McCartney's Ram outtakes appreciation/request thread...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tug_of_war, Dec 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Honestly, I don’t foresee them circling on back to Ram any time in the near future or maybe at all. There are already whispers about the next archive release(s) coming in 2021. Just waiting for a more solid confirmation. But, that whisper sadly, does not include Ram or a career spanning rarity set.

2. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

:agree: I’m willing to wait for more Ram if we receive London Town and Egg then Press to Play etc.

Still, I can’t deny that I’m longing for another Ram promotional campaign like the 2012 blast I read about around London. I haven’t laughed so hard in years. Silly and hilarious.

3. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Yup, while Paul was ahead of the curve in releasing deluxe sets of his albums, the early releases were quite stingy with bonus material and had little or no studio outtakes. They were more focused on remastering the original albums and associated past projects such as One Hand Clapping, Thrillington, the McCartney II double album, etc.

As great as that was, the chance to issue to session outtakes and demos was unfortunately lost. To make it worse, his best albums were done first in the series and suffered the most. Recent Archive releases have been much better in this regard.

So it’s going to be tricky for MPL to return to these albums (Ram, Band On The Run) anytime soon and as suggested by @maccawings, it’s likely not in their plans. But with peer artists now releasing copyright extension sets or anniversary albums (doing the same), will MPL just not do anything?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  4. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I'm guessing career spanning rarities set is timed to arrive on his 80th birthday.

Hep Alien, 905, Lewisboogie and 2 others like this.
  5. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

I remember feeling that way then....but just enjoyed their solo, mediocrity and all.

6. joy stinson

LOL....you never miss a chance to ram home your pointed dislike of ram .....LOL.

Bingo Bongo, 905, Lewisboogie and 2 others like this.
  7. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

No.

:)

Trader Joe and a customer like this.
  8. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

They do have another good chance with the possibility of anniversary editions. I hope they take it.

tug_of_war likes this.
  9. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I tend to agree. As a fan, Ram is my favorite Macca solo LP (although I think BOTR is his best). But I have the feeling that Sir Paul is done with it. A shame because there was so much solid material from this era that Ram could probably have been a fine double album.

I would be interested in a complete list of Ram era recordings released and otherwise. I bet if we rob from Wild Life and RRS and adds in a few of the better bootlegs, this could have rivaled ATMP.

Hep Alien, joy stinson and tug_of_war like this.
  10. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

RAM is my favorite McCartney record..agree, take my money

11. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos Thread Starter

For sure. Even if only Ram sessions material was used, it could have yielded a killer double album!

Hep Alien and Veech like this.
  12. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Yeah, about 18 months of great singles and albums and concerts... and then the 70s really started...ah well, it was nice while it lasted.

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sonics ?
    Can’t beat the DCC Gold Cd.

Not many here have it I’d imagine.

RAM on!!!!

tug_of_war likes this.
  14. Eric Weinraub

The McCartney team seldom misses an opportunity to make more dosh. I fully expect another pass, or two, at RAM.

Bingo Bongo and tug_of_war like this.
  15. alexpop

I’m fine with the MONO version myself.
    Stereo ?
    Mr. Steve Hoffman.

16. Eric Weinraub

I love the mono (white cover) limited reissue from a years ago.

17. alexpop

I’ve got the version in the big RaM cd box.

skisdlimit and Lewisboogie like this.
  18. joy stinson

Really wish I had the ram mono on vinyl....unknown to me as a young teen then as the best copy. I did well to get ram on stereo vinyl then.

tug_of_war likes this.
  19. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I like the stereo mix of Ram and the 2012 unlimited Hi-res remaster is how I listen to it. I don’t think the album needs a new stereo remix but it seems like a great candidate for an immersive surround mix! There’s a lot happening on many tracks and would lend itself well to a 5.1 or Atmos mix.

For bonus discs, this time I would like them to present the 1970 session tracks before any of the post production done in LA. In addition, I am sure certain production ideas were tried and then dropped - would be interesting to see how Paul built up this album in 1971. Given the amount of material recorded, it’s should’ve be too hard to fill 2-3 discs.....possibly some of early song demos from Scotland may also exist.

