Martin McDonagh's 'Banshees of Inisherin'

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Sep 25, 2022.

1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I just finished watching the preview for Sophie's Choice three times, and it doesn't appear she even makes a choice. Forget it. Crap.

2. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

Just watched Banshees a few days ago...............Morbid!

Inspite of great acting, some humor, and beautiful scenery.

Chris DeVoe, JohnG and scott palmiter like this.
  3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I never thought Colin Farrell was much of an actor. Boy, was I wrong. He is incredible in this, is a joy to watch, and his performance stuck with me after the movie ended.

4. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

That’s how I described my feelings for the film. You can’t say it’s “enjoyable” because it’s so grim but the acting, scenery, directing are all fantastic. When it comes to the story and the film itself, I can say it stuck with me long after, making me think about various incidents and how I felt about them. That’s the mark of a great film I think.

5. glide

glide Forum Resident

You are correct (at least that’s my reading)

Gleeson (Colm) = NRA
    Farrell (Padraic) = Irish Free State

Chris DeVoe and nutsfortubes like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's just a guess by somebody who really has not a clue about Irish history, so your guess is as good as mine.

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

There was a thread on Twitter a few days ago that I'm still giggling about:

https://twitter.com/RichyCraven/status/1613537545715068929?t=xWUJGHbkMM4atY-WpWqK0w&s=19

Colin Farrell is the result of a decades-long propaganda campaign from Failte Ireland to make the world think Irish men are sexy and thoughtful rather than the weird, gnarled Celtic goblins we truly are.

"Operation Pierce Brosnan" was started in the 80s but Farrell is its greatest success.

Text from GF: Are you talking about how attractive Colin Farrell is on Twitter again?

Me: Yes

GF: Mention his eyebrows.

Now don't get me wrong, there's no finer body of gnarled Celtic goblins that I'd rather be part of.

It's very telling that more Irish men are mad about the "sexy" thing but not the "thoughtful"

"I'd love to meet a charming Irish man like Paul Mescal"

Tough, here is Niall. He has a completely spherical head and has strong opinions about Top Gear.

*Okay!*
    Yes, Aidan Turner, Jamie Dornan and Cillian Murphy are sexy but please remember that they only exist because we accidentally fed Colin after midnight one time in 2002.​

carrick doone and mmars982 like this.
  8. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

I have watched an Irish movie in the past year; a '60s-based movie titled THE BOYS AND GIRL FROM COUNTY CLARE from 2003. Directed by John Irvin.

The movie was originally titled "The Boys From County Clare" but at some point the 'And Girl' part of the title was shoe-horned in. I noted after watching the completed end credits the original title "The Boys From County Clare" pops up. Since a girl (Andrea Corr) does feature prominently in the story I thought it was a smart 're-title'. :righton:

9. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Your view concurs with mine. I think the film makes a virtue of misery.

As a statement on the divisions in Ireland's history, I much prefer the no-punches-pulled, but big-hearted 2013 movie about Belfast DJ Terri Hooley, who opened a record store on that city's most bombed street in the late 70s, called 'Good Vibrations', which happens to be the name of the film. In our own troubled times, it offers hope. Something we sorely need right now.

10. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Just watched this today. I enjoyed it. Not my favorite recent movie or anything but I’d rate it very good. It was funnier than I expected. In the beginning I was kinda on Colm’s side but the movie won me over to Padraic as it went on. Though by the end they had both lost it

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  11. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

Thanks for the tip. It's on Prime, with commercials, but they weren't as bad as watching a movie on AMC. Good flick, good fun set against the background of the Troubles. Kind of on an Irish roll now with Belfast, Banshees of Inisherin, and Good Vibrations, and enjoyed all three.

GillyT likes this.
  12. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

We saw it at the movies and despite the great acting and scenery (been to Ireland a few times), it is the kind of movie one and done. It’s on HBO Max now and I asked my wife, you want to watch it again? and she said No.

I did love the actress playing the sister (a real find) but just can’t stomach the awful bits.

Chris DeVoe and Frank Discussion like this.
  13. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

She played Mike’s daughter-in-law on Better Call Saul. Had no idea she was Irish.

nutsfortubes and Holler Wanderer like this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The donkey was the ⭐️

15. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I thought that was her, but wasn't fully sure. She was in the HBO show Rome and stole many scenes. If you haven't seen that show, check it out, shameless violence and nudity with some great acting.

Holler Wanderer likes this.
  16. Holler Wanderer

Holler Wanderer Too much of everything is just enough

You can't make me put my donkey outside when I'm sad.

17. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I was howling at that line

Holler Wanderer likes this.
  18. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

I loved Rome but saw it so long ago I don’t recall her scenes…not just hers to be honest. Probably should watch it again.

skinnyev likes this.
  19. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

Poor Jenny broke my hart and was glad the dog survived.

20. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

21. I just finished watching it on HBO MAX, so it's fresh in my mind. I pretty much agree with all of the above. I can't for the life of me think what Colm's motivation would be to do what he did, but maybe it's meant be symbolic. This is a wonderful film.

And the cinematography, with the beautiful Irish scenery! I could watch it again with the sound off, just for the visuals.

I was surprised and impressed with Kerry Condon's performance, too. I only knew her from Better Call Saul. I had no idea she was Irish. I assumed she was American and not much of an actress. Wrong on both counts!

22. Yep.
    One interesting tidbit I noticed in the closing credits: The song "Banshees of Inisherin" that Colm was writing in the film was written and performed by Brendan Gleeson. He actually can play that thing.

Frank Discussion likes this.
  23. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I thought this was really good (an understanding of the Irish conflict is necessary to make sense out of the chopping off fingers; without this underlying aspect it would be rather hamfisted). I am quite surprised that it didn't get a cinematography nomination from the Academy.

Riktator likes this.
  24. WOW, that is a surprise. I haven't seen any of the films that did get nominated for cinematography, but if they look better than "Banshees" this must be a banner year for cinematography.

Frank Discussion likes this.
  25. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Remarkable!
    ... given that by the end of the film, he had only one hand left. ;)

64FALCON likes this.