Metallica Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

If you heard it you would understand. It's not what you are referencing. to give a reference, if I took AJFA off at a normal people speaking volume, and put the Black Album on, the walls would shake. AJFA cut sounds like radio static by the time you get the volume up. Anything pre-black album from the reissue series from a few years ago is unlistenable. Someone screwed something up.
    Black album thru Reload is fantastic and worth every penny. No idea about any others after as they don't interest me.

2. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

I would have to respectfully disagree. The 4 LP box set of AJFA sounds fantastic, in my opinion. I have original pressings to compare it to, also. I have heard the other 45 RPM reissues from KEA through MoP, and yes, they are not well-done at all. Well, the packaging and the vinyl itself is very well done. Vinyl was dead quiet. The mastering was what was done poorly.

3. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

So I take it I should ignore the $20 Blackened release LP of Master of Puppets at my local store then?

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Yes....seriously try to track down the German RoadRunner as it's supposed to be the best 33rpm pressing.

sathvyre likes this.
  5. Marky316

Marky316 New Member

All Death Magnatic sound like crap thanks to Rick Rubin,the only one to get is the guitar hero rip that's floating out in the web.
    As for the new vinyl pressings don't bother save your money get the 1st pressing if you can.But I would say the Black Album did sound good but nothing will beat the 1st pressing Japan or US CD

6. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I thought the LP Death Magnetic was a little easier on the ears than the CD but there wasn't a whole lot of difference.

7. Dr. Metal MD

Yeah, avoid that. Either get what Vinyl Fan says or get an original Elektra. I have the MFN 60 45 RPM 2 LP set from 1987. It is the best pressing I've yet heard. I very highly recommend it. The Elektra will be cheaper, but if you want something with more depth, I'd go for the 45 RPM MFN set, NOT the 2008 45 RPM set either.

I have the 5 LP DM box set. While it still is overly compressed, it certainly does beat the CD mastering. I got lucky and got one for like $25 that had a dinged corner to the box, but all LPs were in new condition. Couldn't turn it down.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Marky316 like this.
  8. Time to play B-Sides

Time to play B-Sides Forum Resident

I've gotta agree with the Dr. here. The EU 45 box is the best SQ press of AFJA that you're going to find. Yes, the bass is low compared to the albums that came after it, but that's not due to the press - it's due to the master.

Read this: http://loudwire.com/sound-mixer-metallica-and-justice-for-all-blames-lars-ulrich-thin-bass-sound/

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  9. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

I am in debate over which pressings to get now. The RTL megaforce pressing is available now and so is the MFN 45rpm pressing. whats your true feelings towards the RTL 45rpm MFN? also, a buddy of mine has an original MFN MOP33 1/3 wondering how the 45rpm pressing would sound in comparison. any ideas? I am going with your suggestion on Kill Em All and get the MFN45

10. Dr. Metal MD

Definitely a great idea to get the KEA 45 RPM. As far as the Megaforce vs. MFN 45 RPM for RTL, I don't know what to tell you. I've never heard the Megaforce pressing. That's quite the collector's item, though. Very few pressed. I'd try to get my hands on that for that reason alone. For sound quality though, all I know is that I really enjoy 45 RPM pressings. Yes, you have to flip the records over more, but I feel these pressings usually have more depth to them and a wider soundstage with more detail. That's the best advice I can give for the RTL. For the MOP, I've never heard the MFN 33 RPM version. I (think) I heard that it sounds decent. I'd still try to get the 45 RPM MFN version of it though. Best MOP pressing I've yet heard.

coltlacey1 likes this.
  11. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

good to know. thanks!

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  12. Dr. Metal MD

As far as Megaforce pressings go, the same goes for the KEA one. Not as rare as the RTL one, but definitely a collectors item, a true 1st original pressing. If you can get your hands on one, do it for that reason alone. You're welcome!

coltlacey1 likes this.
  13. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Sorry to bring this up again, but did Bellman do the AJFA in 2008? So therefore the Blackened version would be the same? This album has always been very compressed with little bass... I'm sure he couldn't change too much of that...? I just want a copy... I never see the Blackened version at my store... is it out there?

14. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Funny you should ask. The Blackened AJFA I had I sold on Discogs for $30 about 6 months ago. It seems they are getting harder to find. Though, I wouldn't seek it out.

15. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

MOFI did the stuff thru AJFA.

16. Dr. Metal MD

The AJFA for all 4 LP box set is the only 45 RPM set in the first 4 albums that is worth owning, in my opinion. The packing and sound is top notch. The packing for the other 45 RPM releases as as good as it can get, too, but the sound quality made the high price tag for those releases not worth it. Luckily, I was able to sell my KEA, RTL, and MOP sets.

Johnny Wong likes this.
  17. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I snagged an original Elektra of AJFA in the classifieds, and I found it a surprisingly nice listen. There IS plenty of bass... Just not bass guitar. (The kick drum and the rhythm guitars fill most of the low frequencies.) I never liked the mix of the album, but something about it... Works on vinyl.

I didn't hear the 45RPM version so it could very well beat this. (The price tag put me off, along with the idea of flipping a record every song.) I did buy and sell the 33 1/3 version... Crappy mastering and mixed far too low, as others have said. Avoid.

18. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

It seems the MOFI remasters from this series were poorly done. I'll pass. If it were Bellman, I'd most likely seek out the Blackened version, but don't feel the need to seek out 4LP box...$$$

I'm very happy with my Blackened black album purchase. Great sound and flat silent pressing.

They really need to get those earlier albums redone properly...?

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  19. Dr. Metal MD

The OP Elektra does sound fantastic. I think the 45 RPM beats it by a tad because of soundstage only. Otherwise, they are similar in quality. If people don't want to fork out the money for the 45 RPM AJFA set, I'd just go with an Elektra copy. They aren't that hard to find. I luckily got the AJFA set for around $40 a couple years ago.

o0OBillO0o likes this.
  20. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Strongly urge you to avoid the blackened ajfa!!! I am nearly certain CB had nothing to do with that release. The blackened ajfa was one of my first vinyl purchases getting back in and was sorely disappointed. I have a beat up Electra and it is night and day better, pay more and hunt ebay - it's worth it.

o0OBillO0o and Johnny Wong like this.
  21. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

45rpm 2008 master??

22. Dr. Metal MD

Yes, the 2008 4 LP 45 RPM box set sounds astounding. I think it is the best the original mastering is ever going to sound. The Elektra isn't far behind though. The OP is fantastic.

o0OBillO0o likes this.
  23. Dr. Metal MD

Just got done listening through my 4 LP box set from Universal (pretty sure this means it was pressed in EU, the box isn't as large as the Warner reissues either). I usually have an Elektra copy as my go-to, because I want to preserve this box set as much as I can for the rest of my life.

I am amazed again at how good this sounds. If you are looking for the absolute best sounding pressing or release of AJFA, then you must get your hands on the 45 RPM 4 LP box set from 2008 (or 2010? can't remember). The Elektra sounds good, but it doesn't have the depth, soundstage, or detail that the box set does. It's a pain to change the LP's side after every 1-2 songs, but like I said, if you're chasing the BEST sounding AJFA record, then look no further and get a box set while you still can.

24. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

These are the 2 comments for this release on Discogs

richbdd01 January 29, 2016
    Anyone buying these, please be aware the EU pressings are poor imitations of the US versions....
    Helpful
    [​IMG]
    rush4you
    November 13, 2011
    first, when i saw this issue, i was very excited,ahaahhh, finally end of the "hunting" of old records this release..sadly, no, this is a scrap, the sound of the 45 rpm vinyl is worst than any cd has.
    sad story due the packaging and the merchandise machine wors very well.
    of course it has to go immediately, i wont buy any from 45rpm series, really wasting of energy and time.

25. Dr. Metal MD

That's very interesting. I bought mine from a US seller, but I received a Universal copy, which I am pretty sure was the EU pressing. All I can say is that I 100% disagree with the second reviewer. I obviously don't have the US to compare to. I have 2 copies of the Elektra OPs, one VG and one NM, the 4 LP box set, and an Eletkra CD. On my modest system (check my profile for more details, if interested), the 4 LP box set sounds best. I don't know what they are listening to them on. Does anybody else here also have a 4 LP 45 RPM box set of AJFA and care to weigh in on this? I am surprised to be reading such a discrepant review from my own experience. Also, have you ever listened to the box set?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.