Michael Hutchence. Largely forgotten?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sondek, May 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

. MH did not die in that manner. Read up on it, and stop spreading misinformation.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2016
    Jarleboy, Binni and leoconsole like this.
  2. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Well, I guess people always focus on the frontman. I'll bet even now you'd find people at U2 shows that couldn't name the bass player.

cquiller1 and Nostaljack like this.
  3. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

that beautiful sax, it reminds me Donie Darko movie,
    yea nobody mention them, great band

4. John-Adam

John-Adam Forum Resident

Truth. :)

D.B. and Mike .S. like this.
  5. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

Well, when you think about it, a lot of bands catch heat if they sound a bit similar to a MORE-famous band. Just look at the Alarm. Awesome band, but just couldn't rise above U2's shadow. INXS had a shadow of its own. When most Americans are asked to name a famous Australian band from the last 30 years (or 50 for that matter), I would guarantee that INXS lands in the top 3. Not too shabby.

6. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

amy winehouse? What did she do...one album? she is famous for one thing...being a junkie. Cultural influence? Zilch.

goodiesguy likes this.
  7. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I love Hutchence era INXS. A lot. Listen to it all the time.

There are a ton of great deep INXS tracks IMO. Particularly on Shabooh Shoobah. And Kick is basically an entire album of A Sides.

8. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

"Guns in the Sky" from Kick, one of the all-time great album openers.

coffeetime, D.B., 905 and 3 others like this.
  9. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

I can always count on this place to make me feel like a hip young kid, even though I'm pushing 50. :D

FYI, the posted image is a common Internet meme called a "Troll Quote" where three or more specifics within a genre are mashed up into one egregiously erroneous quote.

[​IMG]

10. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Well, the Alarm didn't do themselves any favors by looking like and sounding like U2 on the overproduced Eye of the Hurricane Lp. With the success of the JTree U2 left their contemporaries in the dust.

11. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Shame, really, because they were a fantastic live act and had many great songs.

Rocketdog likes this.
  12. dee

dee Senior Member

Have any of their cds been remastered and released through Audio Fidelity?

13. Phasecorrect

Indeed . Unfortunately for them JTree became one of the selling lps of all time and their association with U2 ending being a liability. They went all in on Eye of the Hurricane which in retrospect was a high risk gamble. Rescue me us a great song and the lead single Rain in the summertime was pretty catchy.

sean4554, Fullbug and CybrKhatru like this.
  14. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Agreed. I saw their UCLA performance on TV (Strength tour) but didn't see them live until the Hurricane tour. I wasn't a huge fan of that album, but live the songs were fantastic.

15. Phasecorrect

Strength put them in a somewhat precarious position as being perceived as U2 clones. And touring with them only solidified that. To be fair the media attempted to categorize Big Country, the Call, U2, Echo, the Alarm, etc.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  16. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Have the remaining members finally given up music?

17. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

The Google is your friend:

INXS' Tim Farriss Endures 'Nightmare' Accident, Loses Finger »

2/5/2015

INXS founding guitarist Tim Farriss is recovering from two operations to reattach a finger he severed in a grim boating accident last month.

The legendary new-wave band's label Petrol Records has confirmed Farriss suffered permanent damage to his left hand when he lost his ring finger in a mishap with the electric anchor winch of his boat.

Farriss was injured Jan. 24 near his Sydney seaside home, and was treated at the Royal North Shore hospital for a week. "Tim is now at home undergoing further treatment to assist with his recovery," the label notes.

Farriss shared an update on his condition via INXS' Facebook page. "I'm overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and well wishes I'm receiving. Thank you all, I'm feeling the love and it's really helping me get through this nightmare," he said.

It's too early to tell whether he'll ever play the guitar again. The band's creative director and global strategist Chris Murphy said, "he is getting the best possible care and we hope with time he will regain movement in his finger." Farriss will undergo physiotherapy as part of the recovery process. "This was a terrible accident, we are all here to support him," explains Murphy.

Despite announcing their retirement in 2012, INXS enjoyed a renaissance last year thanks to the ratings juggernaut that was the TV miniseries Never Tear Us Apart.

The band's hits set The Very Best (Petrol Records/UMA) came in at No. 4 on ARIA's year-end sales chart for 2014, a lofty position that wasn't bettered by any other Aussie act, or international group. INXS' The Very Best was the best-selling recording by the half-year mark and it notched-up seven weeks at No. 1, the best by any act for the year.

In the week after free-to-air broadcaster Channel 7 aired the final episode of the two-part series in Febuary 2014, INXS had landed six entries in the ARIA top 40 albums chart.

When the surviving members of INXS called time after 35 years, the group had notched up 11 studio albums, including six that sold platinum or better in the U.S.

Sondek likes this.
  18. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Its funny that you guys bring up The Alarm, I liked them a lot in the 80's also and was gonna look for the CDs. Guess you guys had the same thought lol. Before the Joshua Tree, I liked them better than U2. I seem to remember thinking Change was good too. I'm gonna go look for them

19. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure it was R.E.M. that was competing with U2 for title of best band in the world during that time period.

I can think of many bands from that time period that I prefer to INXS. But that is just my opinion. However I can state pretty safely that REM and U2 were the 2 big names. Thats not my opinion.

John-Adam likes this.
  20. Phasecorrect

The Cure was a stadium act by the late 80s and has always been popular in EU. P

21. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Is Michael Hutchence comparable to the recently deceased Scott Weiland, in terms of general awareness?

Actually, Weiland may be better known right now because of his death being relatively recent, but perhaps they've had a roughly equal impact on music.

22. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I just cleaned up and listened to a copy of Under the Colors yesterday...such a talented bunch of guys.

MH honestly had it all...the voice, the style, the charisma...the more I listen the more I realize what he was capable of. I think people are going to rediscover him in the years to come.

23. Looking forward to the continuing series, AusAxl, once Axl is done with AXL/DC, he fronts INXS, or INXL.

D.B. and GypsyDavey like this.
  24. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Depeche Mode as well

25. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I only have Kick. I also like the two songs they recorded with Jimmy Barnes for The Lost Boys soundtrack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.