Michael Jackson's "Thriller" is an INCREDIBLE album....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

There is a very good slow cover of "Human Nature" by an artist I like named David Mead, you should check it out! Also of note on Michael Jacksons version of "Human Nature", the band and SOUND is totally the group "TOTO". If you were take Michael's voice off the track, it sounds just like any TOTO song, IMO!

Chris C

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

And if Miles had hailed The Girl Is Mine you'd be lauding it.

3. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I love "Thriller", a fantastic album.
    Was McCartney in a "famous moment" at that time? Why MJ choose him to sing some songs? I love McCartney, but I find those tunes... :rolleyes:

4. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Nah. Miles also loved Time After Time, which I can do without.

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Not to make you think I enjoy The Girl Is Mine. McCartney at his smarmiest! :shake:

6. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

I think that "Thriller" would be held higher in opinion these days if most of it hadn't been so overplayed on the radio back then. I still think it is a very good pop record.

The deifnitive MJ Quincy Jones prod album would have been a 10-song collection of the best tracks from both "Off the Wall" and "Thriller." I would have picked these for a vinyl release although at about 25 minutes a side, that would have been hard to master decently.

Side One:

1. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough 6:06
    2. Rock With You 3:39
    3. Off The Wall 4:05
    4. Human Nature 4:06
    5. Thriller 5:57

Side Two:

1. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' 6:03
    2. Beat It 4:18
    3. Billie Jean 4:52
    4. I Can't Help It 4:29
    5. Working Day And Night 5:13

If it were a CD, I would add as bonus tracks:

P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) 3:58
    The Girl Is Mine (w/ Paul McCartney) 3:41
    She's Out Of My Life 3:37
    Get On The Floor 4:39
    Burn This Disco Out 3:41

Osato likes this.
  7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The SACD made me appreciate this song.

8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Good, but not great. Off The Wall was better IMO.

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I don't have it in front of me but I think Steve Porcaro co-wrote that song with John.

10. mrtanner

mrtanner Active Member

11. GMav

GMav Senior Member

IMO, and with all due respect, I disagree. I believe this was a case of being at the right place at the right time, and really nothing more. The album has a few moments, but I prefer his stuff that came before, especially with the Jackson 5.

Is it just me, or does it seem like his albums that followed, had a pattern that matched his personal life, I mean with regards to their titles? BAD...........DANGEROUS...........INVINCIBLE (or so he thought). ;)

As far as his story being sad, who really does he have to blame for it? Perhaps there are some who mismanaged his career, but when all is said and done, wasn't he the ultimate decison maker, or was he even capable of making a decision?

Forgive me for getting off the subject, anyway, I don't really believe that Thriller is an incredible album. Just my humble opinion.

12. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Probably why I like that song so much. It is very TOTO.

13. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

I've said the same thing regarding both of your comments for years, and I'm not even a MJ fan.

I grew up during the time he was on top of the charts. I was a sophomore in H.S. when Thriller was released and living in San Diego, let me tell you, he was dominating Southern California (and the rest of the world, too). Thriller was an a great album, that's for sure.

I, too, wonder what went wrong with him? It's a sad story for everyone involved, really.

14. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

15. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

It was issued in the suburbs along with a copy of Fleetwood Mac's Rumors. :D

16. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

"Thriller" is a great album, but I have to agree that "Off The Wall" has held up better. Mostly due to the fact that most of the singles from "Thriller" have been played to death on radio over the years. The cuts that didn't get as much exposure like "Human Nature", "P.Y.T." and especially "The Lady In My Life" which has been a Quiet Storm radio staple for years have been my faves to listen to of late. I still think "P.Y.T." even though it reached the top 10(peaked at #10 Pop) that it should have charted higher. That single IMO kind of got the short shrift because "Say, Say, Say" was released only a few weeks after. A lot of radio stations dropped "P.Y.T." from their playlists in favor of that second Jackson/McCartney collaboration which I think hasn't aged as well over time.

17. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I rmember I had my birthday party at skateland the year Thriller came out and I swear like 4 or 5 people ALL gave me Thriller for my Birthday lol.

18. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I think Off The wall is stronger overall but better singles are on Thriller.

I wish I can eliminate The Girl Is Mine for all eternity.

19. markl

markl Senior Member

Going out on a limb, I'd say "Bad" is actually a stronger album than Thriller. :hide:

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Thriller reminds me of when I first got a CD player. Thriller was probably the 10th CD I picked up. When I compared it to the LP version that I had in my office it sounded exactly the same. That was the first time I realized that the LP and CD were both made from the same "EQ'd Cutting Dub". I never liked the "sound" of the album until......

I was at Knott's Berry Farm close to Halloween '83 with my then girlfriend Clair Marlo. We were hanging out there at night in a section of the park where they were about to show the THRILLER VIDEO on big screens so people could dance or something.

Well, the song came on and when the rhythm kicked in, wow, that's what is was supposed to sound like. The speaker system was like 25 giant horn PA speakers all strapped together. Hard to believe but it sounded really good and really loud. We both looked at each other with open mouths and started dancing. (Glad no one was watching). :)

At any rate, that was the only time I ever really heard anything on that album sound really good. Bruce must have mixed that puppy on horns.

When I got the single layer SACD a few years ago I finally heard the sound that I remembered from Knott's Berry Farm. Guess my equipment has improved as well but they used the correct tape for the first time I guess..

I wonder if Clair remembers that night? Probably not... :sigh:

Attached Files:

21. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

I always preferred Weird Al's sensitive and respectful versions of Michael Jackson's tunes to the originals by the gloved one.

22. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Steve, you do realize that Clair Marlo's LET IT GO album will now go platinum within days?

23. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I know a lot of us pulled out Thriller today (that sounds really dirty) but how many of you listened to the Victory album? :hide: :D

24. Dave D

Dave D Done!

State Of Shock rules!!!! :D :shake:

25. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Friends,

I still like Thriller but, I do not play it much either. The best sounding versions I have heard? All Japanese vinyl pressings, including:

12" 45rpm

"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' "
    "Billie Jean"
    "Thriller"

All were b/w instrumental versions of the tracks on side A

LP

Japanese Master Sound mastering of the LP on heavy vinyl. More bottom end than U.S. pressings and mid-range sounds more natural.

I do not have the more recent CD re-master as yet.

Bob :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.