McIntosh C28 for phono stage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by scottabs, Jul 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottabs

scottabs Senior Member Thread Starter

I just purchased a Music Hall MMF-5 TT, and for now I am using an old McIntosh C28 Preamp as the phono stage. Would I be a lot better off using one of the phono stages in the $200 to $300 dollar range, like a Creek or Channel Islands?

2. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

I think so.
    IMO my Fisher 400 tube receiver KILLS the McIntosh C26 as a pre amp.
    When I hook up my C26 (about the same inside as C28)it sounds a bit harsh compared to tube units like Fisher or Dynaco PAS 2. The C20 seems to do a nice job also yet so far I just love the Fisher. (ps: C26 and MX113 for sale best offer see classifieds post)

3. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Comparing a C26 to a C28 isn't really fair, though. The C28 is a considerably better preamp. The MSRP of the C28 was 50% more than that of the C26, same time, same dollars.

The C24 is the closer relative of the C26. The C28 used some updated circuitry and components which resulted in a quieter component. The C28 has the old, warm and fuzzy McIntosh sound compared to the slightly harder sound of the C26 (and C24).

Having said that, I haven't heard any of the current budget phono stages. Some in the $200-$300 range probably would be better than the phono section of a stock, up-to-spec C28. A capacitor upgrade for the C28 (particularly in the phono section) might nudge it ahead, though. Wouldn't cost much, either. That would alter the voicing, but might make for some decent results. It's not like you'd be mucking around with the voicing of a C22 or anything. ;)

Your call. I think you could get some decent kicks either way. If you stick with the C28, make sure all the passive components measure to spec. The C28 was a nice preamp for its time. Certainly better than 99% of its solid-state competition.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I used a C28 for phono years ago and I thought it sounded great. I don't know how much better the Creek would be for the extra $300.

5. scottabs

Thanks for the replies so far.

Where would I go about getting the capacitor upgrade? I did a couple of searches but didn't turn up anything. I was thinking I might find a "C28 Capacitor Upgrade Kit", similar to when I used to replace the cap's in my old jukebox amps.

6. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Unless you're pretty handy with testing capacitors and resistors and can easily understand a schematic, I'd find a good audio equipment technician.

You won't find capacitor upgrade kits per se...not for a C28, anyway. You basically pick your poison with respect to capacitors and do your own upgrading to suit your taste and/or budget. Different capacitors have different sonic signatures, much like tubes. Additionally, like tubes, the overall sound will also depend on the circuit into which the capacitor is placed.

I would never suggest this if you had a C22 or MX110 or something, but modding a C28 just a bit isn't too insidious, IMO. It never was and never will be legendary or particularly valuable. Frankly, the time has come for most passive components in classic gear to be replaced, which, due to what's now available, pretty much constitutes an upgrade. Either you do this for the piece to remain functional or you sit it on a shelf and look at it. A lot of what was originally used simply can't be had anymore. You have to go with the next closest thing if you wish to preserve as much of the original voicing as possible, which is pretty much the cheaper stuff of today (not such a bad thing). If you swap high quality capacitors into your phono section, you'll surely get a nice jump in performance. It will, however, change the original sound. What you'll get is something cleaner and less colored.

If that sounds like something you'd like, find yourself somebody who has experience with repairing audio gear and tell them you want to upgrade your phono section capacitors as well as make sure all other passive components elsewhere in the preamp meet or exceed original specifications. Discuss quality vs cost options with this person and settle on the combo that best suits your needs. You oughta be able to do this for a coupla hundred dollars or maybe a tad more, depending on how much is needed beyond the phono section.

Really, if your C28 hasn't been checked out for a long time (if ever), you're gonna need this, anyway. Even if you bought a new outboard phono stage, there wouldn't be much point in plugging it into a preamp that was limping along. If this is the case, you might be pleasantly surprised with just the results of a basic tune-up on your C28. Though solid-state certainly means less maintenance than tubes, it still needs servicing every now and again for best performance.

Have fun erasing the sonic intent of McIntosh...just kidding, just kidding. ;)

7. scottabs

Thanks Arin, that was exactly the kind of response I was looking for. I can be a bit dangerous with a soldering iron, so I will look for someone to help with the work. The C28 was owned by my late father-in-law, so it was a freebie for me. Putting a little money in getting it up to spec seems like a good idea.

Since my wife paid for part of the MMF-5, I asked her to do a little A/B testing with me. I put on the MFSL LP of ARS's Champagne Jam vs the CD. She said the LP sounded more like a "live concert where you can hear the different instruments, but the other (CD) sounds more 'manufactured'", which meant to me she could hear the compressed sounds of the CD. I knew then that my new purchase of the MMF-5 was a good one.

8. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Pretty nice freebie, IMO. Like I said, probably a coupla hundred bucks or so. You're gonna need that C28 either way for the time being, so you might as well get it up to spec, eh?

I hate to sound like a commercial, but there's a fella named Terry DeWick in Knoxville who specializes in McIntosh repair. He posts on the McIntosh forum over at Audiokarma and seems like a swell guy. Lots of praise for his work and reasonable prices.

Go to the bottom of the page in this link and click on "DeWick Repairs".

www.mcintoshaudio.com

Have fun spinning the vinyl. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.