DCC Archive Mastersound's S&G's Bridge Over.....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeffrey, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Hi,

Always loved S&G's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and just gotta chance to listen to Mastersound's release this weekend. My vote: two ears up. Liked the clarity, dynamics & detail. What do ya think? This is a Sony by-product (or was) so somebody must disagree. If so, what release is better?

Let the Good Times Roll,
    Jeffrey

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The Classic Records 45RPM'er. I did a direct off of tube preamp and sent a copy to someone here in the forum on CDR. Let he who has it speak of it. ;) I forgot who I've sent it to.

Snarfed the 4 slab-set from Trumpet right before they upped the price. Ya gatta grab most every popular release from Classic Recs on 45 within a month, or they'll go OOP.

3. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Sorry guys,

I have to disagree. I have 3 different presses of S&G BOTW LP: CBS Mastersound, Classic Records 45RPM and Columbia US reissue. I was surprised how dull and lifeless both Mastersound and Classic reissues sound (see my post at Audio Asylum). Standard US Columbia reissue has much more details and that "Breath of life" we're all hunting for. And that was a surprise as well. It prooves there's no problem with the master tape. My advise: try to find yourself Columbia original pressing. It should worth the efforts. I keep trying to find myself one.

Regards, Sanfi4u

4. Unknown

Unknown Guest

:confused:

BOTW on original vinyl should be common as dirt, cheap, and easy to find in great condition, IME.

5. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Ooops...just noticed you are in Moscow!

6. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Patrick,

I don't expect it to be a big problem even in Moscow (although it differs from US). I just don't try too hard knowing orig. press BOTW will find me occasionally (don't forget I already have 3 copies of BOTW).

7. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I agree ... I found a near-mint original US 2-eye in my local Goodwill for $1 (along with similarly minty 2-eyes of most of the other S&G records ... that was a good day). I don't have the Classic 45rpm, but I have their LP version (and the MasterSound CD), and the original 2-eye is my favorite.

The 45rpm version may be very good ... but for $1, I feel a good original is better bang for the buck. YMMV ...

8. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I don't know about the LP versions but I did a A/B comparison between the Mastersound CD of BOTW and the latest remaster and I found it hard to select the one I prefer. I like them both for different reasons. The remaster is louder, vivid, it has more treble and seems to have more definition. The Mastersound gives you an rich analog sound closer to what you could hear directly from a tape machine. I found these observations also true for the MSFL Bookends with the remaster. Common thing for many other so called 'modern' sound vs the 'audiophile' if the original master is used (Peter Mew not involved in the project of course). To listen to the original tone made in the sessions is what I usually prefer but SOME of the remastered reissues out there are quite good and musical even if a digital processing was done. Only an opinion.

9. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I have both the Mastersound BOTR and the Mobile Fidelity Bookends...let's just say the Mastersound sound is a little underwhelming...

10. Ronald

Ronald Senior Member

I'll throw my hat in to the ring. In order of listening preference: Classic Records 33.3 (This pressing seems to handle the very high "... like a bridge over troubled water" blast near the end of the tune with the least distortion); MFSL version(extremely quiet JVC Super Vinyl); original vintage Columbia pressing; CBS European pressing; Sony Mastersound gold CD and lastly the Columbia half speed. There is something funny going on with the EQ of the 1/2 speed. I don't know if someone is jiggling the upper midrange and lows, but the bass is kind of loose and the upper end sibilants/sibilance sound unnatural.

I have the Classicrecs 45 rpm, but have not broken the seal. I am too lazy to move the belt to the larger pulley on my turntable for the 45 rpm setting.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with tape hiss. I wish the record masterers would just leave the hiss in place.

The gold CD sounds slightly louder than the regular aluminum issue. Both are alleged to be the Super Bit Mapped 20 bit masters, but I think Sony/CBS/Columbia transferred at a slightly higher level to the gold CD so that the buyers paying the $24.95 would think there is something better about the gold disk. I still like it anyway and bought it when it first was issued7.

11. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Ronald,

I'm surprised you rate Classic 33.3 version that high (although I never heard it). I expected Classic Records provides (or pretends to provide) best sound quality possible by its 45RPM releases. Even in comparison to its own 33.3 version. Otherwise what is this 45RPM expensive version for?

As I said I was very surprised that in terms of sound it was beaten by 70ies Columbia reissue hands down. Since then I try to stay away of these 45RPM sets and lean towards original pressings. In most of the cases it proves to be a right strategy. Although, I agree, many reissues sound very musical. Classic Rec Miles Davis KoB 2LP set is a good example. I love it.

12. Ronald

Ronald Senior Member

I'll open the S&G 45 rpm set eventually. I think one has to be in a serious listening mood to enjoy the higher speed version. Each disk has only two or three songs and that means dropping the cartridge onto the record, sitting down and then getting up after six minutes to remove the record and then putting another one on.

I agree the early regular pressings of S&G's lps have excellent sound. If one has them, one would be hard-pressed to find an economical justification buy any later re-issue, other than curiosity. The improvements made by the Classicrecs and MoFi versions are incremental not quantum. The only thing of note is the high note that Art sings near the end of Bridge. The Classicrecs seems to avoid the distortion other pressings have. Even the gold CD has the saturation problem, to my ears.

I bought the Classic 45 versions of music I like so that I won't regret not buying it later. Previous regrets include not buying Pink Floyd's WYWH on gold CD, trading an original Columbia "Six Eyes" Chicago Transit Authority for lunch money when I was in college, trading my original pressing of the Boss's "The River" for lunch money, not buying the MoFi "The Wall" and others.

My worst error was not buying a brand new sealed copy of MoFi's reissue of "Blood Sweat & Tears" MFSL 1-251 for $22.95 at a record store in Ventura, CA in March 1997. I had no idea only 1000 pressing were made. Now that thing is worth big bucks.

I also regret not getting the Super Disk pressing of Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" at a record store in Orlando, FL. It is very rare. It is alleged to be the best sounding pressing available. Even better than an original British DJM label.

Oh well, fish stories abound. Happy listening!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.