Metallica Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thank,s I did pick all of them up and agree they do sound fantastic. I already had Whiplash but unfortunately a pretty beat up noisy copy. Still love the cover though!

2. I decided to pick up this 2015 repressing of "Death Magnetic". Pressing quality seems to be very nice upon first inspection, flat, centered, scratch-free and in poly-lined inner sleeves. I think this is a Pallas pressing, so that would explain the high pressing quality. I am playing it right now, and I hope there are no playback problems. It's really nice to get a vinyl pressing which you don't have to return or have to live with some compromise (not enough of a problem to justify a return).

I have never heard this album on vinyl, only have the CD which is just very badly mastered. I think this vinyl pressing easily beats that dreaded CD version (which should not be very hard). Overall, it is certainly not a great sounding vinyl pressing, but I also don't find it totally unlistenable as some of the reviews suggested. Musically, I think this is a great album and I find it quite comparable to the new one overall. It's pretty riff-heavy, and I don't mind the occasional ballad mixed in for a little variation.

I am glad I picked it up from Amazon.de when it was on sale for a little under 18 Euros.

Jam757 likes this.
  3. Here's the DR info of my needledrop of this re-released vinyl version. Not really great, but more enjoyable than the CD in my opinion. Maybe one day this will get re-released with a more dynamic mastering/mix.

Code:
    foobar2000 1.3.6 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2016-12-07 23:17:17

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Metallica / Death Magnetic (Vinyl)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR  Peak  RMS  Duration Track
    DR9   -2.02 dB  -13.97 dB  7:09 01-That Was Just Your Life
    DR10  -2.19 dB  -13.76 dB  7:51 02-The End Of The Line
    DR8   -1.90 dB  -12.71 dB  6:29 03-Broken, Beat & Scarred
    DR9   -0.25 dB  -11.08 dB  7:57 04-The Day That Never Comes
    DR9   -0.32 dB  -11.39 dB  8:01 05-All Nightmare Long
    DR11  -0.42 dB  -12.76 dB  6:40 06-Cyanide
    DR9   -3.85 dB  -15.25 dB  7:46 07-The Unforgiven 3
    DR9   -2.07 dB  -12.72 dB  8:01 08-The Judas Kiss
    DR9   -1.44 dB  -12.41 dB  9:57 09-Suicide & Redemption
    DR9   -0.60 dB  -11.00 dB  5:08 10-My Apocalypse

Number of tracks:  10
    Official DR value: DR9

Samplerate:  96000 Hz
    Channels:  2
    Bits per sample:  24
    Bitrate:  4608 kbps
    Codec:  PCM
    ================================================================================

Jam757 and Soundslave like this.
  4. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I wonder what the numbers are for the original vinyl of this? I have it and it sounds like crap, clips all over the place. This does look like a slight improvement. I also thought the ITunes remaster was an improvement over the original release, seemed to eliminate much of the clipping as well. I would absolutely hate to shell out cash for this again though!

Soundslave and Daniel Thomas like this.
  5. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

I was given some money from my mother-in-law for Christmas gifts, and after buying some winter gloves, there was enough left over to buy a new record album. So I ran to the Cheapo Uptown store and grabbed Blackened label Re-Load LP. Sound quality is fantastic, a touch more detail than the 1997 CD. I'm really loving it. Now I'm wishing I grabbed those cassette tape copies of Load/Reload when I had a chance. Let the haters and crybabies whine, these are great rock 'n roll albums.

davidp71 and Clanceman like this.
  6. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

Just for fun, where are the US Blackend albums pressed? The US WB from Black onward were all Pallas if I recall.

7. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

There`s a 45 RPM of Death Magnetic in a local store for $40.I like the album mostly but that even seems too much for a marginal improvement.

8. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

This has to be a remaster right? I picked up this version recently and it sounds better than the original vinyl I used to have. It's listenable as long you don't crank it.

