Marvin Gaye What's Going On - Best affordable pressings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwitt1980, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm looking to get this one and curious about the vinyl pressings. I would probably really like to keep it to a single disc unless the alternate mix came out in a package. I just don't want to flip the album every 3 songs.

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Original UK or German Tamla-Motown. US Tamla original LP discs sound great, but pressing quality is a crapshoot.

3. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

4. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Seems like this album gets reissued every other year. I have a Tamla 70s copy but it has a very bad deep scratch for about 5 min. on the 1st side that ruins it. I would buy a reissue if it was decent.

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

1980s Motown reissue. I forget the name of the engineer who cut it, but it sounds quite good and is very affordable.

FashionBoy, rxcory, cwitt1980 and 2 others like this.
  6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I’m pretty sure it’s John Matousek. I have this pressing, as well as the MOFI. I think I play the 80’s reissue more.

hi_watt, McLover, FashionBoy and 4 others like this.
  7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That’s it! Thanks.

FashionBoy and jon9091 like this.
  8. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Yes, definitely seek out the early 1980s Motown reissue 5339ML with John Matousek mastering. Marvin's voice sounds natural, the bells and percussion have nice impact, and the vinyl quality is generally ok. In some ways, it's still the best sounding pressing, and I have heard them all (including the MoFi Ultradisc, which I just got).

The Matousek version has blue Motown labels and the non-gatefold jacket usually has a bar code. "JM" is hand scribed in the deadwax of both sides. Most dealers view the 80s Motown reissue as less collectible, and therefore price them accordingly.

Original yellow Tamla label TS310 pressings (in a gatefold jacket) can be expensive, and are usually noisy and the RCA mastering can be strident. I've seen prices for those all over the map. You'd probably have to go through a lot of original Tamla's to find a good one. I have had many (living near Detroit, it's a common record) and I have one copy that really sounds nice on side one. It's not on Dynaflex like most of the early pressings. Instead, it's pressed at Southern Plastics on medium weight regular vinyl.

I actually feel the title track itself has my favorite sound on the best original Tamla pressings, so I wouldn't write them off. Something about the dark compression seems to do that track a lot of favors, since it's not so well recorded. It's the classic warm fuzzy Motown sound to my ears, even if it's not audiophile. But the rest of the album is clearly better on the Matousek version to me.

Most other pressings of What's Going On are generally dull and lifeless. The new Ultradisc has its charms, and the detail can sometimes be quite impressive. "Right On" and "Inner City Blues" are stunning on the Ultradisc, but it doesn't come cheap.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  9. Rob998

Rob998 Well-Known Member

I have the Abbey Road 1/2 speed master boxset:

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

To my ears it sounds fantastic, a really well mastered and pressed issue. The Detroit Mix is just fantastic and the live albums are very well done too.

hi_watt, FashionBoy and Tommyboy like this.
  10. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

The original Tamla vinyl sounds great to my ears. I have a NM vinyl, so it sounds better than many flawed reissues that often come out of the sleeve with pops & ticks. or with not so great remastering. So if you ever run across a NM or VG+ original Tamla (US) vinyl, don' let it pass by.

The only vinyl release I am seeing out now is from Vinyl Lovers, and it runs around $22-24...the quality is unknown to me, but I would beware. That is quite reasonable, or is it just cheap.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  11. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Another vote for the Matousek cut from '84. Sounds like it was cut from the master tapes. Blew away my first pressing, which I later sold. Here's the Discogs link:

hi_watt, FashionBoy and TLMusic like this.
  12. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

There’s a near mint 84 Matousek vinyl 5339 ML with the blue label on Discogs for $40 or best offer if you are interested. The new MFSL is $125 but apparently going for silly amounts in some places already. I’d be tempted by the Discogs one if I were your side of the Pond. As others have said, there is a fairly recent Back to Black/Tamla box set with the original album, the Detroit mix, and the Kennedy Center live version etc (i.e. the vinyl version of the 2001 deluxe CD set done by Kevin Reeves). OK if you want a cheapish mint set.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  13. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

