MFSL Undercurrent LP - Bill Evans / Jim Hall

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by funknik, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funknik

funknik He who feels it. Thread Starter

I see that this is coming out soon, on the silver series maybe? I know if it will all be conjecture, but I was curious if anyone has thoughts on what to expect from this release.

I have a UA Japan King copy that sounds pretty good, but has a couple of spots where the music (piano) seems to clip into distortion . . . from what I understand these artifacts are present in all of the original pressings - can anyone confirm that? I had a CD copy before I got this LP and I don't remember ever hearing this distortion on those.

So:
    • does anyone know the source of this new version?
    • should we expect these distorted sections to be addressed?
    • can we expect it sound any better or worse than early pressings like mine?

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

When the CD came out a few years back on Blue Note it had been remixed from the 3 track tapes. My guess is that that is what they are using for this. Which would explain the silver series designation.

kt66brooklyn and funknik like this.
  3. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

Jim Hall was an amazing guitarist. Sad to hear of his passing.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  4. funknik

still no further word on this? . . . I have submitted my pre-order, now the waiting begins :waiting:

5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The best version is the Japan 1st CD, CP32. Period.

kt66brooklyn and crispi like this.
  6. Sourcreampudding

Sourcreampudding Forum Resident

Bump. This was just released!

7. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I hope not. That remix was terrible, almost mono. The original stereo mix is great and spacious.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  8. Sourcreampudding

The Silver Series designation only indicates that they didn't use the master tape, and doesn't suggest one way or the other whether the remix was used. So it may have been. Or it may not. For Miles Davis' In A Silent Way they used the original mix, despite the prevalence of the remix. So I'm inclined to think they would prefer to use the original if they can.

funknik likes this.
  9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Anyone have this yet? Is it out?

10. funknik

While I would prefer the original mix, I'm just really hoping that they were able to clean up some of the sloppy distortion present on the original LP . . . it really disrupts the chill atmosphere of this great album. Mix is, to me, secondary.

Sourcreampudding likes this.
  11. Sourcreampudding

12. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Sounds pretty good. Listening now.

13. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

As does the Pure Pleasure reissue..........

14. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

One more comment: there is noticeable distortion on the piano on this new MOFI LP, especially on Side 2. There is also some of the worst low-end rumble I have ever heard on track 1, Side 2. Just, FYI. Very good album, of course, but don't buy this expecting audiophile excellence. I don't have another vinyl LP to compare to this but, for the price, I'm happy to have the MOFI.

dadonred likes this.
  15. funknik

Thanks for this - I was wondering because the distortion is very noticeable on my Japan King LP copy - just how the recording was made, I suppose.

16. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Hi folks.

I have this recording on CD and have been looking forward to the MOFI vinyl.

This is kind of a weird-sounding album.

Not because of the players (it doesn't get better than Bill Evans and Jim Hall), but I think because of problems when it was recorded.

I have read there were glitches with the tape or with the people who were in the recording booth at the time.

I was hoping the MOFI might be a little better.

I'll get it anyway.

The only originals I have found in used shops have been either trashed or far too expensive.

17. crispi

I have the original mono LP and it doesn't have any distortion problems. However, it doesn't sound as tonally rich as the original stereo mix but it's not something that bothers me.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  18. crispi

I have a needledrop of the LAX-3112 version. Could you give me an example where the distortion is audible?

19. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

Hmm...I have the original Blue Note CD (I think from 1988) mastered by Malcolm Addey, which I think sounds pretty great. I think some of the distortion is inherent to the recording. Has anyone compared the original Blue Note CD to the new MoFi? I really enjoy this album.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  20. funknik

I can't remember exactly, but if I recall, it was very noticeable on A2 and two tracks on side B . . . don't remember where off the top of my head . . . I don't remember noticing the distortion on the Blue Note CD or on the internet radio versions I've heard, but I didn't listen too critically to them. I'm disappointed that the new MoFi has the distortion, but after talking to different people with different versions, it seems the clipping is inherent to the recording as you say.

21. funknik

really? I didn't realize that the distortion issues were only present in the stereo copy and not the mono . . . now I know what I may need to do.

22. crispi

If you can tell me the exact spots you're hearing the distortion, I can go back and check the mono. So that we know that we are talking about the same thing.

23. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

Anybody else that's heard this MFSL LP version have any further comments on the sound? Also interested if anyone's heard the Pure Pleasure LP, it's pricier and I'm wondering if it actually beats the MoFi (significantly).

24. Sourcreampudding

Ditto this. I was going to get the MFSL (and still might), but now I'm less sure if I wouldn't be better off hunting down one of the Japanese King versions or the Pure Pleasure.

Incidentally, there are two different releases by King, both released in 1976. I wonder if they sound the same?

http://www.discogs.com/Bill-Evans-Jim-Hall-Undercurrent/release/3657248
    http://www.discogs.com/Bill-Evans-Jim-Hall-Undercurrent/release/3515497

25. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

I have the MFSL release, sounds wonderful to my ears. I don't hear any distortion, or at least have not noticed it and I've listened to it four or five times so far. I would not hesitate to pick it up. Of course, you can't go wrong with a King pressing. I don't have Undercurrent on King, but have many others and am always happy with their releases. I don't know what they are going for though, and considering the price I'll take the MFSL thank you.

Sourcreampudding likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.