Meat Loaf dies aged 74 (R.I.P)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by madsurfer, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Bat Out of Hell is a great album! I enjoyed some his acting too! RIP

2. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Ugh, supplementing not “ supplanting”.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  4. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Bat Out Of Hell album sold 43 million copies. :righton:

5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I don't know, the songs were meh but Stoney was cute

[​IMG]

Jimmy B. and seed_drill like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Do you remember that made-for-tv movie about him? Hysterical, unintentionally, of course

7. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident

His 1971 Motown album was criminally ignored.

VH3FAN, elgoodo, skisdlimit and 2 others like this.
  8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Liked her a whole lot in Little Feat.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  9. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

Bat Out Of Hell was everywhere as I finished up Grade 8 here in Canada. Always seemed a larger than life character in his interviews, which I always enjoyed. Outside of "Bat", I wasn't a huge fan but the man definitely had some (singing) chops! RIP, Big Man.

10. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

The first time I ever heard of Meat Loaf was when my cousin took me and my sister to a showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show sometime around 1976. Even in a movie as bonkers as RHPS Meat stood out when he sang his number. Fast forward about a year or more later, and Bat Out Of Hell was getting a lot of airplay. I didn't put together the connection between that record and the guy who played Eddie until I went and saw RHPS again at a midnight showing. Prior to the movie, the theater played the video to "Paradise By The Dashboard Light", and as I watched it it slowly dawned on me that Meat Loaf and Eddie were one and the same. Rest well, Meat.

Hep Alien and Norbert Becker like this.
  11. Speedycat69

Speedycat69 Springsteen nut

Another legend and decent man gone and part of my childhood. Rem a girl when we were really young walked about with a tape player blasting his songs all the time . Dead ringer what a song , rip meat .

Jack Lord, HorseyAnn and Amnion like this.
  12. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

RIP...not a huge fan,no denying his debut record it was the right place at the right time.Good for him that he got a 2nd wind in the early 90's.He had a tough childhood growing up especially dealing with his father.In that Dan Rather interview a few years ago it looked as if he had suffered a mild stroke or something...hoping he has peace and hanging out with Jim now.

sunspot42, Matthew Tate and Amnion like this.
  13. jdthebrit1

jdthebrit1 Forum Resident

Pompous? Really? Larger than life I would have said; akin to the Lizard King in many ways. Huge in the UK, and that's referring to Meat Loaf's popularity. Don't give a flying one about his politics, just as John Wayne's Republicanism never bothered "folks".
    Great musical theatre. An original, unlike the ridiculous rubbish of today, Adele, Ed Sheeran et al.

14. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

As a teenager in 1978 every house party had the soundtrack of Bat Out Of Hell & Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds- whenever I hear anything from these two albums it instantly transports me back to that brief period between late Summer 78 and Christmas of that year. Meatloaf of course had a big hand in resurrecting Cher's singing career when she dusted on Dead Ringer For Love. Her career was co cold she didn't even receive a credit on the singles credits!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

RIP.

Playing the BOOH album right now. Listen about once a year and always love it. A truly unique, truly great record. Rundgren and Steinman created something beautiful, and Meat was the perfect singer for it. Not really a solo effort imo, more like a great team.

16. DavyHazy

DavyHazy Well-Known Member

...I Love Maxs' snare shot right after the spoken intro to "You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night)". A perfect start to that song and what is about to take place on that Beach! He also does a great Phil Spector/Ronettes fill at the first break and then continues throughout right up to the Handclaps. Roy also adds some real nice 'E Street' style piano..... It's a PERFECT Rock 'n' Roll Album. One that needs to be in Everyone's collection! RIP Meat and RIP Jim.

RobMac, Hep Alien, Charlie Z. and 4 others like this.
  17. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Better Than "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad", I suppose... :shrug:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Meat Loaf was always a staple of Friday night music, especially Paradise. Loved him in RHPS, Flight Club and The Tenacious D movie to name a few. He will be missed. I remember nearly 20 years ago he collapsed on stage in Edmonton and there were worries that he might not be around much longer. RIP Meat!

Oh and if anyone else like me, realized they don't have Bat Out of Hell II on vinyl and wanted to get it, it seems hard to find (unless you don't mind a pic disc) but I did manage to find two places that had it, I ordered the one and it was gone but here is one more. Shipping isn't cheap unless you are in the UK though.
    Meat Loaf 'Bat Out Of Hell II: Back Into Hell' 2xLP

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  19. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Rest In Peace, Meat Loaf.

siebrand and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  20. eclecticfiend

eclecticfiend wavy air aficionado

Hopefully this will get people to reconsider his and Steinman’s excellent final collaboration, Braver Than We Are.
    A true performer, entertainer, thespian, and artist. No one had a voice like him.

Hep Alien, siebrand and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Awe, thanks for ruining the joke. That could have gone on a lot longer. :p:laugh:

George P likes this.
  22. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

And yet again I have to wish peace and comfort to another great vocalist's family and loved ones. Heaven keeps filling up the choir of late. Wish it would take a break. Too many this last month.

HorseyAnn and Amnion like this.
  23. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Moderator Note:

Please keep discussion of covid and talk of anti vax/mask etc out of this thread.

This is an R.I.P thread so please show some respect and remember the artist that was Meatloaf for his music and his talent!

siebrand, hodgo, Peter_R and 6 others like this.
  24. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

I LOVE the "Bat out of Hell" album. The bit at the end of the epic title song where Meat goes all knackered and tired, the music comes down, and his heart flies out of his body still beating... "and flying away - ay like a Bat Out Of Hell" And that big riff kicks in! What a great Rock and Roll song! You'll live on forever through your music, Mr Loaf. RIP.

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I really like this Stoney and Meat Loaf song: