MFSL Don McLean's American Pie - Help!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin Sypolt, Feb 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member Thread Starter

This may have already been covered in the DCC forum, but I need some advise from all of you learned audiophiles wandering these famed halls. About a year or so ago, I obtained a MINT MFSL Don McLean American Pie GOLD CD. Upon listening to it, I noticed the highs would "fade in and fade out" about once every second or so. I found this extremely annoying! It was almost as if the master (if it was the master) was left on the front seat of some engineer's car for a couple of hours on a hot day... The tape sounds deformed (the way some of my cheaper 7.5 ips reel-to-reel tapes would sound). Has any one else heard this? Is this a well-known fact that the masters were damaged? When I listen to the stock McLean CD, I don't hear any problems. Did I just get stuck with a bad MFSL copy, or am I simply going mad??? :)

2. Ben

Ben New Member

Uh, oh.

I just scored one on eBay...it isn't here yet.

Will report all sonic findings.....Ben

3. Kevin Sypolt

Thanks Ben. I would gladly buy another one, if they don't all exhibit this defect. I can't imagine MFSL settling on such poor quality. However, this one was in the 700 series (UDCD728) where I feel quality was beginning to slip. However, having said that, SRV The Sky Is Crying (UDCD723) is one of the very BEST MFSL CDs. Go figure. The defect is evident in all songs, but clearly heard in the opening to American Pie. I shall anxiously await your findings...

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I was going to pick that one up. Now I'll wait for the verdict! Thanks.

5. Ben

Ben New Member

Hey, Kevin....the eagle has (finally) landed...

I'm really pleased with the sound of the disc...I can't hear the effect that you are talking about....I pulled out my old Don McLean's greatest hits on CD and the American Pie LP...and I can't hear anything there either....

Hope this helps....I've listened to them all twice through now...

Best,

Ben

6. Ben

Ben New Member

Hey, Kevin....had a thought....

Why don't I rip you a CD-R of my new "Pie" (it was sealed) and you can compare them? Send me a private message with your address and I'll do it this weekend....

Ben

7. Kevin Sypolt

Hi Ben,

That's most interesting! Makes me wonder from what rock this dog that I have crawled out from under (grey market/fake - it certainly looks like the real thing). Thanks for investigating... I think I will take you up on your offer for a CDR to compare. If it is perfect (as I believe yours must be), then I will be back in the market for another one...

Best Regards,
    Kevin

8. Ben

Ben New Member

Kevin:

I hope its the disc....my ears may not be in tune with yours....

But - I'll send you the CD-R and then we'll know.....

Best,

Ben

9. Kevin Sypolt

Hi Ben,

FYI, I just received the Don McLean AP CDR disc! Thanks! :)

Here are the results:
    ===============
    Well, it looks as if my current MFSL American Pie Gold CD is a "normal" MFSL copy after all! I also hear the same "drop outs" in the copy that you sent me. Very evident in the intro of the title track, but also evident throughout the disc. I would imagine that I am very sensitive to this type of drop out, having worked with a lot of inferior reel-to-reel tapes earlier in my youth. Drives me wacky, but obviously is not bad enough to offend others.

Thanks again for sending me this test CDR! This will save me from forking out a bunch-o-more-money to obtain yet another copy that sounds the same. Guess I'll have to buy a turntable again... :)

Best Regards,
    Kevin

10. Ben

Ben New Member

You're welcome, Kevin....all for the cause!

I guess I can't hear it - just tried again, oh well!

Take care,

Ben

11. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I bought that MFSL disc and then ditched it! That's how annoying this disc sounded. It sounds to me like a noise gate or a compressor with a quick release was on McLean's vocal mike.

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I'm sticking with my EMI standard aluminum CD of the album which doesn't sound bad.

13. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I'm sticking to my original vinyl United Artist LP. It's over 30 years old, the cover is real worn, but the vinyl's in great shape!

I've always loved that song on side 2 "Winterwood".

MLutthans likes this.
  14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Winterwood is a classic on the album. I've heard the UA vinyl and it does sound great as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.