Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells 50th - Blu-ray Audio 05.26.23 (Atmos/Quad/5.1/Stereo/Demos)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dobyblue, Mar 31, 2023.

1. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident Thread Starter

Big release from SDE, an exclusive Blu-ray Audio loaded with brand new Atmos and stereo mixes by David Kosten, Mike's 2009 5.1 mix presented on physical disc in a lossless format for the first time, the 1975 Quad mix and other goodies including the first listen to Mike's demo for TB4 that never came to be.

[​IMG]

Mike Oldfield / Tubular Bells 50th anniversary limited edition SDE-exclusive blu-ray audio

Full list of contents:

Tubular Bells – 2023 David Kosten Dolby Atmos Mix*
    Tubular Bells - 2009 Mike Oldfield 5.1 Surround Mix
    Tubular Bells - 1975 Quad Mix
    Tubular Bells Intro Edit - 2023 David Kosten Dolby Atmos Mix*
    Tubular Bells - 2023 David Kosten Stereo Mix (48/24)*
    Tubular Bells - 1973 Original Mix (96/24)
    Tubular Bells Intro Edit - 2023 David Kosten Stereo Mix (48/24)*
    Tubular Bells 4 Intro - Demo (48/24)
    *Only available physically on this product

This product is only available from SDE, they also have some bundles as the 50th will see CD, vinyl and digital releases.

Pre-orders: Mike Oldfield – theSDEshop.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 Vinyl: half-speed mastered by Miles Showell and is a 2LP set:
    Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells 50th Anniversary Limited Edition 2LP – uDiscover Music

Tracklist

A1. Tubular Bells - Part One (2023 Half Speed Master by Miles Showell)
    B1. Tubular Bells - Part Two (2023 Half Speed Master by Miles Showell)

C1. Tubular Bells 4 Intro (previously unreleased demo)
    C2. Tubular Bells/In Dulci Jubilo (Music for the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games)
    D1. Tubular X
    D2. Tubular Bells (Mike Oldfield & YORK Remix)
    D3. Mike Oldfield's Single (Theme From Tubular Bells)

zobalob, fredblue, ARK and 23 others like this.
  2. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Great news. Thanks for posting. Any Mike news is good news. How many people have Atoms........?! Or even 5.1. I'll probably still buy it though. Also a RSD TB demo soon as well.

Ommadawn forever!!!!!!

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Okay I might need that.

4. dobyblue

I'm most excited for the Atmos as I already have the SACD with the quad mix and a lossless download of the 2009 5.1 mix that was offered as FLAC by Bowers & Wilkins for a limited time, but I'm also looking forward to hearing the new stereo mix...I don't mind revisionism when it isn't attempting to replace something. Offering both the original 2.0 mix and the new 2.0 mix in high resolution and hopefully mastered lovingly as most of Mike's output has been...very cool! Bring on May 26.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Great to see a Blu Ray Audio disc that’s packed with content.

With all those bare bones discs I’ve come across, there’s no wonder the format went down the tubes.

6. Phil P

Phil P Forum Resident

Blu-Ray pre-ordered, but will get the CD or vinyl too for the London Olympics track! Less urgency on that though.

Thanks for the OP!

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  7. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Please keep in mind the pre-order windows is only for 10 days. After that, it's too late!

quicksrt likes this.
  8. Wait a second:

• Single disc, easily purchasable Blu Ray,
    • 2023 Dolby Atmos mix AND new stereo mix,
    • All previous mixes included in high resolution
    • Bonus materials

Dang, looks like they got it right!

...well, almost. I noticed that the 2009 stereo remix is excluded, and Mike Oldfield's Single isn't included on the Blu Ray. Its B-Side (Froggy Went A-Courting) is also absent.

Actually, come to think of it: the original mix of Mike Oldfield's Single has never been re-released; it's always been the 2009 remix. I wonder if the 2LP set will use the original mix or the remix?

Still, this set is almost perfect, although the cover art is super-ugly. If it's $30 or less, I'll pick it up.

Pinknik likes this.
  9. dobyblue

Yeah I think Paul probably meant to put "previous surround mixes" given this is in the "Surround Series"

Got my pre-order in, I have four discs pending now (EBTG, The Hurting, Dylan and Tubular)

10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

When you receive your payment confirmation, you realized you've given your money to
    the Parallax Corporation... :eek:

[​IMG]

magister345, moople72 and Stencil like this.
  11. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Not a bad price, either. Thanks for the link.

12. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Another fabulous release from Paul and SDE. :goodie:

ARK, Terry, pscreed and 3 others like this.
  13. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I didn't know until now that he has retired :(

ARK and MrJerry1876 like this.
  14. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I don't think he sees that as a sad thing, on the contrary. He well deserves to enjoy life.

ARK and paulybauls like this.
  15. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

It's sad to me, I'm entitled to feel that way.

16. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Absolutely! I've never stated otherwise.

17. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Blu-Ray ordered, and the CD is also a no-brainer for me. If you are particularly interested in the Olympics track it is available on the official 2 CD album Isles of Wonder: Music For The Opening Ceremony Of The London 2012 Olympic Games which can currently be snagged for peanuts on well known auction sites. So that's all good, then... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Excellent news, I'm all over this one!

19. Percy Song

It's a shame that there won't be an official release this time around for the first live performance at QEH on 25 June, 1973. I know it's a bit of a mess and MO hated it, but it is historic:-

[​IMG]

20. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Great choice for next round!

21. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member

Pre-ordered with the 2LP version. I've yet to find a vinyl version of Tubular Bells I am truly happy with but I will take a chance with this release.

22. Percy Song

Added to my main rig today in anticipation of the SDE Blu-Rays of Time Out Of Mind and Tubular Bells

[​IMG]

Yes! If Ommadawn is released in a 50th Anniversary Edition in a couple of years time I don't think my legs will ever dry.

23. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

I so enjoyed this post. Thank you for the laughs and shared Ommadawn love.

supermd, Percy Song and MrJerry1876 like this.
  24. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I completely do not need this. I have the original album, the orchestral version, the Exposed version, the 2003 version, the deluxe version with its perfectly adequate surround sound, plus two or three live versions. And TB isn't even in my top five Oldfield albums. I cannot in any way justify having preordered this damned thing. :help:

MrCJF, quicksrt, pscreed and 11 others like this.
  25. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means, but I've found that I like the mid-70s US reissue (PZ 34116 distributed by CBS Records) more than the original US issue (VR 13-105 distr. by Atlantic).

zardozislove likes this.