Michael Jackson "Off The Wall" original mixes on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JJAM, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I think it's on two, actually. One released in 1988 (Off The Wall / She's Out Of My Life - Epic 10 8P 3045) and one released in 1989 (Thriller / Off The Wall - Epic 654577 3)

2. fabriziom1974

fabriziom1974 Forum Resident

I think the second one is actually made in Austria for the "Mixed Masters" series. Do you have this version in CD quality?

3. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I do not.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I didn't say that it did.

5. mario villarroel

mario villarroel Forum Resident

I'm confused with those sentences

6. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Listen Get On The Floor, section starting at 2:51. The original mix will have handclaps every second beat (1 - clap - 3 - clap - 1 - clap - 3 - clap - ..), while the remix will have handclaps only every fourth beat (1 - 2 - 3 - clap - 1 - 2 - 3 - clap - ...). But the presence of the rhythm guitar in the left channel during the chorus on the remix is also a significance change, and there are dozens more, not subtle. Also at least on my CDs, the original mix is about 10 seconds longer (4:46 until silence, 4:50 in total on the CD).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    ggggreenisaac and Grant like this.
  7. Grant

A typical rock 4/4 tempo will have four beats per measure. Count: 1-2-3-4. In this case, the handclaps are only on the "2" beat of each bar. Count: 1-clap-3-4. 1-clap-3-4.

Andreas explained it too.

Sorry. I learned how to read music back when I was nine years old. I don't remember everything, but I remember the basics.

mario villarroel likes this.
  8. mario villarroel

Is this a valid sentence for those two releases?:
    CDEPC 83468 holland pressing
    And 35 8P-2
    Those releases are different master?
    I'm asking this because I find that these releases cost much more than each other, especially the 35 8P-2?
    And I will decide to purchase it

9. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I once owned a 35 8P-2, and it sounds great. This CD does have the early pre-emphasis in the treble, but most CD players detect it and apply de-emphasis.

c-eling and mario villarroel like this.
  10. mario villarroel

Those two releases were mastered in Japan, so I think they have the same recording process

11. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Most likely correct, the 5407 has pre also, would make sense it was carried to the Holland press as well, question is, where is the tag located? Most modern players will detect and add the proper eq via analog out if the tag is located in the table of contents, Sub Q channel is more difficult with newer players, ie Oppo

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Is the 5407 the one from 1991? I thought that one had the same mastering, but no pre-emph.

13. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Not sure George, I was going by the list submission

14. George P

George P Notable Member

I can confirm that the 5407 ESCA CD has the original mixes and does not have pre-emphasis.

c-eling likes this.
  15. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

These releases are only the same if the CDEPC one has 25 8P-2 in its matrix code. If not, it's the same as the master from Austria.

If you are referring to this Printed in Holland version, it's the Japanese pressing.

16. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I know I'm very late to post on this thread but I have come across something quite interesting regarding the remix of 'Off The Wall'. The Sony/Legacy Essential Michael Jackson set on itunes has the remix off 'Off The Wall'. You can preview it and you'll hear the difference right away. Listen to the handclaps which are brought up very loud in the mix with the vocals not as loud as the original mix. I checked Youtube for Off The Wall from the Essential set and only found the original non remixed version. Amazon and CD Universe have the original version on their soundclips preview. I have only heard the remix on itunes so I don't know if at some point after the Essential set came out the version of 'Off The Wall' on it was changed to the remixed version. If anyway can shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it. Go to itunes and select The Essential set and listen to 'Off The Wall'. Those handclaps make it very easy to hear the difference between the original and the remix.

Thanks

Scott

17. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Original Album Version

18. Stereosound

Single Mix

19. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Thanks for the post. What is very odd is that on the 2 CD Sony/Legacy Essential comp for the song 'Off The Wall' it's an edit of the LP mix except that for some odd reason The Essential set on itunes is the 45 remix of the song Off The Wall. I couldn't even find that remix on Youtube. It also has the heavy handclaps and lower vocals. Check it out on itunes. I know people were looking for that remix and for some reason it's only on the itunes version of the Essential set.

20. Stereosound

It would be nice if someone would post the different Off The Wall(song) versions on YouTube as well as Get On The Floor versions.

21. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I don't have the capabilities to do that and don't have a Youtube channel. Just by chance I noticed that the song Off The Wall on the MJ Essential set on itunes is the remix version. I'm still baffled as to how itunes got this version instead of the LP version as the actual physical 2 CD set for Essential has an edit of the LP version. I'm just surprised that I couldn't even find this remix on Youtube. One person did post a 45 mix but it was drenched in reverb and wasn't the same remix as the one on itunes.

22. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I just purchased the 25-8P from eBay a minute ago. Does this version have the original mixes?

23. Grant

Michael Jackson's "Off the Wall": the "Essential Michael Jackson: CD doesn't have it after all. I decided to check that CD version against the actual 45, and there key difference is that on the 45, a keyboard part isn't there. The pitch matches, the timing matches, but the mix doesn't.

So, the 45 version of the song isn't on any current CD. It only ever appeared on a CD single from back in the 80s.

24. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I don't think I explained it correctly. Yes the 2 CD Essential set does not have the single version. However the track on itunes (from the Essential set) is in fact a remix. If you have itunes pull up The Essential set from itunes and sample 'Off The Wall'. Someone at Sony goofed and by mistake supplied itunes with the remix. I actually bought the track from itunes and it's absolutely a remix and very easy to hear. Those hand claps being much much more in the mix is a dead giveway and the background harmonies are lower in volume while the handclaps are way up front in the mix.

Let me know if you can sample the track on itunes and then you'll hear exactly what I'm hearing.

25. Grant

And, what I am saying is that the Essential version iTunes put up is the one on that CD. There are three mixes of that song: the original album version, the 45 single mix, and this one on the essential CD. It appears that no one has pulled the correct 45 single mix tape for a domestic reissue since the 80s, and is very typical of Sony Music.

When Quincy Jones and team created Michael Jackson albums, his engineer usually did several rounds of mixes, and Q, Michael, the engineer, and Rod Temperton sat down and critiqued each one to find the ones they were happy with. This process famously held up Thriller's release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.