"*McGear" album: an expanded version with outtakes planned?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Calico, May 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calico

Calico Senior Member Thread Starter

Mike McCartney has recently posted this intriguing tweet!

This just sent from r Gary who is ‘quite enjoying my old *McGear vinyl album. I’m now back from America so can concentrate on finding 40 year old tapes of different versions, outtakes, & material to make the Best Ever *McGear that Gaza..& YOU have ever heard..or seen!!

Mike McCartney on Twitter

Outtakes? Alternate versions? Songs with guide vocals from brother Paul?
    Along with an expanded "Wild Life" and "Red Rose Speedway", an expanded version of this fabulous album would be a dream come true!!!

BeSteVenn, rstamberg, Ludger and 32 others like this.
  2. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

It's a really enjoyable album. I wonder what outtakes there are? It would be cool if a song or song fragment ended up getting repurposed later on by Wings or solo Paul.

theMess likes this.
  3. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Heck yeah! I'm down for this one. Maybe he'll rerelease Woman at some point too.

Goldy and longdist01 like this.
  4. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Woman was rereleased only last year. It's a big improvement over previous versions that omitted the interludes between songs, but in a bizarre move, the back cover called attention to the songs he would not allow to be bonus tracks.

[​IMG]

5. Calico

It was re-released very recently, this time in complete form (some links and bits were missing from the earlier CD release).
    But still without the b-side only "Kill".
    Michael McGear* - Woman

theMess likes this.
  6. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

I'd like the demos with Paul's guide vocals to be included, if they still exist.

7. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Whoops! Guess I totally missed the boat on that one. Thanks for the head's up, I'm actually going to order it now.

Thanks all :righton:

longdist01 likes this.
  8. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Mike is planning to incorporate this release into his brother's Archive Collection series. I am so looking forward to 2025! ;):p

9. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I picked up the Rykodisc cd a few years ago and now it's a little on the pricey side. I enjoy it. It's a nice companion piece to RRS.

rstamberg, Hep Alien and pdenny like this.
  10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

SOLD!

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. jricc

jricc Senior Member

All over this

rstamberg and Hep Alien like this.
  12. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

13. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

Wrote to cherry records many moons ago requesting this, maybe ?

14. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I hope this does happen - PLEASE!!!

vince and longdist01 like this.
  15. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Why did he not allow those two songs to be added?

Jonpd likes this.
  16. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

From the liner notes: "The song Kill evolved from my frustration about those times; about JFK's assassination, about the Vietnam war, and the insanity in the world. The sad thing is that when I listened to it recently, it has even more relevance now. I could have written the lyrics yesterday, which is a sad reflection on these troubled and insane times we live in today. Unfortunately, the lyrics are so reflective of our times I don't feel that I can include the track on this CD release as they might be misinterpreted by some people. I don't want my words to be used as an excuse by anyone to commit acts of violence...the words are a plea for the killing to STOP."

17. Probably because nowadays people are much more sensitive to the song's theme (terrorism) and, really, it's not a very good joke, even for 1972.
    As a completist, I would like to have a good digital version.

18. Yes, I'm slow.

19. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I have this on cd, but would buy it again if demos with Paul's guide vocals are included.

theMess and longdist01 like this.
  20. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I'd much rather have an archive edition of this album over everything else left of McCartney's save for Back to the Egg. It will be great news if indeed all that extra material is included on a release.

Hep Alien and cwitt1980 like this.
  21. It's pleasant enough album, but not sure I'd spend money on anything additional.

22. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I have long felt MCGEAR is a superior album to WILD LIFE and RED ROSE SPEEDWAY. I would love to see a re-issue with bonus tracks!

Hep Alien, mrjinks, klockwerk and 3 others like this.
  23. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

McGear! I absolutely like this album a lot (I wouldn't say love, yet). It has some many good tracks, and the possibility of hearing Paul guide vocals is great! I'm looking forward to hearing 32-year old Paul singing on tracks that never have been booted before. I can already imagine seeing guide vocal releases for "What Do We Really Know?" and "Givin' Grease A Ride", since it sounds like Paul's guide vocal was kept and used at the end of those songs.

Hep Alien, theMess, planckera and 2 others like this.
  24. Calico

"Rainbow Lady"/"Simply Love You" would have made a wonderful Wings single in 1974-75!

rstamberg, Hep Alien, theMess and 2 others like this.
  25. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

I've enjoyed "McGear" since a friend pointed it out to me in the late '70s; I have US and UK LPs, the autographed promo sampler, and both CD versions. Of course, I'll get this one (and the new "Woman", too). Playing it now.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.