Hep Alien and tug_of_war like this.
  20. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Did this a few years ago before I was on this forum...
    [​IMG]
    RAM- a new 2-LP set brung to ewe by:
    Paul Ramon and Linda Long Haired Lady

Side 1: Ram Side
    1. TOO MANY PEOPLE
    2. RAM ON
    3. DEAR BOY
    4. GET ON THE RIGHT THING
    5. UNCLE ALBERT/ADMIRAL HALSEY
    6. DEAR FRIEND

Side 2: Bright Side
    7. ANOTHER DAY
    8. SMILE AWAY
    9. MONKBERRY MOON DELIGHT
    10. SUNSHINE SOMETIME
    11. LONG HAIRED LADY
    12. RAM ON (REPRISE)
    13. GREAT DAY

Side 3: Country Side
    1. BIG BARN BED
    2. I LIE AROUND
    3. COUNTRY DREAMER
    4. 3 LEGS
    5. HEY DIDDLE
    6. EAT AT HOME
    7. HEART OF THE COUNTRY

Side 4: Lamb Side
    8. A LOVE FOR YOU
    9. LITTLE LAMB DRAGONFLY
    10. LITTLE WOMAN LOVE
    11. OH WOMAN OH WHY
    12. RODE ALL NIGHT (edit-4:00)
    13. THE BACK SEAT OF MY CAR

Each side is approximately 24 minutes.

Side 1: RAM SIDE
    I wanted to keep the `Ram' album somewhat intact, because too much jumbling of the running order may cause confusion. I took out `3 Legs' because I still think it's the weakest song on `Ram', and dropped it to side 3. Then I added `Get on the Right Thing' after `Dear Boy' because it continues the message of finding love for 3 songs straight. `Dear Friend' resolves the 'Dear Boy' issue; and works better closing side 1 on a 2-LP to me (or any side really, but always a closer).

Side 2: BRIGHT SIDE
    I use `Another Day' as a leadoff, on `another side' (side 2) and close with `Great Day' because the songs are more positive on this side leading into this closing track. Paul's advice to the woman in `Another Day'-`Smile Away' and drink `Monkberry' Yes, `Great Day' sounds like the end of `Ram On' (reprise), so that was a perfect link. Also, the `love is long' refrain with its opposite lyric on `Great Day'-`won't be long'. Nice how `Long Haired Lady' is a long length, while `Great Day' is a short length to match the lyrics of both. Needed `Sometime Sunshine' to buffer `Monkberry' and `Lady'-fits `day' theme also.
    NOTE: One could replace 'Great Day' with 'Tomorrow' as an alternative.

Side 3: COUNTRY SIDE
    Using the `Ram On' (reprise) hint as a cue, we start with `Big Barn Bed' since it's well known as a leadoff song from `Red Rose Speedway'. Then we lay around on the bed and all around-`I Lie Around' dreaming about the barn, etc.-`Country Dreamer'. `Sunshine Sometime' was originally on this side, but `3 Legs' has the `insect fly' lyrics-works within the rural theme (`when I fly above the clouds' line, etc.) Some domestic songs, followed by a permanent longing for the `Heart of the Country'-and he does settle there `living in a home in the heart of the country.' He wants a horse and sheep leading to the `Lamb Side'.

Side 4: LAMB SIDE
    `A Love For You' is great as a leadoff, the `Little' songs are together, `Little Woman Love' sounding extra punchy after a softer track (`Little Lamb Dragonfly'). After 6 ½ minutes of soft, you have to rock, so with `Little Woman', `Oh Woman' (two women songs together one pos./one neg.) & `Rode All Night' as a 4 minute edit (all I could squeeze in). `The Back Seat of My Car' is occupied because the couple `rode all night'. I like using the original closer as the closer.

Mr. Ramon and Mrs. Long Haired Lady ask you to now hear this song of mine-I hope you do.

I couldn't help doing this; there were so many songs recording during the sessions, some great music to use. Really wished we had all those 1970 demos and recording outtakes.

21. johnnyb1964

johnnyb1964 Treats please!

I really like that photo of them. Miss Linda.

22. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos Thread Starter

I don't see any connection between "Dear Boy" and "Dear Friend" other than the word "dear" :D but I like the concept of the sides. Must be an interesting listen.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  23. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

You're a serious McCartney fan who knows the background of both songs but both remain anoymous characters when isolated the actual art from the biographical. Lennon thought both were directed to him (we know not true). Both address a real person in Mac's life, both are sung in second person, both acknowledge there is a problem in the relationship with one resolving the other. Both were written around the same time. So a few connections. Actually "Dear Friend" isn't quite resolving an issue.

Always wondered if "Dear Friend" had those lyrics in 1970 or were they changed after Paul spoke with his father about being peaceful in the media with John. That legendary divorce is such a bore to quote Kurdt but if hearing "Dear Friend" with different lyrics that matched others he did on 'Ram', it advances that tired tale, and would be quite telling.

Hep Alien and tug_of_war like this.
  24. joy stinson

Yes, I do too. Saw her three times with macca in concert. My middle schooler friends and I were so ugly about when they married...cuz we all wanted to marry him..LOL. Linda was a cool earth mama.

25. joy stinson

Good post.

WilliamWes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.