Marillion - Script For a Jester's Tear 4/3/2020 Deluxe Edition (4CD/Blu ray/4LP) + Documentary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eleventh Earl of Mar, Jan 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dok

Dok Senior Member

2. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

If it was possible to "not like" the contents of a post I would do so!

JulesRules, PJayBe and dvcarrick like this.
  3. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I very quickly changed my tune from “I ordered from Fish and now everyone else will get it before me’ to ‘I’m so glad I ordered this on the Fish site!’.

JulesRules, PJayBe and dvcarrick like this.
  4. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Say the end of this sentence quickly in a Sean Connery accent and you will catch exactly how I am feeling

edenofflowers, KDubATX and dvcarrick like this.
  5. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Oh well, that’s the way it goes given the circumstances. I’ve got plenty to listen to in the meantime. ;)

6. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

I was also thinking about asking for it to be exchanged -- got it from Marillion's Racket Store.
    Grendel first few mins are awful :-(

7. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Got mine (CDs) from Racket a few days ago. Guess I'm lucky with this one (Who knows when I'll see the Permanent Waves reissue.) Didn't order the second copy from Fish to get his signature this time because it's my least favorite Fish era album.

Admittedly wasn't as enthused as I could be because I don't really listen this studio era much, but I'm getting kind of excited about immersing myself in this release when I get more time. Haven't really had time to dig into it too deeply yet. Read the liners to the point where the got signed and the EP came out and listened to the EP. Haven't read too much about the really early history other than Wall's Market Square Heroes or Collins' Separated Out. (Perhaps I need to pull out the first remaster. Don't recall much about those accounts.)

They really cleaned the EP up a lot, but man is this loud. Really accentuates the passion and immediacy. I think I like it so far. Probably need to A/B some things.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  8. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

Burning Shed have just emailed me to say the release has been put back to mid-April, but to expect it being pushed back further.

9. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

For those who have it, what is the live stuff like (performance and audio)?

10. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

The vinyl sounds nice... but mine is full of clicks even after a clean... the live show at The Marquee sounds great... Fish sounds amazing... as anyone that saw them in 82-84 will remember... I had forgotten how good he sounded live.

the Blu-ray is loud, however the documentary is excellent and well worth a watch. Mick Pointer reminds me of Bill Oddie for some reason... I think he stills holds a grudge against “Derek Dick” ;-)

ytserush likes this.
  11. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

The bass on the 5.1 on the BluRay is awesome, and the bass pedals on the title track blew my mind. It's one of the 5.1s that really make you ear the album again anew.

LivingForever and Juggsnelson like this.
  12. Masquerade

Masquerade New Member

This stereo remix is god awful. Drums sound like someone smacking a cardboard box with a mallet. These barely sound like the same songs anymore (sans He Knows You Know which received the least damage somehow).

Makes the Collins-era Genesis remixes sound good in comparison. No hyperbole.

13. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

It is still available on Fish's store.

Costs more, but I suppose the gamble is do you want it now and pay more or will Warners release it on the 17th of April (at the great price on Amazon) or will they now hold off releasing it till later in the year.

I originally ordered it from Amazon, but figured musicians need our support at the moment, so forked out.

PS - ordered it Wednesday and received it today

Mark Snowden and dvcarrick like this.
  14. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Interesting shoutout to Tears for Fears, but they didn't start out as a live band. So the comparison is a bit unfair. But great interview.

"PT: Especially True…. that was… (long pause) you know what? I’m going to have to hold my hand up. I don’t remember." Ooops!

Why couldn't they stick with SW? He doesn't have the time... then give him the time. :sigh: I haven't heard it yet but those comments are not encouraging at all. :shake:

ytserush likes this.
  15. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

This for once actually feels like resembling a pretty decent set ....remixed album doesn't sound too bad (a little bright/loud in places - but not the hatched job they did on CAS). Associated tracks in the form of the EP. Live show audio and live show video. Promotional videos. And for once I didn't sit bored to tears during the documentary. If they had shoved on the demo's this would have been perfect.

I had written these sets off....but this ain't bad

Riccardo2, ytserush and KDubATX like this.
  16. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Can anyone put up the DR values? I mean, I'll get this eventually, I suppose, but some conflicting reports there. I had to put up those for AOS.

17. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I think Ian Mosley is excellent for Marillion, really none of the are flashy players. Ian and Pete do a fantastic job keeping the rhythm and pace for their songs.

drum_cas, Instant Dharma and ytserush like this.
  18. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Listened to the remixed studio album one time through earlier tonight. They really cleaned this up. First impression is that I'm fairly pleased with it although it was never hard wired to the brain like Misplaced and Clutching are. Out of those two and Afraid of Sunlight (the only ones I have) it might be the most improved recording. I've always liked the live material from this period but the remixes are giving me a renewed appreciation for the studio material. Can't wait to dig into the live show. Going to listen to 12/29 and 12/30/82 back to back this weekend.

Ghost of Ziggy and Kiss73 like this.
  19. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

I did the same early this week after reading how amazon are treating their workers at this time.
    Decided I'd rather spend more and support Fish. Received the set on Friday.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    ytserush, Instant Dharma and Kiss73 like this.
  20. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Order from Racket Record is apparently on its way from the other side of the pond.

From what I have read so far on this thread, I am a bit worried about this set SQ and after thinking it over, the original ‘Jester’ was lacking a bit in terms of production and SQ. There’s so much you can do with the original tape.

IMO, Fugazi SQ and mixing was way better and Misplaced was near perfect. I am eagerly waiting for the Fugazi box set to be announced.

JulesRules likes this.
  21. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Mine came from Fish today! Some good news at-last!

ytserush, Kiss73 and KDubATX like this.
  22. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

Yes, so did mine. Only ordered it yesterday as well. Looks like lots to read, listen to and enjoy.

ytserush, Kiss73 and Ghost of Ziggy like this.
  23. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Did he sign yours in silver?

Kiss73 likes this.
  24. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Mine was....only ordered this week.

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
  25. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

Yes he did :)

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.