Mick Taylor: (non Stones) Musical highlights & recommendations discussion.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by All Down The Line, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man Thread Starter

I also really enjoy Mick's slide on Wood's Now Look album, some great feel and joy transmitted there!

2. GAW Jr.

GAW Jr. Forum Resident

Herbie Mann - Bitch

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man Thread Starter

There is an unofficial label called:
    The Mick Taylor Collection By Original Artists.

I am unsure how many (few) titles exist but I have 2, both made in 2006 and both in deluxe foldout cardboard digipack.

1) The first is a live CD (cat: WLR-2010) which is a John Mayall's Bluesbreakers performance from Bremen Germany on May 22nd 1969 that includes some intense playing from Mick.
    The package also contains a full panel advertisement for.........

2) Mick Taylor (cat: WLR-1029) a wonderful 111 minute DVD collection of great quality.
    Featured is the late 60's Bluesbreakers including an interview with Mick.
    Next 3 full RS Hyde Park cuts not yet (completely) officially released.
    A full colour 30 minute performance of Mike Oldfields Tubular Bells.
    Next the complete 75' BBC Old Grey Whistle Test performance of The Jack Bruce Band and a Taylor interview.
    Lastly we see Taylor live backing Chris Jagger on 2 cuts from 2003.

This is highly recommended to any serious Mick Taylor fan for the performances, picture quality throughout, sound, rarity and superb packaging!

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

THANK YOU! :winkgrin::righton:

All Down The Line likes this.
  5. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Great guitarist. Fantastic. A joy to hear play.
    Totally lacking in charisma. no good as a singer. Can't communicate emotion in a song.
    Not imaginative enough to make it as a solo artist.
    Too many drugs and unable to handle alone.

stef1205 likes this.
  6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

"Great guitarist. Fantastic. A joy to hear play." That's what counts (imo).

Bruso and All Down The Line like this.
  7. All Down The Line

If you like his interpretation of Red House he also tackled it on the Little Red Rooster CD and on the Experience Hendrix DVD alongside the band Indigenous.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  8. All Down The Line

Sweet choice!

9. All Down The Line

@John Fell iam sure you cold share some excellent Taylor examples!

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

13. All Down The Line

This clip was new to me so I am Grateful.

John Fell likes this.
  14. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Carla Olson - Too Hot for Snakes live bum. Mick Taylor plays an epic solo on Sway...epic!

MikeP5877 and All Down The Line like this.
  15. All Down The Line

Yes a good tip for Taylor fans!

16. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

I met Billy once, and asked him if he knew where I might find a copy of this. His response: "Man, I don't even have a copy of that record!"

17. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

Jagger and Richards should have let him sing more.

18. All Down The Line

I wonder why they didn't?

Another Steve likes this.
  19. All Down The Line

Thank you sir, I played the live disc of my 2CD copy today and whilst I knew Sway was really hot the whole concert with Taylor is very fine and he IS on form!

markp likes this.
  20. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

[​IMG]
    This has some pretty good Taylor guitar, and is overall pretty a good concert. It is on DVD and CD. You can see some of it on youtube.

21. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Several years ago I happened upon a used copy of the Mick Taylor Band's
    `Little Red Rooster' with John Cochlan and Noel Redding, live 2001. It
    includes `Red House', et al.

22. All Down The Line

Mick has a sticky plaster on his finger though plays very well though generally not extraordinarily.
    Buddy Whitington is competitive and trying to goose him, challenge and out play him but Mick does not buy into it.

23. All Down The Line

I must mention Papa John Phillips belated release "Pay, Pack And Follow" that dates back in part to the mid 70's in part and was released in the 2000's!

Taylor is at his very best on "Oh Virginia" with his solo and fills on this country rock flavoured number.

He also plays a muscular hard edged solo on "Zulu Warrior" a little ala Dance Little Sister's break.

I believe these sessions are from 1976 and also feature playing with Taylor, Messrs Jagger, Richards, Wood & Watts.

Apparently when Keith walked into the studio at John's invitation and saw Taylor things were a bit tense for a while.

The story goes that upon hearing Taylor play his great solo on Oh Virginia Keith Richards turned to him and said; "Now I know why I don't like you!"

For Stones fans it is fantastic to hear Taylor, Richards & Watts work together (so well) one more time!

24. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

I was thinking of starting a new thread but maybe enough of you will notice this and have an opinion: where does Mick Taylor rank among the great British guitar players of the 60s/70s? Definitely the best guitarist the Stones ever had but how do guitar players rank him against Beck, Green, EC, Gilmour, Page, etc.

25. All Down The Line

He was great in his own right.
    Excellent with Mayall, particularly live as time went by.
    Killer with the Stones much of the time & almost always when live.
    His vibrato was one of the very best of all the British guys, ditto for his slide playing & his melodic sensibility was near unique among the British throng.
    His lead playing was more melodic than Clapton, smoother than Page & tastier than Alvin Lee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.