Millennials - Have you experienced this reaction with friends re: Classic Rock? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by human-being, Jul 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I think most of us can understand exactly how you feel. It’s painful when you can’t share your love of music with friends. Thank goodness for this forum. I can’t speak for others, but I was simply trying to relate that I’ve been there. I hope you find someone in your life to have those moments with. I hear ya, someday I hope to have a friend who gives a rat’s ass about Miles Davis/Porgy and Bess or Cibo Matto the way I do.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Tord, SirMarc and angelees like this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I actually installed a Chrome plugin to remove from the suggestions or search results any videos from channels I ban. Every time I see a reaction video, I ban the channel. Amazing how much more relevant my search results are, now.
    You're taking this way too seriously! Not everyone will like or be interested in what you enjoy. That's life. I don't care one little tiny bit about cars, yet so many guys looooove them and could talk for hours about it. They can go on their car forum and shake their hands about how I just don't get it but I'll never change. My indifference shouldn't factor into whether this car enthusiast enjoys the topic, riding, buying/selling, repairing, etc. He shouldn't look down on me and I shouldn't on him.

Different strokes for different folks. Really no big deal whatsoever. Enjoy what you like and leave things be. Meanwhile, connect with other like-minded people who post here and elsewhere or in person if you find events that'll be conducive to bringing in your type of crowd.

I'm not too proud to share in my passion. In fact, I enjoy it but the fact remains that I'm way more likely to bump into an Ariana Grande fan than I am finding a stranger who enjoys Charlie Parker. It doesn't bum me out because I have an outlet ; this and other forums. It was tougher 25 years ago but I still managed by burying myself in the music.

The rest is just white noise, really.

Your mistake is believing that not caring if others prefer something we enjoy equals not wanting to relate or connect. However, you sound quite young and still might believe that you can change people and/or their tastes but the fact is you can't and you won't. So why waste your time? Most people aren't naturally open-minded anyway so unless they *want* to learn more about classic rock (or whatever else), they won't even be receptive to listen to it.

When you drive, you pick the tunes. The end. :)

enro99, nosliw, SirMarc and 3 others like this.
  3. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Look into research on the long term effects
    of consumption of high fructose corn syryp,
    the ingredient that replaced real cane sugar

in most foods decades ago. HFCS is
    actually an
    industrial waste product but the
    food processing industry began using it
    instead of sugar to eliminate the cost of the
    latter. Studies have shown HFCS causes
    brain damage and lowers
    I.Q.. Next time
    you're at the
    grocery store, look at your
    labels - it is in virtually everything. Only
    recently
    have some companies started
    moving away from
    including HFCS, due
    to public awareness, and some even
    advertise the fact that their products do
    not contain HFCS right on the outer
    packaging in conspicuous fashion.

Add that to what has happened to public
    education over the last five decades,
    and one could make a rather strong case
    for your statement there. But all that isn't
    even a scratch on the surface of cultural
    forces shaping society post-Y2K. In the
    next ten years or so, the full
    picture will
    start to become painfully obvious to some,

and oblivious to many. We took the wrong
    step years ago.

And on that note :
    [​IMG]

Gumboo, SirMarc and timind like this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

That sounds awesome! I have no interest in seeing anybody "react" to anything, I'm far too busy watching people actually create things.

Ryan Lux and Strat-Mangler like this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

And about reaction videos, 99% of the time, the person will *love* whatever they're reacting to. Funny how that is, huh? Why is that, I wonder? Because their videos are ad-enabled and the more clicks they get, the more subscribers they get, the more money they get. Who would want to follow or watch multiple videos from someone who reacts negatively to most things? "Uh, what is this crap?"

By creating a blown-away reaction video to whatever, you're guaranteed to generate more views, more repeated views, more additional views of your other content, and conversation in the comments which all equal more clicks, and therefore more revenue.

6. Strat-Mangler

It's called Video Blocker. You right-click on the thumbnail of a video shown in your search results or in the right column under the video you're currently watching and select to block all videos from that channel. I've blocked 26 so far!

Next up... *all* unboxing videos. Boy is that right under reaction videos in terms of waste of bandwith, time, and a general "what does this contribute to the world?" reaction from me. ;)

7. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

This lack of reaction is not limited to your generation. Trust me.

Lots of great stuff that I tried to play for people fell on the proverbial deaf ears!

Grant and angelees like this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Thank you very much. You just made my life that much better.

showtaper, Ryan Lux and Strat-Mangler like this.
  9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

In my opinion this is just as cringeworthy as what you're complaining about.

DesertHermit and Chris DeVoe like this.
  10. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Trying to turn other people on to anything is a recipe for disappointment. Took me years to quit that habit.

zebop, Thorpy, rancher and 1 other person like this.
  11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I’m an older guy and it’s just a fact that most people are going to like the music they come of age to and that they are most exposed to and that their peers like. It’s just an unalterable fact of life.
    This is going to be true of all popular culture and mass entertainment.

That said, there are always going to be young people who want “more” and are willing to explore music of another generation—perhaps sparked by exposure from a parent or uncle or from hearing it in a movie or because a current artist name-checked a classic artist or band.

At the risk of sounding pretentious, I like such people because they remind me of myself when I was younger. Also they are generally the type who respect what came before them and don’t believe that history started the day they were born.

Or the night they first got laid.

But such individuals must come by their willingness to explore music on their own—-no amount of brow-beating or hectoring or telling them that their generation ‘s music sucks is going to spark that interest.
    It would be counterproductive— and you will be called an old fart....

