Metallica Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

2. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I’ve heard the Garage Inc 45rpm EU version is not the same mastering as the US and just has stampers not the hand etching of the Bernie Grundman mastered version. I had order a set but had to cancel out of fear of an inferior pressing. It might sound the same not sure but not something I can risk for $130. Oh well, the search continues.

3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I have a US copy and I don't recall any warped LPs. I really only usually listen to the last 3 sides anyway though.

4. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Based on all of the incredible reviews and information I could dig up on this set I ordered one off of EBay. You can never have too many copies of these masterpieces right! I like comparing pressings and have been impressed with some of the Blackened remasters but I had to get this Rhino set for the ultimate shootout.

5. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Please report back on your thoughts! Did you have to spend an arm and a leg for it?

Jam757 likes this.
  6. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Yes, unfortunately it was not cheap but I always figure these limited edition sets will remain very valuable if I ever did want to part with it. The total was around $300 including tax/shipping etc. for supposedly unplayed vinyl. The pictures of the set looked excellent. I'll let everyone know how it sounds.

Vinyl_Blues and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  7. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Considering you basically got, assuming good NM condition vinyl, the first 4 records in better-than-original sound for $75-ish each, plus a couple extras in the box? It's not expensive at all looking at it that way.

For me, the standouts in this box are KEA and RTL. Master is fantastic but if you already have something like the MFN 45 RPM like I do or the 2020 HDTracks remaster? It's great but not as heads and shoulders beyond other copies like Ride/Kill.

You're going to love it, but I'm interested in how you hear them!

Vinyl_Blues and Jam757 like this.
  8. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Yeah can’t wait to hear these. I do now have all of the MFN 45rpm versions having just picked up Master. I’d say they’re all my go to versions but looking certainly forward to these. The new Blackened remasters of both Justice and Ride really surprised me actually as I wasn’t expecting much after the mistakes made on the 45rpm reissues of 2008.

9. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Got my Rhino Box today, f’n yeah!!!!! Extremely impressed thus far. Listened to Kill Em All record one and sounded really excellent. The drum sound is incredible and clarity in the guitar solos really shines. Shifting gears to Garage Days and wow this might beat my original pressing! Very, very strong presentation here. Rhino did an excellent job with this set. I guess it was probably limited to 5,000 as the vinyl resurgence hadn’t taken full hold yet.

Soundslave likes this.
  10. Dr. Metal MD

Glad to hear it's such a nice set. Congrats. For what it's worth, I feel like the 2008 45 RPM Garage Inc boxset sounds way better than my Garage Inc OP.

toddrhodes and Jam757 like this.
  11. toddrhodes

Rhino box just has the Garage Days/$5.98 EP in it, no Garage, Inc, it's basically the first four albums with the EP in between Puppets and Justice and I believe a 12" single pic disc but I haven't pulled mine out in awhile.

NM - I'm an idiot :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    Soundslave and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  12. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Yeah, I think Dr. Metal meant Garage Days 45rpm from the Garage Inc. set. I did used to have that and remember it sounding excellent so I’m looking forward to getting that set again.

Dr. Metal MD and toddrhodes like this.
  13. toddrhodes

Oh, duh - yea that makes sense :)

Glad you're enjoying the Rhino set! Ride is my favorite in that set but KEA is also better IMO than my original MF pressing. To be fair, my original has some "age" on it but it doesn't sound bad by any means, I just think the Rhino is THE copy of that album and Ride on vinyl.

Just last night I played my original CD of Ride and it's also not shabby by any measure.

14. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

These are all friggen fantastic! I’m really glad that someone was still putting out high quality vinyl
    in 2004. I’m listening to Master of Puppets right now and this is very strong, damn equivalent to the MFN 45rpm to my ears. I did have some pesky edge warps in a few spots but thankfully have a Vinyl Flat. Loving the analog sound on this. What a beautiful set!!

15. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Apologies if this has already been answered but has there ever been any confirmation that the EU pressings were inferior to the US on the 45rpm series from 2008? I’ve read misleading information on this. I know that the Kill, Ride, Puppets versions were crap across the board but I’m interested in Justice.

16. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I’m skeptical of this report that the EU versions are somehow inferior. Did you ever check the runouts to see if there are hand etchings (not sure that matters anyway)? My curiosity is getting the best of me with this one as I already own two incredible versions so the 45rpm would just be gravy!

17. Dr. Metal MD

Any comments on the Rhino box compared to the MFN 45 RPM for KEA and RLT? I have the MFN DMM copies of each album, would be curious as to your thoughts.

I have a Universal AJFA boxset and compared to my NM 1988 OP, it sounds better. More depth. I love it. I try to convince myself that I can actually hear bass throughout the album. I usually go to the new pressings in the expanded boxsets for listening partially due to convenience of only having 1 LP or 2 LPs with AJFA and I want to preserve my older pressings as much as possible. The new pressing compares I think equivalently with the 1988 OP but I think my Universal boxset is my best pressing of the album.

I do not have an OP of 'the black album' to compare my 4 LP set to. Waiting for them to release an expanded boxset for it....

Jam757 likes this.
  18. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks, yes the Rhino Box compares very favorably to the MFN 45rpm although probably still give the slight edge to the MFN. They’re almost equal really. I listened to some of the Justice from the Rhino Box and it too is completely fantastic. I listened to the Rhino Kill Em All yesterday and it is incredible, guitar sound just explodes on that one. I haven’t really done an A/B comparison but I’ll never part with my MFN versions.

Actually, because my curiosity always gets the best of me (damn it!) and Justice is a mind-blowing legendary album for me I ordered a 45rpm set, also Universal EU version. Got it for $65 in NM condition with no outer band and a bit of corner wear on the box. Figured that was probably best deal I was going to find. I’ll let you know what I think. I’ve never heard a bad version of Justice except for the reissue from 2010 or so.

hi_watt likes this.
  19. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

20. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

21. Dr. Metal MD

Any of you guys ever wonder with these boxsets who has #1? I wonder where the 1/5000 Metallica Rhino boxset is?

Jam757 likes this.
  22. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Dave Mustaine has this one!

23. Dr. Metal MD

Because of the talk here on the best Metallica pressings, I am re-going through my 45 RPM DMM pressings of KEA, RTL, and MOP. On KEA right now and damn...it sounds amazing. Definitely my definitive pressing. More space/wider soundstage (I think) than the recent reissue, which was overall very well done. A tad warmer and more dynamic. Bass separates more. Anyway, these are really good pressings if you can find affordable prices. The recent reissues are not that far behind them, so if you don't want to cough up the money, you aren't missing out on that much TBH.

Jam757 likes this.
  24. Dr. Metal MD

Also, any of you guys know if the Black album Blackened reissues are any good? I have the 45 RPM boxset and it is incredible. I do not have an OP. Looking for one but they are pretty damn expensive. Might just wait until they release a deluxe boxset since they have been doing such a good job with teh last 4.

25. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Well I tracked down a Rhino box, $340 and should have it this week. This set seems to get incredible reviews so I really excited to hear them for myself.

Soundslave, Dr. Metal MD and Jam757 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.