply because it shows the various influences beginning to coalesce into the band's own voice, while Script wears its influences on its sleeve a bit much for my liking. But Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws, for me, are toweringly great albums in a different league.

22. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Don't know this album. My favorite of them is Repeater

23. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

The OP is about a Marillion album called Fugazi, not a Fugazi album called Marillion.

24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I love Fugazi. I tend to regard it and its predecessor as two parts of the same album, these days. Rarely play one without immediately playing the other. Always a highly satisfying experience. Jigsaw remains my favourite Marillion song.

Over the course of their long career, Marillion have released the album that hasn't clicked but for the most part I reckon that they've been very consistent regardless of era. Not always an easy listen but then I have my Air Supply albums for that. :)

25. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I will confess to only ever having owned the first 4 Marillion albums ... for some reason, don't really know why actually, I never continued with them after Fish's departure

Fugazi - I've always liked most of it, though I haven't played it in a number of years. Punch & Judy is not too good though, and I can't even remember She Chameleon as I sit here. The rest of the album gets a general thumbs up from me

head_unit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.