McCartney Album "NEW" (2013), part21

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I find this offensive. There's no need to personalize it and impugn the integrity of others.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Paul H likes this.
  2. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Is the song from the video game Destiny on this? I just heard said song, I actually didn't mind it.

3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I don t mean this as offensive in any way. When interpreting art or lyrics or whatever we always do it based on our personalities experiences and fantasies.. Pshycological research shows that about 80percent of our interprations are based on our individual experiences. Thats why different people can see totally different things in a painting or make different interprations of poetry or in this case lyrics to a song. It s all up to each and everyone. So whatever interpration you, I or anyone does of Hosannah must be the correct one based on our experiences , fantasies and personalites- not on some objective fact. If you find this offensive I really don t understand why.?

4. Frank

Frank Senior Member

If it applies universally, why did you say "some posters"? You know exactly what you meant and exactly why it's offensive to suggest.

5. Cord

Cord Forum Resident

Hope For The Future is a great McCartney song. Instead of just listening to a new McCartney song for the pleasure and enjoyment it brings, some people have been brainwashed into listening for critique purposes only, then work to compare it to past songs which belittles the purpose for which the song was intended. I suggest going back to basics and learn to listen for the quality of newness, originality, pleasure and listening enjoyment within Paul's great gift. A song is meant to be enjoyed and should move you in some way, not be dissected and torn apart.

6. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Glenn, I'm a McCartney fan, so by definition I have a pretty high tolerance for weak lyrics -- although I tend to prefer his songs where the typical great melodies are paired with strong (or at least decent) lyrics. Again, it's not about the "weakness" of the "Hosanna" lyrics, it's the uncomfortably one-sided vibe of them, and you highlighted the most disturbing line. I mean, really -- if you have to say "Calm down lady, don't put up a fight" to your date, maybe you need to take a step back and realize it's not your night, mate.

"Save Us" has some silly lyrics, sure, but they don't get in the way of my enjoyment of the song. But I don't want to say any more, lest anyone think they're getting a glimpse into my fantasies! ;)

Frank, Paul H and Glenn Christense like this.
  7. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Re: Hosanna: I'm with Sean on this one. I've always found those lyrics unsettling and I'm surprised few others do.

Re: Hope: on first listen I have to say that if it weren't a McCartney song I'd have turned off before the end. More to the point, if it weren't a McCartney song I wouldn't give it a second listen. But, of course, it is a McCartney song, so I will give it a second listen :).

Sean Murdock likes this.
  8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Really ? We should just say every McCartney song is great and move on ? How does comparing this song to past songs "belittle the purpose for which this song is intended" ?
    This and every other thread would be pretty short if we aren't allowed to discuss things and yes, in this case put it into context with other songs of Paul's. And, I think it's a little presumptuous on your part to state that we are "brainwashed" because we may see things differently than you do. I think we can do without a lecture of what a songs purpose is also.

anthontherun, Sean Murdock and Paul H like this.
  9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I uses 'some posters' because there were only some posters that posted their interprations. Yeah I know what I meant and for some reason bothered to explain it to you and Id rather discuss that and also guess I know more about what I intend with my postings than you.
    I would also give you an example of what I would call an offensive posting. A while back me and you - or Knarf- had an discussion regarding if some Macca lyriks could be seen as sexual methapores. I did just that you didn t. Instead of having a creative discussion about why we made those interorations- you as usual- claimed to have the right answer- told me I interpreted everything in a sexual way and sent me pictures of Freud. Thats offensive and undermining other posters intergeity if anything.Guess those postings still are up there
    So my friend- once again you have shown that you are totally out in the blue and an enthuiastic user of strawman arguments.

10. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

In my opinion it is not a great McCartney song. I do listen to McCartney for "pleasure and enjoyment" but this brings none of that to me. I don't dispute your points about listening for the "quality of newness, originality, pleasure and listening enjoyment within Paul's great gift" and that "a song is meant to be enjoyed and should move you in some way", in fact I agree. This song doesn't do any of that for me and I've no doubt others on here feel the same.

I think the so called "dissecting" is merely people pointing out what they like and don't like about this song or any song for that matter. If people post a like or dislike about something on here quite often they're asked to elaborate on why that is the case. I don't see that as a bad thing. As with anything on here though, things can get way out of hand and sometimes get into detail and/or analysis that some find annoying. The way of the internet I'm afraid.

And I'm not having a go at you, by the way. Just providing an alternate opinion. I'm glad you and others like this latest McCartney offering. It's just not for me.

11. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Regarding Hosannahs lyrics I totally agree that they can be seen as a bit unsettling. Thats why I find them more interesting than many other Macca lyrics that paints a picture of love as the solution to most everything and without conflicts and confrontations. Stuff that s part of every relation. Hosannah is more complocated and I guess- in that regards more true. But thats me

Sean Murdock likes this.
  12. Sandra

Sandra Guest

Just to chime in regarding Hosanna, I don't think there's anything really unsettling IMO. In the first verse the singer declares his love 'I fell for you' and says he will take her (the woman) to his heart again. The again implies they are already lovers, joined hearts. This is an ongoing relationship not a date, so in that context already established, it isn't unsettling to me. It's just a plea to the lover perhaps after a fight to believe, to calm down, to not be upset but to let the singer prove and show his love.

