Martin Barre

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Zerns, Jun 21, 2023.

1. Joel Zerns

Joel Zerns Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just seeing if there are any fans of Martin Barre out here. Always have been a big fan of his playing and have really enjoyed his solo work since JT and "his" spin on the Tull era songs. He is going on tour through the US coming up in the fall, and I hope to get tix's. Never seen him before.

Jethro Tull's Martin Barre shows and tour dates for 2023

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Yes, his shows are very much appreciated by the Tull fans here.

Sad to see he's playing the odd suburbs around Boston instead of coming into town (which he only has done once).

3. old school

old school Senior Member

Nothing out west bummer.

longdist01 and ronm like this.
  4. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Saw him last year in Cincinnati and it was a hell of a show!

5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I have heard very good things about his shows. A week or two ago I think he played near where I live but I found out at the last minute, and had reached my show limit for the month. Maybe next time.

Fred1 and Joel Zerns like this.
  6. Mickey2

Mickey2 Senior Member

I saw him maybe 10 years ago (who keeps track?) locally in a little Mexican restaurant / club in New Jersey. Very small crowd, standing room on the floor in front of the stage, close enough to check out his gear (guitars, pedals, etc.). I always enjoyed his playing with Tull. It's a shame that Anderson doesn't recognize how much fans appreciate what he brought to the band's sound.

hi_watt, ODShowtime, slipkid and 3 others like this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I can't imagine there's a TUll fan who doesn't enjoy Barre's playing. In current times..... well we know what happened, but that takes nothing away from the legacy of Anderson/Barre. He's a special guitarist, and quite unique.

8. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Monster fan! Saw his solo shows four times. Tull, about 15 shows. Don't miss his show!!

geodos, slipkid, footlooseman and 2 others like this.
  9. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I wouldn't mind seeing him.No shows out west though.

10. WalterBoyd

WalterBoyd Forum Resident

Martin Barre is doing a FREE outdoor concert TONIGHT at Parker Press Park in Woodbridge, NJ, starting at 7:30PM. This location is accessible by train from NYC and Newark, NJ via NJ Transit.
    I've seen him twice at this venue in past years, and I'm certainly not going to miss the show this evening.

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Closest to me is about six hours away. One day I hope to see him in concert. :)

A phenomenal guitarist!!

12. Joel Zerns

Awesome!! Hopefully a show review coming!!!

Fred1 and Michael like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...been a fan since the beginning of his Tull membership...love his style and sound.

slipkid, Fred1 and Joel Zerns like this.
  14. Joel Zerns

I know that combo of Anderson/Barre is excellent.....but I think I prefer some of his take's on the Tull stuff over the originals . Its more "rock " sounding with the guitar being more of the focal and minus flute and key's.

ODShowtime, slipkid and elgoodo like this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wow, that's pretty cool you are most fortunate! enjoy the show for us who cannot attend. ; )

Fred1 and elgoodo like this.
  16. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

(96/24 Stereo LPCM) The Demo Recording Session Maison Rouge Studios Dec, 15th 1981.
    This is one of Martin Barre's finest performances. Could be an album of its own. Will be on the Broadsword Monster Book-Set. Beyond great.

Flying Colours
    Me, Dinosaur
    Crew Nights
    Rhythm In Gold
    Honest Girl
    Seal Driver
    DJ Dream
    Jack-A-Lynn
    Fallen On Hard Times
    Drive On The Young Side Of Life

slipkid, footlooseman, Gary and 3 others like this.
  17. Joel Zerns

Thanks for he heads up!!!!

tootull likes this.
  18. Mickey2

Mickey2 Senior Member

BTW, thanks for the nudge. I see that Martin Barre is performing a free concert tonight at Parker Press Park in New Jersey. I'm there!!

Martin Barre

anth67 likes this.
  19. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Barre is rock royalty. God bless him.

20. Joel Zerns

21. WalterBoyd

WalterBoyd Forum Resident

Did you make it to the show? The rain held off, thankfully.
    While I'm not familiar with much of the later Tull material covered, he played selections from every era, starting with "Cat's Squirrel", a tribute to Mick Abrahams, who he said was his inspiration, followed by, "Back To The Family", "We Used To Know", "My God", snippets from "A Passion Play", "Songs From The Wood", "Minstrel In The Gallery", and, "Too Old To Rock and Roll Too Young To Die". He concluded the show with a very heavy, "Locomotive Breath", and "Teacher".

Martin played his black PRS, a cool mustard yellow Strat, a Taylor acoustic, and the flute on one number. He squeezes a lot of sustain, distortion, and pinch harmonics out of his Soldano amp rig, but what amazes me at his age is his dexterity on the fretboard, and picking hand, and how tight the band is on such complex arrangments. My photo is poor, but here you go:

[​IMG]

22. Mickey2

Mickey2 Senior Member

Yes, I did. I enjoyed it. It was something of a chronological "deep cuts" sort of show (from beginning up until Songs From The Wood, Heavy Horses), not favoring many obvious "hits" until the "encore" portion, eventually succumbing to audience shout-outs for Locomotive Breath (given the stage was right below the NJ Transit Station). I liked the fact that he interspersed things with alternate improvisational sections, even dabbling a little on flute (take THAT, Ian Anderson!). Friendly, personable banter. The gallows humor in me laughed to myself thinking he was playing to the "too old to rock n roll, but not too old to die" crowd, as I glanced around and saw my generation as a group of folding chair-seated geriatrics. :magoo:

23. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Some friends and I have tickets to the 10/19/23 Wabash, IN show. I can't wait to see this. He was here about 5 years ago, and I missed the show. I plan to make up for that.

Acoustic Warrior likes this.
  24. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

One of the best without doubt. Always loved his playing. I don't think Tull would have been nearly as successful w/o him. Definitely appreciated here.

PS thanks for tour info

slipkid likes this.
  25. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

You forget! Us geriatrics rule!

:laugh: