Midnight Oil announces massive 2017 reunion tour, 3 huge box sets with unreleased music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunkweasal

Bunkweasal Forum Resident

What does this mean? Rob Hirst has firearms that you admire? Please explain, thanks.

2. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

^ guns = biceps. Though MO are so PC that they would probably object to this choice of word, not to mention implication of sexual objectification.;)

3. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

4. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

5. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Best news ever.

6. Wordnat

Wordnat Active Member

YES. Red Sails has gotta be one of the most overlooked/under appreciated LPs of all time.

7. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

8. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Spot on with their assesment of the world we live in. great social commentary etc. with catchy music too boot

9. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Nerdy packaging question! I have seen European and Australian pressings of all the Oils albums up through Earth, Sun, Moon (except for maybe Diesel and Dust) with colored CD trays. I nicked a few photos from ebay below to show what I'm talking about. Does anyone know if these were part of a specific reissue campaign or something? I know I have seen other CBS CDs with the red tray, but never blue or green, which seem designed to match the album art. Just curious if anyone knows what's up with these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Were these all DADC Austria pressings Morgan? I see a few around on the bay from time to time but have been happy enough with my early US presses to buy them
    That 'Red Sails' is kinda neat though, My early US does not have the title on the front

morgan1098 likes this.
  11. morgan1098

Yeah, the title of "Red Sails" has come and gone and come back again on various issues of the album. The picture looks cool without it, but I also like the font they use and the white lettering against the blue sky, so I can't decide which version I like best!

As for the color CD trays, I'm not sure where those CDs were pressed. I see them on ebay a lot but the only one I actually own is the Blue Sky Mining with the blue tray. I'll check when I get home to see if it's a DADC Austria pressing. I don't think it is.

Also, I don't think any of the colored trays were ever issued in the US, with the exception of Scream in Blue Live, which had a dark blue, almost purple tray.

The foolish collector in me kind of wants to track down all of these "colored tray" versions, but I am resisting the temptation!

c-eling likes this.
  12. c-eling

I say go for it, they are pretty cool!
    Curious on that Blue Sky Mine you have, when you get a chance give an update :)

13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The three issued originally with coloured trays were "Scream In Blue Live", "Earth And Sun And Moon" and "Blue Sky Mining" - blue, green and blue respectively.

BlackCircleVinyl and morgan1098 like this.
  14. c-eling

So the other earlier titles may have been re-issues to follow suit John?

15. John Buchanan

The all red theme was for a cheap re-issue series IIRC

c-eling likes this.
  16. morgan1098

That's what I suspected. Like I said, I have seen other CBS catalog titles with those red trays. Is it safe to say that the blue, green and blue trays for the other three were a first-run type of thing? And only for Australia and Europe? I don't think the original US CDs came like that, with the exception of Scream in Blue Live.

This is minutia, I know. I'm just on an Oils kick right now and I'm curious! :)

c-eling likes this.
  17. c-eling

US didn't for the two unless they were region-ated, Picked the two studio's up on Tuesday release

18. John Buchanan

Later issues were standard grey trays and the CD face art became non-picture.

19. morgan1098

You were right... my blue-tray copy of Blue Sky Mining is a DADC Austria pressing!

c-eling likes this.
  20. c-eling

Good guess on my part, I have a couple Austria DADC fatboy red's issued around that time, so I was thinking the colored trays were coming from there :)

21. morgan1098

Ok, not to beat a dead horse, but I said I had never seen "Diesel and Dust" with a different-colored tray... until I saw this copy from a German seller! What in the world? That color scheme would be better for a Prince album. :laugh:

[​IMG]
    MIDNIGHT OIL - "Diesel And Dust" (CD) »

c-eling likes this.
  22. c-eling

That's gotta be a re-tray, I have that disc :laugh:

John Buchanan likes this.
  23. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

These 3 tracks from Garrett's new album (A Version Of Now) also feature Martin Rotsey from the Oils on guitar.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    No Bull and Mondie like this.
  24. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

This one is an old Oils era song, written by Garrett/Mogine/Rotsey.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    No Bull likes this.
  25. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

No Bull likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.