Hosanna means to express adoration and joy. This is a man who adores a woman that he's in a relationship with begging her to not derail them, to let what they have bring them joy. Even if she is angry with him at that moment.

Well that's my take, I have no issue with the lyrics.

13. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

My interpration of these fine song goes more on the line of yours. The thing that might be unsettling is that he uses the Word fight. I never really thougt about that as meanimg violence-I thought of the word more the way you did- or a fight within the lovers to give in to love or not. The same theme as Scared. Another thing that might be unsettling is the somgtitle. Is it a religious song or not. It could be interpreted as such, But it can also be seen as the act of true love really is the religion. We will never know and as I said before - one interpration is not more true than the other . But the discussion here for me is a proof that Hosannah is a much more complex and multilayered song than the usual Paul love song

14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Hmm...nothing to be afraid of. Guess we all have fantasies about aging hippies with ponytails trying to get into young girls pants of and then. Nothing to worry about.
    Sometines I also have fantasies about schoolboys walkin round banging people in the head with small
    silverhammes. But my strangest fantasy is - finding myself on a stage singing harmony with frogs while the whole world is watching

15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The lyrics are actually my favorite part of "Hope For The Future of Destiny Video Game Song". I have no clue what the video game is about (the last video game I played involved dodging barrels thrown by a giant gorilla), but the lyrics seem to take a theme we've heard before (from "We Can Work It Out" through "Pipes of Peace" to "C'Mon People") and place it in a bit of a science fiction setting. The old "Star Trek" move of taking a real world social issue and placing it in an "alien" context. Or maybe the video game is just about shooting as many people as you can before you die, and I'm better off not knowing. :)

She is anyway and theMess like this.
  16. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

And on a much more trivial note ...

Does anyone else hear one of the echoed guitar lines in "Goodnight Tonight" in the Kindle Fire "power off" tone? (He says as they take him away.)

theMess likes this.
  17. Frank

Frank Senior Member

"Some people" don't have to be "brainwashed" into the ability to look at things objectively.

OTOH, what "some people" really do need to go back to basics and learn is how to express and defend their own opinions without attacking the opinions of others.

Believe it or not, peoples' tastes differ, and that's not indicative of anyone's inability to properly listen to or appreciate music.

Paul H and Glenn Christense like this.
  18. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Well, I wasn't fantasizing about anything, just reacting to the lyrics from my own perspective, like everyone else here. And again, if you happen to be over 60 and sporting a ponytail, I meant no offense. :angel:
    Hey, be careful -- someone could deliberately misinterpret your words! This is the internet, ya know.... :D

supermd and Frank like this.
  19. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Watch it Ray. You are ignoring Cord's explicit instructions regarding listening to Paul McCartney's music :

If this belittling keeps up I'm going to have to report you to.. um, er.. a Gort or something.:p

theMess likes this.
  20. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

The video for this new song was just posted yesterday! Yes, I realize people's taste differ but I'm surprised so many people have already taken a stance of "I don't like it for reason x y z". I'm surprised that people who are McCartney fans wouldn't take a little while to "live with" the song before making their declaration of dislike. Like I said earlier, I think the song is a grower.

I remember many doing the same thing with Dance Tonight when the Memory Almost Full album came out, saying the song was too simplistic. I thought it was too at first but I kept listening to it. Yeah, it starts off simple with a uke and a vocal (I hear the simplicity people talk about), but it builds as it goes adding electric guitars, bass and more drums. It's a really good foot-tapper that actually stomps some but those who dismiss it for it's simplicity have all but missed that.

21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Well I m almost sixty but no ponytails or young chicks. Of course you reacting to the lyrics from your own persoective. Thats what we all do and that is what I with limited sucess tried to explain in a prevoius posting as an answer to one of our fellow posters

22. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Wow- I could almost have said that myself. With the small differing that we never look at things objectively

23. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I think you're referring to this:
    ===
    Psychologists have understood that people prefer things they’ve experienced before at least since Robert Zajonc first demonstrated the ‘mere exposure effect’ in the 1960s. It doesn’t matter whether those things are triangles or pictures or melodies; people report liking them more the second or third time around, even when they aren’t aware of any previous exposure. People seem to misattribute their increased perceptual fluency – their improved ability to process the triangle or the picture or the melody – not to the prior experience, but to some quality of the object itself. Instead of thinking: ‘I’ve seen that triangle before, that’s why I know it,’ they seem to think: ‘Gee, I like that triangle. It makes me feel clever.’ This effect extends to musical listening.
    ===
    Being a "grower" doesn't indicate a quality in the music, it just indicates your brain likes being familiar with it.

More.

She is anyway likes this.
  24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

The reason that I don't think that it sounds in any way unsettling is because it is a song written by Paul McCartney, and I am 100% sure that if he thought that others would think that the lyrics referred to rape he would have changed them.
    Seeing as he did not intend for them to have that meaning, I can't see anything wrong with the lyrics. I just see the song as a beautiful love song, and the line with 'fight' in it is quite simply Paul saying that he doesn't want his lover to fight his love for her.

25. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I, for one, haven't missed anything of the sort. Dance Tonight does start off simple with a uke and a vocal and it does build adding guitars and drums. Seven years later though, I still don't like it. Some songs are liked by people and some aren't. Some people choose to "live with" a song. Some choose not to. It doesn't make them more or less of a fan.

Frank likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.