Martin McDonagh's 'Banshees of Inisherin'

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Sep 25, 2022.

1. Where there's a will, there's a way I guess.

wolfram likes this.
  2. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Saw this in our local art house theatre last Friday. My wife had suggested it, and I've really enjoyed McDonagh's past films, plus we have been to Inisheer (the smallest of the Aran islands) when we traveled around Ireland pre-kids. This film is set on a fictional version of them all, but was mostly filmed on the largest island Inishmore (and some on the mainland). Those srone walls are all over the island, and it's an incredible place to visit, we'd love to go back again one day.

I really loved the film, and I kept thinking it was going to get bad at some point, but it didn't. McDonagh is a master of dialogue that is funny, sincere and interesting without being too wordy. Too many films try to make it more than what it should be, but he keeps the plot and setting simple, and doesn't try to shoehorn in any epic dramatics where they don't belong.

You don't really have to understand all the nuances of the Irish Civil War and Irish history to understand the personal conflict between the characters, but it wouldn't hurt I suppose. Truly all those residents would have been speaking Gaelic (which is still the dominant language of the islands) but would have made for a less enjoyable film.

The film was hilarious and touching, and didn't need to have endless exposition to relate to the characters or the setting. I'm going to watch it again at home at some point. Truly one of the best films I've seen in quite a while.

Dan C, wolfram, ghoulsurgery and 2 others like this.
  3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

A beautiful film, felt like an adult Irish folk tale! I'm a big fan of Kerry Condon ever since I saw her in Luck and Ray Donovan

4. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I spent a couple days on Inishmore when I was in college and it was wonderful. Watching this definitely brought back the feeling of wandering around the island

jbmcb and citizensmurf like this.
  5. scott palmiter

scott palmiter Senior Member

thanks for the recommendation of this film. i watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. for those in the u.s. , it is available to stream for free on freevee.

GillyT likes this.
  6. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Saw this last night. Liked it but I didn't find it too much of a comedy myself.

brownie61 and RSteven like this.
  7. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Watched it a couple of nights ago, and really liked it. It reminded me of Local Hero, really low key, but instead of staying comedic the whole way through it gets pretty dark through the third act. My wife liked it until the dark turn bit, as it's not too graphic, but too graphic for her.

smilin ed and RSteven like this.
  8. WinstonOno

WinstonOno Forum Resident

I've never seen a film with so many undeserving award nominations.

If I had watched it without knowing it was up for so many awards I would have never thought it would be. Except for the fact that slow period pieces like it seem to always be overrated. It was a decent film. It got lame near the end.

SPOILER

The first cut off finger was sort of funny and conversations about it, but cutting off the other 4 and the setting the house on fire we're over the top and personally killed the charm of the movie.

I get Farrel's character was upset over the donkey choking on the finger, and Gleeson's character was probably losing his mind, but it was still too far fetched. Gleeson is also a bore in this, so his nominations are odd.

Colin Farrell was likable but would have been better had the movie been a straight comedy with a lot more humors Irish back and forth dialogue.

It wasn't much of a stretch for Colin so I'm surprised he's up for so many awards.
    Had he been English or American and played that part as an Irishman I could understand the praise, but knowing he's actually Irish makes it like okay, whatever.

Kerry Condon was good and so was Barry Keoghan, but I don't know if either were award worthy. Neither were standout performances I'd remember for supporting roles.

Even worse IMO is how McDonagh is up for directing awards. What did he direct?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    MLutthans, RSteven and brownie61 like this.
  9. Django

Django Forum Resident

The donkey is up for best supporting actor in a dramatic role.

RSteven and WinstonOno like this.
  10. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

there is strong competition from the donkey in EO. :D

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. Django

Django Forum Resident

I haven't seen it TBH.
    Looks like a load of paddywhackery.

RSteven likes this.
  12. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

Gleeson's character was driven to leave his mark on history with a musical composition, but had self doubt in his ability so he turned his feud with Farrell into an excuse for not fulfilling his dream.

But mostly I think the relationship was a metaphor for the insanity of the Irish Civil War occurring across the water.

RSteven likes this.
  13. WinstonOno

It does as much as Gleeson

RSteven likes this.
  14. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

He directed the actors, 4 superb performances

MoonPool and Jeff Kent like this.
  15. Berkson Here

Berkson Here Veni, vidi, vici

I thought this was overrated and pretty ridiculous, especially the self-mutilation. I did enjoy In Bruges which Gleeson and Farrell starred in, but I found Banshees severely underwhelming.

GyroT, RSteven and Chris DeVoe like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

If you get a chance, please watch The Quiet Girl. My wife and I saw it in the theater last night, and it was deeply moving.

Set in the 1980s, it's about the youngest daughter in a desperately poor family, who gets sent off to stay with an older cousin and her husband for the summer through the last months of the mother being pregnant with yet another child they can ill afford.

RSteven likes this.
  17. If you want to see a really enjoyable Gleeson movie, watch 'I went down'. Low budget and with a cast of unknowns and respected but journeyman actors, it's very very funny but sad in a few spots too.

Not for those though that dislike swearing.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. Double E

Double E Time is piling up, we struggle and we scrape

Am okay film, nothing special. Very much overrated. Pointless bordering on pretentious.

GyroT likes this.
  19. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

My favorite Brendan Gleeson movie is The Guard. Some funny stuff in that one.

nutsfortubes likes this.
  20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Watched it again last night with my other son who's home from college. My older son saw it in the theater and suggested I watch it. We all loved it.

TheAbsentMind likes this.
  21. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

I thought it was OK but certainly over hyped. I think because Ireland doesn't produce a lot of movies, something like this gets overly lauded.

Also as an Irish person I find this type of thing a bit much and a bit too mannered.

~dave~~wave~ and Willowman like this.
  22. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I definitely found it bit much. Saw a better irish flim last night, though, The Quiet Girl. That was pretty good.

MidnightRocks likes this.
  23. WinstonOno

I rewatched this movie and feel I was a bit harsh.

Just like with actual film critics, sometimes movies need a second go.

This time around I thought Condon was really good and even Keoghan and Gleeson improved.

The biggest difference this time was I did think Farrell was great.

I also picked up on the rival between him and Gleeson's character as being symbolic of the war across the way, and how the entire situation turned Farrell's character from a sweet loveable guy to possibly the opposite.

24. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

Thanks for this recommendation.
    The film opens here today for the "holiday" today at the campus art house showing foreign & indie product.

Booked for a two-week run, just watched the trailer together, plan to go.
    Looks charming, more up our street as well-crafted adult fare.

Please contact me privately so as not to spoil for others, if you need let us know at the end she murders the foster parents with an ax or something, OK?
    Appreciate it.

25. WinstonOno

When I'm wrong I say I'm wrong. This film kept pulling me back in spite of my poor and decent reviews.

This movie is now one of my all time favorite films, if you can believe that based on my initial clueless comments.
    Especially my opener which follows
    Now I feel like it's one of the most deserving of all its nominations and deserved far more wins across the board

Jeff Edwards, 80steen, jwstl and 4 others like this.