Marvel (MCU) Phase IV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jul 21, 2019.

1. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

You're obviously having some trouble comprehending the context of this discussion, Curveboy. I'm talking about what the MCU might use. We all know Psylocke, X-23 and a lot of that list has already been used by Fox. And I am talking about what the MCU will do for Psylocke's costume. The old Ms. Marvel wore something a lot like Psylocke, but the MCU went with the modern costume for Captain Marvel which covers her up enough that she could walk the streets of Saudi Arabia legally. But you're completely wrong to contradict me when I say a TON of characters on that long list have NOT been used by Fox. That is flat-out true.

alexpop likes this.
  2. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I like some of the Fox-Men movies, in particular Singer's X2 and Days Of Future Past which were mostly very well done. The weak point of a lot of those movies IMO was often the casting, besides Jackman's Logan/Wolverine. I'd argue the most popular team is actually the 1990's Jim Lee incarnation, which we kind of got (but not really) in the X-Men: Apocalypse flick.

If Marvel had had access to Spider-Man from the beginning of their movie universe, I think the version of him would have been far closer to Raimi's onscreen take, which so far has been the most 616-comic faithful. As it is, they had to fit him into a movie universe that was already many years and films underway, where it was mostly the Downey Jr / Iron Man show.

I do really despise how they've basically made Spider-Man Robin to Downey's Iron Man, wish they would tone those aspects way down. Tom Holland is great in the role, however.

Jim B. and JediJones like this.
  3. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I haven't really watched Spider-man since Tom Holland took over the role. I want Spider-man not Spider-boy!
    Shang-chi And The Ten Rings is already getting rave reviews, so I want to see that one. What I want Marvel and DC to do is go into some of their other characters. I'd love to see them bring some of their western characters to the big screen, it doesn't always have to be superheroes.
    I liked Jonah Hex, and would love to see Marvel do someone like the Rawhide Kid. A good serious, hardcore action-packed western shoot em up! Something totally different!

JediJones likes this.
  4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Most definitely. Hopefully some of this next phase will allow some more of the genre bending that started with Winter Soldier. Black Widow was sort of a James Bond film in some respects and Shang-chi looks to be a take on your standard martial arts flick. A western is definitely overdue, and it looks like somebody on Screenrant agreed with you five years ago: Why Marvel Studios Should Make a Western Movie

Hopefully bringing Blade into the MCU might mean we get a horror spin on the superhero movie.

New Mutants? Never heard of 'em. :D

Chrome_Head likes this.
  5. Chrome_Head

This debate has been raging for at least for the last 20 years in the comic realm--what is the sweet spot age range supposed to be of Spider-Man?? The teen hero Stan Lee introduced, or the college-age / mid-20's Peter Parker that most probably know him as?

For me, it's the latter, though Marvel have a weird obsession with portraying him as the teen hero.

Get Tarantino to direct it. :laugh: I'm only half-kidding.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I think ol' QT really would quit directing if he got tapped to do a Marvel movie.

Still, stranger things have happened; he did wax poetic about directing a Bond film, once.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  7. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Spider-Man is the quintessential teen hero. Why is that so difficult to grasp? Yes, he has ‘Man’ in his name - that’s part of the charm as he’s not yet an adult.

8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Holland is phenomenal...

alexpop and Chrome_Head like this.
  9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'd say over 50% of that list has been used already.

10. Chrome_Head

Yet he rapidly evolved out of that. The vast majority of his most popular stories that people know were from his post-teen years.

He was already entering college around 30 issues into the original Lee/Ditko run.

Peter being the "teen hero" was little more than a blip. And the irony of it all was, he had to help support his ailing, widowed Aunt, so he wasn't much of an actual "teen" in the traditional sense anyway.

JediJones likes this.
  11. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

It's fine to start him out as a teen. But he graduated from high school in 1965. Then from college in 1978. So he's been a full working adult for 43 out of 59 years. And if you look at how many actual titles were printed during those years, his titles multiplied in those post-college years, so the percentage based on story would be even higher than the percentage based on years. The Raimi movies were on the right track, getting him out of high school after one movie so he could grow and evolve.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  12. Chrome_Head

Likewise, they graduated Andrew Mcquire's Peter Parker from High School in the first or second film of the Mark Webb rebooted Sony movies.

I can see why they want to linger a bit longer on the High School Peter Parker in the MCU, as they have a much more age-specific actor in the role for the first time.

If anything, I'd rather see Holland's Spidey be more of a loner hero--but there's no chance of that now that he's been palling around the Avengers for several movies.

Curveboy likes this.
  13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Interesting poll. I hope we get Doop.

All I want is the Avengers getting their arses kicked by somebody and just about to be defeated when there is a flash of lightning and the X-Men slowly appear, Kitty phases through some big robot and the audience loses their mind as Wolvie and Colossus do the fastball special.

They take down the enemy quickly and one of the Avengers says 'who are you' and Cyclops says 'We're the X-Men'.

