MFSL Rolling Stones box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sam, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam

Sam Senior Member Thread Starter

I realize that the mofi albums usually take quite a beating on this forum. However, on some other sites I've read a lot of praise for the Rolling Stones mofi Box set. Come to think of it, I don't think I have seen anyone speak negatively about this mofi release on this forum. Are these some of the best sounding Stones pressings available? Did mofi hit the mark with their remastering of this box set? Steve, what are your honest thoughts if you've heard this set?

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I've gotten the impression from my remembrances of older posts that the CD's that "snuck" out of MoFi as London CD's were better than the MoFi LP's, at the least in general (sorry I don't remember the particulars, but someone else surely will).

3. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

It's a mixed bag. Some are great (Beggar's Banquet Stereo) and some are not (some of the US titles). It's nice to have all the same, since finding quiet UK pressings (mono especially) is difficult to say the least.

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I thought the consensus was the new LP's mastered from the DSD files were the shiznit.

I've heard parts of the MoFi box (grading it for another member) and it sounded really nice. It was clean and the pressings were really quiet.

5. Sam

Sam Senior Member Thread Starter

Michael Fremer did an excellent review of the Stones' albums on his website, and for the most part, most of the pressings that he seemed to prefer for the early Stones' era were the mofi pressings. At least that's what I could determine from his article. However, I always trust what many on this forum have to say which is why I posted the question here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.