Matthew Rhys is “Perry Mason” in HBO limited series? *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Thought the first 2 episodes were near perfect television. Loved it. It’s got a real grimey James Ellroy LA Confidential type of vibe to it. Read a recap for each episode that helped a lot.

I’m a big fan of Queen Of The South so I was delighted to see sexy voice Verónica Falcón as Perry Mason’s girlfriend.

2. trd

trd Forum Resident

It was! Glad I tuned in.

MikaelaArsenault and audiomixer like this.
  3. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Three episodes in and I think it's great. So far it's among the best modern noir I've seen. Almost as good as Chinatown or LA Confidential. I hope the quality and intrigue keep up for the remaining episodes.

4. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

re the latest version....is the real killer still always in the court room at the end ?

5. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

It took a lot of grit to survive Episode 1, setting the stage, I guess, Episode 2 made more sense and became watchable and so on.

MikaelaArsenault and audiomixer like this.
  6. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

I don't get the dislike. It's a really solid noir, and it's gorgeously shot.

7. I liked it too and will continue watching it. I do agree that it has precious little in common with the old TV series of the same name, but that hardly precludes my enjoyment of the show.

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Best episode yet last night. Once you set aside expectations tempered by previous Mason interpretations this one can be very satisfying.

9. The Wanderer

As I watch, I picture Downey in the role, and it would have become Downey's Perry Mason, better as it turned out.

smilin ed and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  10. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Episode four was another great one. I fear we have seen the last of EB, but you can see how they're t-ing up what drives Perry.

I just listened to an interview with Matthew Rhys. Another one of those actors I didn't realize wasn't American, but Welsh. He said that the Gardner estate was pro the new direction.

JohnK

11. Bender Rodriguez

"That's a dead body."
    "I told you he was an expert."
    :biglaugh:

googlymoogly and Pete Puma like this.
  12. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Tried to watch episode 1. I say tried because I got about 3/4 of the way thru it and gave up. One of the most boring things I ever tried to watch. It's not for me. I'm out. I'll stick with the original TV series.

freddog likes this.
  13. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Incredible, surprising developments to improve the show by the end of ep. 5 to make the show much more interesting. I hope they change their minds about this just being a limited series.

14. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Ask and ye shall receive.

‘Perry Mason’ Renewed For Season 2 At HBO – Deadline

15. AKA

John Lithgow was phenomenal, especially in episode four. I hope he gets nominated for an Emmy.

16. The Wanderer

I'm still with it, but's definitely a labor of love - do enjoy Tatiana Maslany's Sister Alice, however.

MrSka57 likes this.
  17. AKA

I once had to do a report on Aimee Semple McPherson, so Sister Alice is a fascinating character for me.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

quit watching after episode 4, just too darn slow and boring. but i am learning that is the way of serialized TV nowadays....slow and boring. something might not happen each and every week, get used to it.

19. Bender Rodriguez

Film noir isn't everyone's cup of tea.

20. AKA

By the way, did anyone recognize this little tune played over the end credits of episode five?

Vidiot likes this.
  21. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

When was last time he wasn't phenomenal?

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

he should have won the oscar for 'bombshell".

AKA likes this.
  23. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

One gorgeous babe!

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I started singing the old 1950s theme song the moment I heard it. I said, "hey! A modernized version of the Fred Steiner Perry Mason theme!"

Well, they're about to start the trial and the courtroom scenes are going to begin in the next episode, so I'd say that's the worst possible time to stop watching. They needed 4 episodes to explain who Perry Mason is, what his background is, and how an ex-soldier with no college degree could suddenly pass the bar and become a lawyer in 4 weeks. That to me is a stretch -- I know people who've studied for 12 hours a day for months after law school and barely passed the bar -- but we'll assume that back in 1932, the bar exam was a lot easier. Still, it takes considerable skill to be a trial lawyer, especially a high-profile murder case.

I concede that one person's "slow and boring" is another person's "tense, measured pace." I wasn't bored, but I think all the stuff after <a certain big character's> death just wasted time. I'm more concerned that it took them only five minutes from the time Della decided that Perry needed to become a lawyer, from the time he was getting sworn in at the California Bar Association ceremony. I think the reality is, doing a montage of Perry Mason reading law books for six months would be pretty boring to watch.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  25. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

They need to revise the Stanton-Walsh rule to include Shea Whigham