Meat Loaf dies aged 74 (R.I.P)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by madsurfer, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Such sad news.

Of course he will most probably be remembered mainly for the album “Bat Out Of Hell” it’s outstanding and stands the test of time, everyone should give this album a listen or even own it it! Great lyrics well written and sang.

2. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

RIP, what an amazing life with high highs and low lows. That album came out of nowhere and ruled senior year and early college and has got to be one of the most listened to albums of its time. It had a certain over the top quality and Spectoresque sound that was unique and the Steinman storytelling was relatable. And of course Meat Loaf's bombastic voice and charisma were amazing.

Plus, having Todd Rundgren and Edgar Winter and part of the E Street Band did not hurt! Todd’s involvement and productions did not always work with others but here he was stellar.

3. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

RIP Mr. Loaf.

4. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Playing Midnight at the Lost and Found now, such a great album.

5. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Declan Quaile and HorseyAnn like this.
  6. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

This is from Analog Spark's Bat Out of Hell SACD (sold out) description: "...Analog Spark's limited edition hybrid SACD, remastered from the original stereo tapes by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound."

jusbe, WhatDoIKnow and George P like this.
  7. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Literally playing BOH as I type. Heaven Can Wait has just started...something is in my eye..:cry:

Thank you Mr Aday for so much joy. You made me realise at a very young age you could be overly theatrical & still be totally rock & roll. RIP...

8. Jonpd

Jonpd Forum Resident

RIP Meatloaf

First became particulararly aware of him after seeing the stunning performance of Paradise By The Dashboard Light on the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1978.

Jack Lord likes this.
  9. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Sadly, I disagree with you. TMZ actually has a pretty good track record of breaking stories that are correct. The guy who runs it is a lawyer and knows the dangers of running false stories. They're far from perfect, but more credible than a lot of sources these days for celebrity related news.
    It's gotten to the point that I don't listen to rumors... Until TMZ reports it.

painted8, seed_drill, intv7 and 15 others like this.
  10. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Soundtrack to my teens.bless him and may be rock in peace xxx

Amnion likes this.
  11. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

Listened through Bat Out Of Hell tonight R.I.P.

Amnion likes this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

13. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

It’s really unbelievable how low his career fell post BOOH. Each subsequent album selling less and less. Weren’t some of the 80’s releases available only in England? No radio station in America would play his new music.

He was reduced to playing supper clubs in some of the smallest, most rural American towns into the early 90’s before BOOH 2 brought him back to being a star. I would not consider myself a fan but do respect how he and Jim Steinman were able to resuscitate a career that was on life support.

14. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

TMZ is actually a very reliable source

painted8, intv7, Brother_Rael and 7 others like this.
  15. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Really don't like the music, but sad news all the same.

16. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

My favorite song of his.

Hot Summer Night

RIP. Meat Loaf

17. So incredibly sad. Bat out of Hell is the epitome of a masterpiece and will live on forever. Will be playing the SACD tonight in tribute.

Rest In Peace, Marvin Lee Aday
    “Meat Loaf”

[​IMG]

18. And IMHO the SACD sounds terrific.

19. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

while he's not my favorite artist, "Bat" is such a towering accomplishment with the production, writing and of course performance. I just love the incredible backstory of how difficult it was to birth the album, all those that passed on it etc. simply amazing.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  20. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

21. Station17

Station17 Time to play B-sides...

RIP Meatloaf! Your personality reminded me so much of my childhood best friend Jimbo.

In our elementary school classrooms we were allowed to spin our records during lunch... monitors outside in the halls, but no teachers in the rooms. Queen, Styx, etc. but for one year at least, maybe 4th grade, Bat Out of Hell ruled Mahopac Falls Elementary School. So much fun listening to and singing along to that album! (even if none of us had ever reached any base yet!)

Matthew Tate and ConnieGuitar like this.
  22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

23. Drumaniac - R

Drumaniac - R Forum Resident

Saw him live in 1978 on the tour with ELO where ELO had the space ship.
    Had the pleasure again a few decades later at Massey Hall (small venue) for VH1 Storytellers.
    I remember playing the Bat album many times and singing along at the top of my lungs.

Thanks for the memories Meat!

Matthew Tate and ConnieGuitar like this.
  24. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I was a little 'rocker' back in the mid 80s and Bat Out of Hell and Dead Ringer were already classics. I saw him at Wembley in London in 1987 (it was released abridged later) and he was fantastic, still a force of nature. I also saw him get bottled off stage at Reading Festival later the next year. Life's funny like that.

He was, like a lot of posters here, a soundtrack to my teenage years and most wobbly walks home from the pub (in the UK we start drinking young - 14 in my case) we'd be singing Bat Out of Hell at the top of our lungs, including the guitar solos. So many good times.

R.I.P, big man, and thanks for the memories.

HorseyAnn likes this.
  25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

RIP Mr. Loaf.

Thanks for the music.

Matthew Tate and HorseyAnn like this.