MC Cartridge Life

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Andy, May 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Try a Cardas sweep record, cheaper than a demager.

I use a Cardas sweep record for demaging my MC (I have heard it works ok with MM, just a phase shift for defluxing). It also is supposed to ultrasonically clean your stylus. This is much cheaper than buying a demag device. The record can be used several times before replacing it is needed. They cost about $16 and can be ordered from many places such as Audio Advisor, Music Direct, or Acoustic Sounds. If you do indeed replace the cartridge, I would recommend that you buy a good stylus brush and cleaner like Last, in addition to StyLast, which reduces stylus wear. I have had very good luck with both. In many cases, the rubber surround will wear out before the stylus does (wear, Ozone and lack of Humidity are the biggest wear factors there). One word of caution, do not use the Stylast liberally, as if it creeps up the shaft and into the coils, that will cause havic!
    A clean record also is a records best friend. If you play LP's that much, I would invest in a good record vacum system such as the Nitty Gritty or the VPI. Both are excellent (everyone will have an opinion as to which is best), I have the Nitty Gritty, and I love the sound of clean vinyl after vacuming it.

Good Luck, and may the sound of vinyl be with you!

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.