Million-Dollar Home Video Collection

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yea I'll give him a buck each for the BDs and a quarter for each DVDs...that's the going rate for buy backs if you're lucky...they are mostly worthless these days...this collection is for a lazy millionaire...

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

My quote made better sense, and more interesting.

4. This is the first thing that came to my mind after reading the opening post.
    $52 average cost for the entire collection is quite high by my standards.
    Now, if he were to throw in those OSB shelves I may be persuaded.

Garage sale CD's. movies and DVD are usually between $1 and $5.
    $5 x 19,036 = $95,180. Double that and you get $190,360.
    Now, lets just go buy what we can at new prices...say and average of $25 each just for fun. Well that still only equals $475,900.

With my extra $524,100 I guess I can get a somewhat nice home theater set up to go with my new collection I will be watching.

While I think his price is outlandish, I can't fault a guy for trying.
    Imagine if he gets $200,000 for the collection?

alexpop likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I think delusional is a better word.

6. alexpop

Looks a bit dank his storage system.
    Smoker ?
    Guess you could eliminate some smell with new amarays. Lighter fuel to clean discs.

7. The claim by this collector is wrong from the get-go. He definitely doesn't have the world's largest home video collection...:whistle:

It's hard pegging a value on the collection without knowing the DVD/Blu-ray breakdown. Outside of rare DVDs that have gone out of print and still command real money, the format is worth very little these days on the secondary market. You'd be lucky to get rid of 80% of them at anything over a $1/disc en total.

8. alexpop

Thought folk just preferred Netflix streaming these days. Dude should have sold the lot 5 years ago. What's he going to do with the money ( assuming ) he gets it ?

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I think at my peak, I had maybe 2000 Betamax tapes, a couple of thousand S-VHS tapes, at least 4000 Laserdiscs, around 3000 DVDs, and maybe 2000 Blu-rays. At the moment, only the DVDs and Blu-rays remain, and anything valuable among the tapes was digitized to hard drive (with 2 sets of backups). We're in the process of ripping all the discs just because they're easier to watch that way, plus 5000 discs are easier to watch from a single 10TB drive than they are from 5000 discs.

And BTW: I knew of collectors in LA who put me to shame. At least one guy I know claimed to have every Laserdisc ever pressed, at least up until 1995 or so. I think he had somewhere north of 10,000-12,000 Laserdiscs. (He worked for a time at the Pioneer Carson plant, so he got a deal where he could buy any title for about five bucks.)

Ultimately, though I came to the conclusion more than ten years ago that the physical format doesn't matter. The only thing I care about is the music, the TV show itself, and the movie itself. I don't care how it plays back as long as it looks and sounds good. But I get that there are films, shows, and albums released on physical media that will never be able via streaming (for a variety of reasons), so some physical media has value.

wayneklein, forthlin and budwhite like this.
  10. alexpop

Folks were lucky they made a buck ( more) when they traded in their VHS colllection 20 years ago. DVDs ?up till 2013 I was getting a fair deal in titles. Blu Ray trade unless " new current " don't expect to get much unless steelbook (but has to be iconic title ).

wayneklein likes this.
  11. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Trade stores and garage sales...collector's don't use that crap to guage worth. They use it to dump their refuse...if that.

12. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Fascinating stuff. If the guy really wants to make money, he should lock that room up and let it sit for 20 years. Now is not the time to try and make a killing on the DVD market and in any collection like that, you're lucky if 20% of it holds any value. The DVD collectors market is such a wacky place also with rarity trumping quality and people asking top dollar for unwatchable crap just because of it's scarcity. It's hard to know what will actually increase in value anymore.

What compels someone to do something like that? Putting together a collection like that must have cost a fortune and any one section of those shelves would take a lifetime to watch. I also noticed a large portion of his collection is still shrink wrapped. At some point, if you're not even watching the movies, I would think it just becomes hoarding. At least I don't feel so bad about my own 500+ collection now - I've watched every damn one of them at least once. I sure wish I had that kind of space though.

genesim likes this.
  13. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

So true. Even the used dvd stores often sell the good/rare stuff online and stock the shelves with the mass produced stuff. Very common these days.

genesim likes this.
  14. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

He won't. Why would you think he gets $10 for each disc?

15. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Buy more Blu-rays/DVDs of course ;)

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

Fault the guy "
    Gives false hope to our collections lol.

17. He probably will not even get $1 for each item. That is not my point.
    Suppose he shot for the moon at $1,000,000...a worthy effort and he can not be faulted for trying.

Now imagine someone made an honest, low ball, offer at $200,000.
    That is 80% less than his original asking price...a substantial reduction by most accounts.

Imagine him getting $200K? One may find his tactic genius at that point.

He has a HUGE collection by most measurements. He began by asking a HUGE price for the entire collection.
    Where he ends up is anyone's guess, but he had to start somewhere.
    There is no harm in him asking the moon as a first attempt.

18. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Who, in their right mind, would buy this for $200,000 thinking they got a bargain. They could buy a house with that! What he should do is put them up for $1 (total) and see where the bids go to. That's better publicity,

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  19. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Showgirls on Blu-Ray? Sold!

TeacFan and clhboa like this.
  20. How?
    I play the collector car game. It is my first passion in hobby's.
    I see vehicles selling for MUCH more than their value on regular occasion.

The reason said vehicle sells so high makes no sense from a financial viewpoint.
    That non-financial viewpoint is what you must account for when looking at sold prices.
    The value of this particular collection will be personal to each and every prospective buyer.
    Why they pay what they do is personal as well.

genesim likes this.
  21. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

200,000 can absolutely be a bargain if it has the right titles. Criterion for example often gets a nice bit of change. I know of some titles that get over a hundred. The Friday the 13th bluray box can get you $300 etc...

What is sad is that people that often critcize have foolishly took their stuff to a trade store out of sheer laziness and decided that the chump change they obviously were going to get actually meant something.

22. Why are you so bent on arguing this offering from your personal value of the material?
    Your value is only relevant to you if you are trying to purchase the collection.
    Your value does not matter to the seller until he decides to alter his asking price.
    Try, real hard, to imagine another person having a different viewpoint, a different value system, a different desire, and maybe...just maybe, if you squint real hard, and think for a while, you may be able to imagine a value other than your own personal viewpoint.

This is the point I am making. A differing value.

He may get nothing for this stuff. He may get $17,874.59. He may get $275,450.
    He is asking $1,000,000 and $200,000 is only 20% of his asking price.

Just imagine if he actually gets $200,000?

Is $200,000 likely for this collection...No. Is $200,000 impossible for this collection...No.

23. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

From what I see $200,000 is very likely with a lot of time and energy.

24. townsend

townsend Senior Member

25. Only 2 Laserdiscs? Hard Pass...

adm62 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.