I saw this at of all places Wal Mart the other day. Wasn’t in shrink, but a Japanese style thick plastic resealable outer?

anyone know if this is any good? I’m just looking for an occasional player...

hi_watt likes this.
  14. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

well I went ahead and picked this up. It was this version. The Wes Garland/United pressing. And my verdict is that it was well done! Even the United pressing quality was excellent. Exactly what I wanted for $20.

hi_watt and DuctTapeTheory like this.
  15. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

Just picked up this version today. it was $32.99 CDN, but I had some money on a gift certificate so
    It only cost me about $20. The pressing quality is SUPERB, and it’s a nicely mastered version. Nice soundstaging. Marvin’s voice could be a touch clearer, but I don’t know that it’s worth the silly prices that the MFSL One-Step is asking to get it. (I had the old MFSL single-LP version of this album robs ago, but sold it...it never blew me a way. Always kind of meh.) Will look out for the 1984 US JM pressing, but this one will do damned nicely until then (and maybe even afterwards).

hi_watt likes this.
  16. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

So does this sound good to youse guys' ears.?..I have it and find it stunning on my system...haven't heard any later HQ reissues.
    Mine is a Tamla first pressing, NM:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mt.Elga likes this.
  17. Zoot45

Zoot45 Well-Known Member

I am also looking for a good affordable pressing. Does anyone know how the 1987 US pressing 2815ML is compares to the 84. Looks like JM in the dead wax but slightly different matrix though the 1987 still has 5339ML in the dead wax.

1984 matrix per discogs
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 1, etched): 5339ML-A-1SA ZIK #13 JM WZJO
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 2, etched): 5339ML-B- ISB ZIK #13 JM WZJO
    1987 matrix per discogs
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 1): 5339ML-A-1SA ZIK #12 JM 2815-A
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 2): 5339ML-B-1SB ZIK #12 JM

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Matousek mastered 1980's Tamla LP, I recommend highly. It's a nice sounding later reissue for reasonable money, and less expensive and easier found in better condition.

hi_watt and jgrillo like this.
  19. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Does anyone know if NZ Motown pressings in late 70s/80s used UK EMI stampers as their base? I know they did for other labels under EMI but not sure if it was widespread for all under their umbrella, such as Tamla Motown.

Mine's a pinkish-red TM label that uses the EMI font typical of the era. Sounds good.

20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The Matousek test pressing uses Quiex vinyl. Sounds very good!

hi_watt likes this.
  21. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

22. Samson85

Samson85 Member

Any clue on the sources for the upcoming
    Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (Original Detroit Mix) LP?

lemonade kid and domesticmachine like this.
  23. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I owned a Scorpio from the mid 2000s. It was mastered by David Cheppa at Better Quality Sounds. I was a bit held back because of it being a Scorpio, but I can assure you that it sounded great and the fact that specific mastering information was on the deadwax is proof that this isn't a standard crappy Scorpio.

Unfortunately, my copy was too noisy for my taste so I bought a copy of the Matousek famous cut. In general, the Matousek cut sounds better, it's more organic while the Scorpio sounded a bit more analytical. JM cut favours Marvin's voice while the Scorpio favours the bassline and drums. I really like both and the Scorpio can be found for a lot less than the JM. Just make sure you ask the seller for play grading. My copy looked pristine but was a bit noisy. I'd grade it VG.

24. pauleyh

pauleyh Audiophile and Music Archivist Expert

The one step is the clear winner in my book. The 80s to my ears seems compressed it’s quiex wax can handle a lot of wear and tear. The UK Tamla-Motown is too thin always purchase a title by an artist within the country of Origin. The half speed at Abbey Road sounds amazing only downfall is changing sides numerous times on a listening basis that’s my second place. The Original CD pressed by CBS/Sony RECORDS it says on Disc hub is also amazing on the original it doesn’t state the Engineer it was issued in 1983.

25. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Thank you for your insight on the different pressings, but you start your post on a budget pressings thread saying the one step is the winner. That's everything but affordable.

Btw, Kevin Gray is working on a reissue of this one so people who are looking for a good pressing might want to hold on for a bit until we know more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.