Marvin Gaye - What's Going On - 50th anniversary speculation & wishlist thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lecords, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Vinylbeast

Vinylbeast But does it sound good?

Thanks! Looking forward to you answering the questions that have been posted. Specifically on sources and pressing/mastering info.

Riccardo Berg, timnor and Lanark like this.
  2. schizzzo

schizzzo Forum Resident

Yes he is.

3. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

That's what the major will say, I would speculate.
    The EU sticker keeps the KG / AAA fluff, but then states that the vinyl was cut at Dublin Vinyl. And that's when this whole thing goes to another level, namely from "honest minor mistake" to something akin to fraud (as in: willingly deceiving the other party).
    Not a lawyer, just the way I see it.

4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I agree. I think it’s primarily because he’s a wealthy male, so people seem to assume evil intentions. He is a relatively new collector and has given great reviews to Analogue Productions product. Many people were calling him a shill for Analogue Productions, assuming he is receiving free records for praising them - basically accusing him of dishonesty. Meanwhile, Melinda, another similarly recent audiophile youtuber, is even more effusive in her praise of Analogue Productions, but not only do people refrain from any criticism whatsoever, they send her private messages with nurturing “tips” and care packages with records they think she’ll like. It’s practically comical.

ARK, WithinYourReach, Budley and 5 others like this.
  5. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I’m with you 100%. So many “gifts” and dudes tripping over themselves to praise. She does seem like a genuinely nice person though. I told my wife we should start a YouTube channel featuring her :D. She’s neck and neck with me on music knowledge.

6. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I went through a similar ridiculous hunt for a Steve Hoffmann Rumours, eventually with the help of a forum member getting one sent from the US. It was off center and you can hear it. I can’t be bothered to go through the same hunt again for this release. I have a Motown original which I love.

Anyway I’m 56 so my hearings f***ed and I probably won’t hear any difference. Perhaps I’ll invest the money in a Detroit mix vinyl. Or the new The Smile LP. So much great music coming out this year. Stay positive!

7. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

As I have said, the KG Is different and not as overtly laden with audiophile detail like soundstage and whatnot as the OneStep, but it's surely really good and it's very musical.

CBackley likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hello, I just popped in here because I was told to get my butt here pronto. I have this album on Motown and the CD on Motown. I'm set, thanks.

OBLITERATES?

Nothing can ever obliterate a Kevin Gray mastering. That is all.

ARK, Tracey, snkcube and 26 others like this.
  9. Believe me, Chad is not handing out free product to any of these folks (myself included). And my guess he's probably not a great tipper too (me editorializing). Aside from maybe Fremer occasionally getting promo copies, he might be upgrading shipping so they receive a release first or maybe add a freebie here and there? He is aware of these so called influencers but not partaking in having them promo his releases. Since they already do that after buying them.

This entire thing is no different than record store buyers, reviewers and DJ's getting free records, When I was in the biz, I'd get a hundred or two free records every month and I didn't have xx thousand subscribers or followers back then.

highfell likes this.
  10. HAHAHAH! Yeah!

And BTW thanks for liking my Linda Ronstadt posting of your two hits mastered records yesterday on Instagram . This was my very first listen to them and they are simply stunning (#kissass). I acquired them from my good friend who passed away last year. He was a regular here @chacha and I miss him greatly. His record collection was amazing and was a friend of 48 years. Anyway it was a great listening session. Thank you!

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Glad you liked 'em!

Fruff76 likes this.
  12. Fruff76

If Mazz talking about the DCC, I bought the first one and it was the record I would play to show off my stereo. I was in my early 20’s jamming out to that with my Air Force buddies. Still one of the best sounding in my collection.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

She's better looking than Mike! I suppose it's nice to see a woman audiophile as there aren't many of them.

45 RPM Audiophile and Fruff76 like this.
  14. Fruff76

Mike has introduced me to some pretty cool stuff, that I otherwise would’ve never known about. Not just audiophile pressings.

Greenalishi, AFA and mr.dave like this.
  15. teag

teag Forum Resident

Cha cha...didn’t know that. He was a really nice, gentle guy. We PMed a bit.

Mazzy, Fruff76 and Tommyboy like this.
  16. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

Like Neil Young ; live at Carnegie Hall. Simply stunning sound wise and only £20 +- for a double LP.

Now he has persuaded me to buy NY’s 4th boxset analogue remaster …….

ARK and Fruff76 like this.
  17. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I mean, I have heard certain masterings I have slightly preferred over his, but he's always in the ballpark, so "obliterates" is probably too strong a verb.

CBackley likes this.
  18. Yeah. He was A great working musician too.

teag likes this.
  19. vinyl>cd

vinyl>cd Climb To Glory / Fly To Glory

Class action suit incoming. I don’t know if European lawyers are like American lawyers. If they are anything like them and there’s a lawyer in this forum, they must be salivating. I know consumer protection laws are much stricter in the EU than here in good ol’ USA. I say easy money. Easy money!

20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That is a great one. I bought the CD and the vinyl. Didn't even have a turntable at the time. My vinyl is actually still sealed, and I just bought a new Chris Bellman cut so I'm not sure when I'll pop the cork . . . . :hide:

Mazzy likes this.
  21. Yes that’s the one. It’s so good

Fruff76 likes this.
  22. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Can I ask how the CB sound? I haven't seen it mentioned in the forum...

23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I can only speak for myself. I don't follow anyone on any platform. How people put so much stock in some YouTuber's opinion is so extremely odd to me. It'll never make sense to me but it's amazing what a YouTube account can result in people doing.

ARK likes this.
  24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Typical for Grundman/Bellman, it excels where unamplified instruments (acoustic guitars, fiddle, piano, drums) are prominent. A very natural, organic presentation. I like it. The record labels say it was "made in the Czech Republic", which would lead you to think it was pressed at GZ vinyl, but the matrix contains "MRP", which suggests that it was pressed at GZ's new subsidiary Memphis Records Pressing. So, not sure how to read this.

He also cut Greatest Hits 2. Make sure you buy the black vinyl if you want Bellman's cuts. The colored vinyl versions are done by someone else.

[Edit] Sorry, just wanted to add that I put this on when I saw your message, and "Long Long Time" is playing, and it is gorgeous . . literally had to stop working and listen.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
    WhatDoIKnow and Strat-Mangler like this.
  25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

What are you saying? That despite 7000+ albums and $45,000 invested in a home stereo system, I believe everything I hear from a youtube audiophile newbie simply because I subscribe to his channel?