Metallica re-team with San Fran symphony for 20th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Mar 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Stormrider77 and MikeVielhaber like this.
  2. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

My brother got up close tickets to this (through Metallica fanclub) and is having me tag along. I will be sure to give a review in September.

3. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

jfeldt likes this.
  4. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

I hope they pick a special setlist for this one, S&M was almost completely a standard Metallica gig setlist + symphony

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

This is something that shouldn't have happened the 1st time.

6. Well...fair enough. Haha.

I think the first time was an artistic statement, yet one that ultimately was a mixed bag. The gem "No Leaf Clover" came out of it.

This time, though - a second time around - it seems more like a lazy sell. "Oh, we can make money off of this without turning a screw." Let's face it, Metallica likes to loaf.

I'm so looking forward to an orchestrated "Sweet Amber." :rolleyes:

seaisletim likes this.
  7. Buddy of mine was (half-jokingly, we live all the way on the other side of the USA) looking at tickets today... Looks like LOTS of bots purchased tickets and my buddy said nosebleeds were even up in the thousands. EEK. FWIW I really like the original S&M album and I am looking forward to this one too.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

There have only been pre-sales so far!

9. Just crazy!

10. Blueshirt

Blueshirt Forum Resident

S&M v 2.0 ... bring it on!

I won't be able to get to the US for it, but I do look forward to hearing/seeing the concert on CD/DVD/Blu-Ray or whatever. It should be an awesome gig. It will be interesting to see what newer Metallica songs get the orchestral treatment.

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Expect it to be very "Hardwired" heavy on the setlist......with a lot of Black album thrown in...a few classics.....and zero St Anger.

12. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Bands celebrate album anniversaries all the time and fans generally love it. I don't see anything wrong with this and they're also opening a new venue in their hometown so it has two purposes.

They've never played "Sweet Amber" so I wouldn't expect it here.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. MikeVielhaber

Have they made any mention of recording this concert for release?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. MikeVielhaber

I liked it too. I was 14 when it came out and my Metallica fandom was in its infancy having only first starting getting into them about a year prior so this album was my introduction to a few of the classic songs. I played both the CD and the DVD of it quite a bit back in the day.

Matthew Tate and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  15. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

It's one date. Let's be honest, Metallica are making a killing on touring. Having one show as an anniversary isn't exactly a "making money" scenario. Just seems like fun.
    They actually have played Sweet Amber, but it was only one time, I believe. There's a decent sounding version of it on YouTube.

Matthew Tate and GoodKitty like this.
  16. MikeVielhaber

I stand corrected. I must have missed that, or just forgot because it was one time 15 years ago (I just looked it up). That being said, the point is the same, 0% chance of hearing it in this set or any other set.

17. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

I wish they would play them more. Mix it up a bit. They avoid that era like the plague now.

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. I was 13 when it came out - right in between me discovering all their classics and their big MTV type hits that I missed out on when I was a small child. I remember being like 5-7 years old and one of the “cool kids” (teenager, ha!) down the block had a ride the lighting or metal up your ass shirt and I thought he was so cool, hahaha!

19. MikeVielhaber

I saw them on the St. Anger tour and they played only one song from the album, "Dirty Window".

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Ristifer

Ristifer Forum Resident

Same here. But they played the title track. Was cool to hear the crowd singing along to the verses.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Three actually, as it will be the kick-off concert for Michael Tilson Thomas' final season as music director of the San Francisco Symphony (a position he has held since 1995).

Chase and the Golden State Warriors' owners wanted something big to open the new arena with, and this event ticks all the boxes -- and there seems to be huge demand for tickets!

jfeldt likes this.
  22. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Metallica aren't making Master Of Puppets II so of course there has to be complaints. :laugh:

23. Blueshirt

Blueshirt Forum Resident

Well, all Metallica concerts are recorded and released these days through LiveMetallica/Nugs (etc.) However, I would be very surprised if we didn't get something more celebratory from such a high profile Metallica gig, including a visual souvenir... even if it just becomes bonus material for the S&M Remastered box set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Of course there was a 2nd show added - and I scored tickets just now!

Upper level, but what the hell.

I am in the original S&M DVD! (brief shot of me during encore break as camera does pan across audience, I am wildly jumping up and down!).

25. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

This was announced some time ago to their fan-club members. I presume you must also be one?

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.