Job done.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  14. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I don't think it's all doom and gloom for Marvel. Not at all. They will still do well. I do think however they will never quite match the hype and momentum of the ramp up to Infinity War through Endgame. However that's a near impossible task anyway. As popular as Star Wars was and still is, it will never match the original trilogy in terms of hype and sheer momentum. It's come close with both the lead up to The Phantom Menace and then later with The Force Awakens , but it'll never has or will match the pop culture dominance it had circa 1977-83....and that's ok. I see the same future for Marvel. It'll become this solid performer and still have a strong fan base, but the run of movies from 2008-2019 will always be seen as the highlight and the standard and everything will be compared to the best of that era.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  15. Chrome_Head

That would be an interesting way to do it--introduce them as an established team first, then back track and show their formation in their own film, maybe?

Would be even bigger if they were able to do something like this and not have it leak beforehand.

Jim B. likes this.
  16. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

And don’t forget about “Marvel Time”! because while from 1962 from 1965, Peter was aging more or less in real time, Marvel started to decouple the characters ages from the time passing, now the informal process known as Marvel Time.

So while yes under current rules Peter Parker didn’t actually graduate until 1978 real time. That only meant that Peter was in affect ageing about 3 times slower. To him it was 4 years but to us? 13.

If Pete had kept in lockstep from the beginning he would have been 20 in 1967 and out of College by 1969.

17. davenav

And is that not where they are heading in this series?

But, my point is this - he is the personification of every teen who buys the book! He gets picked on, put down, and pushed around. That audience renews itself every year as another generation grows into comic-buying age.

It was a mistake to age him too much. No kid cares about his married life. This is why it was genius to get him back to that nerdy high-school sophomore.

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Psylocke / Olivia Munn should have been in the last X-Men film.. a bit of glamour wouldn’t have gone amiss.

JediJones likes this.
  19. Chrome_Head

He was a twenty-something when I started reading the book as a kid---the wedding to Mary Jane came soon after. I never once felt like I couldn't relate to the character. At least not until they did that crap in the 90's of bringing back his clone and replacing Peter with him.

His High School years are such a small part of his history, and an overrated status quo to trap him in. Though I see why they did it in the MCU--they made everyone a wise-cracking jokester like Spider-Man already. Having him be a High School student helped him stand out in the cast.

JediJones likes this.
  20. davenav

No. Everything about his character stems from his high-school years. I believe they aged him so quick in the Raimi films because McGuire was in his thirties. Later, Andrew Garfield’s Peter Parker seemed like a college kid - calmer, and cooler. Both cases led the audience away from the mad rush of teenage adrenaline found in the early, defining Lee/Ditko stories.

Kevin Feige had to reboot the MCU Spidey and he went back to the energy of the early stories, while not telling the same origin again, and throwing in enough surprises to keep modern readers happy. A tough balancing act! But, he did it.

I love every part of the MCU, but these Spider-Man films stand out, even amid all those amazing films because of their sheer exuberant energy, and because they got his character right at long last.

Curveboy likes this.
  21. Chrome_Head

No--they got him right except for making him a Tony Stark groupie, who gets his high-tech costumes from the Avengers. That has very little to do with how he was portrayed early on. It actually has nothing to do with how he debuted in the 1960's, except for the High School connection. Spider-Man started out as a loner, who even scoffed at joining the Fantastic Four when he learned it didn't pay anything. Who ran out of web fluid during a fight with Dr Octopus, instead of having infinite resources. That's early Spider-Man.

I like the MCU Spidey too, those are some of the best Spidey movies yet. The High School stuff is cutesy fun and the supporting cast is often great, Zendaya especially. But having him as a High Schooler is not a way I have to see him portrayed, because it has little to do with who he really is as a superhero.

JediJones and GregM like this.
  22. davenav

The Iron Man connection is from the modern era comics, but Peter Parker has always had mentors - mostly his professors or Ned’s dad. Generally they would end up as adversaries, but there was oftentimes a personal connection. Being mentored by Tony is just a variation on that.

Isaac K. likes this.
  23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

No, her costume was embarrassing, you can't just take the costume from the comics, it doesn't work. You need to make it work in real life, and no one would dress like that.

Not as awful as Emma Frost though. Dear lord.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

real life “?
    Lol ... it’s a superhero movie for christsake..:laugh:

JediJones likes this.
  25. Chrome_Head

Well, I won't debate that aspect except to point out that yes, Peter Parker had mentors, like Curt Connors, but they didn't know he was Spider-Man.

The only modern Iron Man connection I can think of is Stark coercing Peter to unmask to the world during the "Civil War" comics storyline, leading to his Aunt being shot by a sniper and Peter and Mary Jane having to go on the run. And Marvel just hand-waving it all away with the terrible "One More Day" reboot.

The MCU Spidey movies are missing a bit of the tension of Peter's dual identity, though the ending of Far From Home kind of hinted that it could be a big plot point for the next movie.

JediJones likes this.