Miles Davis - The Definitive Bootleg Series Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

A composer could block a release on DVD (or any video format) but could not block an audio only release of a composition that has already been commercially released. All you have to do is pay the composer the standard royalty on each copy sold.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Both the Stockholm and the Paris releases are official, not gray market. . . I doubt they would duplicate those. Great music!

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, I see on Bootleg 1 they played "Walkin" in one show presented on CD and one on DVD, and the song is included in the CD but left off the DVD.

4. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Which ones are the official releases? I couldn't find the info by searching. And is the sound decent (i.e. best source, no weird EQing, no NR)?... Thanks.

5. Lonson

The Stockholm sets from Dragon, and then later DIW, are great aounding from the radio broadcast tapes, and are fully legitimate. Also the Paris material on Trema/Sony (and I think on Delta/Laserlight from Germany) are perfectly legitimate and sound is great, from source tapes.

The Paris is hard to find these days. The Stockholm shouldn't be.

6. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

The Paris is really hard to find, and comes with a big price tag IF you find it.

And even though Paris and Stockholm 1960 may have been issued legit in Europe, that doesn't disqualify them from reissue in the "bootleg" series, IMHO...it's just semantics.

7. Lonson

I agree it's just semantics, but I think they may (rigthly in may instances) think that the Stockholm material has been pretty heavily bought and digested. I really doubt they would include those in this series. Been out over 15 years. I would not be disappointed if they did.

8. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Screenshot

Does anyone have a screen shot of the Trema release, so I know what I'm looking for. I can't believe I've missed this one....

Thanks,
    d

9. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I doubt this, the 1967 shows were also out there for years in bootleg CD and tape and video trades.

11. Lonson

But those were all bootlegs! These were out there officially and many copies sold.

If you want it I'll hope for it with you, but I'll be very surprised.

12. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Except for professionally recorded Columbia material, I don't see the point with those kind of releases. If Columbia didn't record it and don't have access to the original tapes, why buy their releases. Better idea to make a donation to the MD estate, but they don't appear to be short of cash.

13. Lonson

Columbia DID have access to the source tapes for Vol. 1. I'd wager they don't release material that doesn't sound great and likely they won't release anything they don't have the ability to master from the source tapes.

I don't particularly care if Columbia recorded it themselves. I want to hear these Miles Davis bands live over the years, and I'll spring for any volumes released with great sound. And I have very divided feelings about having "free" versions, and the negative feelings I have about it make me wish for official versions to purchase.

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Some older stuff would be nice. I have had enough of the late 60s/70s stuff, a lot of which I find boring.

15. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Part 1:

[​IMG]

Part 2:

[​IMG]

Truly historic music--if you find em, do not hesitate....

16. Lonson

I keep thinking about '73 as the next likely. The Montreux show is now out on DVD, so that's an easy prep, and long enough to barely be a disc of its own. If there are some professionally recorded concerts from this tour, that would make a really nice package.

Known appearances on that tour:
    July 6: Temple of Jupiter, Baalbeck
    July 8: Montreux Jazz Festival
    July 10: Rainbow Theatre, London
    July 11: Olympia Theatre, Paris
    July 16: Parco delle Naiadi, Pescara
    July 17: Teatro Romano, Verona
    July 20: La Pinède, Juan-les-Pins

17. ATR

ATR Senior Member

There is a well known website that lists the vast majority of bootlegged Miles Davis recordings in circulation, complete with cover shots. But since discussion of bootlegs is prohibited here, I can't reveal the name. ;)

18. Lonson

Yes, I think many of us here owe Pete Losin a big carload of gratitude.:whistle:

ribonucleic likes this.
  19. TWZ

TWZ Forum Resident

I think my #1 wish would be a Europe 1960 set covering the Coltrane and Stitt tours.

How about a Kix 1981 set?

20. Lonson

Personally, 1981 would be low on the totem pole for me.

Interesting to see so much interest in 1960. Happy to see it. I've known the material for many years so it doesn't hold as much attraction as basis of a set for me I guess.

A dream set for me would include unedited all the music that was the source for "Miles Davis at Fillmore" . . . with or without a video performance.

21. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I'm sure there's a lot more than that, I have soundboards from:

New York City 1-12-73 (Prince of Darkness VCD, A to A+)
    Shinjuku, Tokyo 6-20-73 (A-)
    Olympia, Paris 7-11-73 (Paris Jazz Concert CD, A to A+)
    Belgrade, Yugoslavia 11-7-73 (Another Bithes Brew CD, A+)

I've also seen that Rainbow Theatre, London one...

22. Lonson

There I was only listing the dates from the European tour of July '73. Yes, there were other 1973 dates, but that wasn't the point of my listing (which came from Pete Losin's sessionagraphy. I've never seen any other July European dates, that was what I was saying by "known." I guess I wasn't clear. (And yes, the London Rainbow Theatre date is on the list I provided; I've only ever seen boots of London, Paris, Verona and Pescara.)

23. evilcat

evilcat Funkier Than A Mosquito's Tweeter

My copy is 2 jewel cases in a card slipcase with this cover:

[​IMG]

I bought it about 8 or 9 years ago in a high street branch of HMV. It was about £8. Great value.

24. evilcat

evilcat Funkier Than A Mosquito's Tweeter

Several 1973 dates have been broadcast digitally around the world in the last 6 months. It's great to see these shows in DVD quality, and I wonder if this might indicate an official DVD release?

25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

There is so much Bitches Brew-era live material and so many official 70s double live albums out there already that I don't really need feel the need for much more of that. I'd like to see the Coltrane shows from 1960 be the next release - I used to have a Euro CD set of them, but lost it somewhere along the way, and then I'd like to see as much 50s and 60s material as possible. The Second Great Quintet stuff we got on this first box was high on my wish list, but I haven't actually gotten around to picking up this first box yet. I will rectify that later this week.