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

It depends on the circumstance. My YouTube channel is filled with hundreds and hundreds videos of people under 18 years old playing mostly classic rock. Most of these kids were introduced to this music by their teachers, every one of them is a working musician, and by definition a "cool" older person.

Also, this thread is the antithesis of everything I've seen actually happening. Young people have virtually every piece of music ever recorded instantly available to them at any hour of the day or night. I know plenty of kids who love music that was popular in their grandparents day, as well as current stuff.

JoeF. likes this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

It can be done. I was hanging with a guitarist friend, and we were talking about The Wrecking Crew, and I mentioned a particular piece of Glen Campbell's guitar playing but I discovered here on this forum. I sent it to him:

[​IMG]

Here's the song:

Tord and George Blair like this.
  14. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident

You provided a lot of context in your follow-up post that didn't come across as clearly in the original post. The first post came across as you wanting to push your music on others (hence the reaction you got), but the follow-up post clarifies that you feel judged because of your musical tastes. That's understandable.

In my generation, the 80s, plenty of people in my school were listening to classic rock from the late 60s to mid 70s (Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, etc.). This was when MTV was all music videos, and when singers and bands ranging from Michael Jackson to Motley Crue were changing the world (at least from the teenage perspective). I don't remember anybody being into music farther back than the late 60s. Had there been somebody who was all about Elvis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, etc., that person would have dismissed as odd and suspected of being pretentious. That's a shame, because none of this would exist without those 50's rockers. The same is of course true of classic rock. But people like what they like. As I said in my first reply, some people might eventually gain an appreciation for it.

I doubt you're the only person in your school or area who is into classic rock. Make friends with those people. You'd probably make yourself approachable to other classic rock fans if you sometimes wore something like a Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd T-shirt. I've seen them in a few well-known pop-culture stores in malls (I'm in the US), so I assume it wouldn't be that unfashionable to wear one.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  15. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I have two kind of friends, my artist friends who are all about Miles Davis, 69 to 73 period, some alternative groups but not all. Velvet Underground Bob Dylan, John and Yoko solo stuff, foreign movies with subtitles, NY Times. Then I have my everyday people friends, top 40 hits from mostly the past or the heavy commercial groups, Journey, Rush, Zep, Sabbath, classic rock stuff. I'm way off on another planet, because of my record collecting habits I listen to all kinds of music, jazz, blues, R&B funk, punk, obscure rock bands. I do like all the stuff that I mentioned at the top of my post but I'm not stuck on it.
    I never push my stuff on anyone. I learned my lesson a long time ago.

enro99 likes this.
  16. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I'm 22, zero people enjoy 95% of the music I listen to and that's okay. I also have about four friends in real life. I'm a world apart from these people in a ton of ways, I'm weird. That friend.

I can listen to 80s Genesis with one of my good friends, or maybe he can turn me on to some old school hip hop - I don't have the expectation for all my friends to see how amazing Nursery Cryme is, because that's flat out not happening.

DiabloG, Grant, Mirror Image and 2 others like this.
  17. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

This thread...yikes!

Kinda cry-babyish

18. Chris DeVoe

But you can't really count on that. There are a lot of people out there apparently wearing classic rock t-shirts just because they like the logo design. I'm perfectly confident there are ten times as many people wearing Misfits and Ramones shirts as own Misfits or Ramones albums.

showtaper and Mirror Image like this.
  19. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Bingo. I'm also certain that Unknown Pleasures t-shirts outnumber actual copies of the album by about 4 to 1.

Blank Frank and Chris DeVoe like this.
  20. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Surely not everyone wearing The Rolling Stones lips is a RS fan. I’ll admit that annoys me.

Rockinrob and Chris DeVoe like this.
  21. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

You can see that reaction with people in their 30s, 40s, 60s etc

22. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Maybe you're right, but how many of those acts in the 1980s, sans Sinatra, operated on the same level that your McCartney's or Rolling Stones' or Who's or Robert Plant's or John Fogerty's or Stevie Wonder's do today in 2019, 50+ years into their careers. Those artists are still huge concert draws and do get some interest drummed up when they make new music. There's still a crowd for them and they do have fans who weren't born in their heyday. Hell, I am 39 and saw Paul last month, I'm not an uber-Beatles stan (though I own all the albums) but yet I just had to go see him, and I saw a lot of people in their 20s, 30s and 40s who weren't around during The Beatles who were at the concert

23. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

This actually reminded me of something: one time I saw someone wearing a Pink Floyd shirt (might have a Wish You Were Here design) and I walked up to them and asked them “So you’re a Pink Floyd fan?” He said “YES! I own and love all of their albums.” I asked “Really? So what did you think of Animals?” He looked at me like I had three heads and said “Animals? I never heard that one,” in which I proceeded to look back at him like he had three heads...

timind likes this.
  24. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

This video affirms my long held opinion that so-called classic rock bands are easily forgettable and have next to no relevance in modern culture. I'm not saying this to be mean-spirited or to offend, but it's absolutely true! I live with and know many millennials, and can attest to their indifference and lack of knowledge regarding classic rock. It is what it is. Yes, even The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and The Rolling Stones will be a distant memory when boomers finally die off, and already are for the vast majority of young people. Time marches on...

ndoheny and Chris DeVoe like this.

25. The economy of scale tended to favor multiple nights or weeks at various levels of 800 -2500 seater clubs, many times ringing the same urban area across a month or so a much more intimate situation. Other than the Stones, not many bands at that same time (80s) were doing stadiums, most were still arenas. The nostalgia train was just getting started, and it was only then into its second generation of a rock/pop savvy audience (boomers and Xers) now there are 4 possible rock savvy generations, it's a numbers game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.