7upguy likes this.
  9. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I absolutely love my original press of this. Don't have another to compare, but enjoy it quite a bit & over the cd.

Vinyl Addict and Szeppelin75 like this.
  10. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

I might have to break out the OP and give it a spin in the near future. I have done a lot of upgrading in my system since I last spun it.

Clanceman likes this.
  11. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I have an original UK 3LP. I always thought it sounded good, I'll have to go back it give it a spin. I'm definitely guilty of only playing the final 3 sides (D-F).

Clanceman likes this.
  12. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Anyone have the One single with the live tracks on the B-side? Also, curious about the Wherever I May Roam single?

13. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

14. Dr. Metal MD

I've heard such good things about this box set. Only unfortunate thing is that it is super expensive now (from what I've seen).

Jam757, Clanceman and toddrhodes like this.
  15. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I picked it up for $240 shipped, NM condition. A few of the sides are not NM, others are basically unplayed. For 4 LPs, an EP and a single, it's not horribly expensive but it sure as hell ain't cheap. Having listened to it? I want a Mint set "just in case." Seriously, it's that effing good. I haven't played Master yet, but KEA and RTL are unbelievably good. Justice is really good, but I'd say not so drastically better than what I had (88' Holland) but make no mistake, it IS better than that pressing. Somehow they managed to make it louder, more aggressive, yet retain clarity, separation, and pull detail out that I've never heard before (or, if I had, it wasn't so obvious).

A stellar set. Glad I took a leap on it.

16. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

Sorry to bump this thread. I just picked up a sealed 6LP re-issue of Garage Days Inc. I have KEA and Ride the Lightening 33 RPM and 2 45RPM re-issues from 2008. I those sound good to ok. I have heard good things about the Garage Days 6LP 45 RPM box set so i got one for $129.99. I have the original 3LP pressing and it sounds good but i want a version that sounds better.

Clanceman likes this.
  17. Dr. Metal MD

You won't be disappointed. That box set sounds amazing. Only problem is that 1 or 2 of the LP's were warped for me....pretty bad....

18. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

Ok. Got 4 45rpm box set of Black album a week ago. Didn't have time to sit down and listen to the a few songs until the other night. Nothing else Matters has sylibance in a few spots on the song. Through speakers the sound is closed in and it sounds worse than my CD of the album which is a 1995 or 2000 remaster. The songs on the vinyl copy sounds best through headphones to me. Maybe it's my set up. Don't get me wrong I love the black album and have a lot of respect for the band.

19. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

I snagged a Load and ReLoad today, these came in resealable outer sleeves just like a music on vinyl release. Have seen originals for tons of money many times over and never wanted to drop that kind of money for the later output.

Opened Load and boy is it a nice pressing. There is no giveaway deadwax marking but there are some machine stamp numbers, could these be done at Pallas? Decent paper inner sleeves but with no poly liners.

I was expecting these Blackened label records to be awful and was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  20. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I totally dig the recent Blackened reissues. I’m happy with these 2, St Anger & Symphony on reissue.

joshm2286 and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  21. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

RockyMTnLeg Shaver Forum Resident

Agreed on the MFN 45 RPM pressing of MoP. It is a monster!

Jam757, Dr. Metal MD and Vinyl Addict like this.
  22. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I concur!

Jam757 and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  23. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Ok, random question. I’m thinking about purchasing a 6lp 45rpm Garage Inc. set. Does anyone know if there are any pressing quality differences between the US or EU versions? Is one recommended over the other? My first set which I ended up selling had some really significant warping on the last few discs.

Clanceman likes this.
  24. Dr. Metal MD

I have a US box and 2/6 are extremely warped. Major bummer. Otherwise a flawless pressing.

If you get the EU box, please let us know. The Universal boxes from the EU are smaller and there is less space for the LPs to shift. I wonder if the larger Warner US boxes lend themselves to damaging the LPs easier. I have the same problem with my 6LP S&M set, a couple warped discs.

Clanceman and Jam757 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.