Mishubishi lt 30

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Romero, Sep 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romero

Romero Forum Resident Thread Starter

any pros out there familiar with the ins and outs of mishubishi LT 30 TT?

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It's hard to impossible to find spare parts for, very complex mechanically and electronically. Not easy to repair or get repaired.

caracallac likes this.
  3. Romero

Thanks for that info, but are you familiar with the features? I have one and got a question about it.

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Barely. I had to do some minor maintenance on one years ago. But it's been a long time. Vinyl Engine does have the manuals for it listed. (you must register to download them, but it is free). They also have the service manual.

5. Romero

k, unless you know a member on here that might be pretty knowledgeable, ill just see if this posts grabs the right persons attention. thanks

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I have the manual in front of me so hopefully I can help you.

7. Romero

I clearly just got it, just finished fixing tracking force, which fixed the issue with skipping, but now the TRACKING ERROR light is on. Not sure what that means or how to fix it. the sound sounds good to me, so cant be a huge deal, but def want to know if its something I need to worry about. thanks

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

If it does it once, or only on one record, I'd not worry about it.

9. timind

timind phorum rezident

My advice is to ask your question over on Audiokarma.org. Although the response may not be as immediate, I bet someone will be able to help. It's been a great source for me.

Romero likes this.
  10. Romero

as I held by breath, I tried a second record and that damn light is still on. turns on when the table to powered on. I know its something tone arm/cart related, because when I demoed it, that light wasn't on at all.

11. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Is that a linear tracking TT?

12. Romero

yes sir it is. just gotta it and making necessary tweaks, but cant figure how to fix this tracking error light

13. Uglyversal

I haven't worked on that particular one but because I know the general way they work my guess is because the belt that moves the arm on the slider is reaching the end of it's life.
    It could also be the motor -that moves the arm- or grease -if any- along the track that is hardening.

My bet is on the belt, it will need to be disassembled, generally not a difficult job but I would not recommend you to do it yourself unless you are mechanically minded. Very likely the light goes on because the arm would be leaning towards the left a lot of the time instead of remaining centered. Depends on how bad this problem is if not repaired it could be bad for your records. There are other possibilities but they are much less likely.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    McLover likes this.
  14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, the belt which moves the tonearm is likely worn and/or stretched enough to cause this. And likely the slider is in need of cleaning and lubrication if called for. Which is not an unusual maintenance item on any servo driven linear tracking tonearm. Including the Mitsubishis.

15. timind

timind phorum rezident

16. Romero

you clearly know you stuff. the only reason I question that, is because I know the TT was not showing that light when I demoed it yesterday. the only difference is I adjusted the tracking force when I got it home because it wasn't weighted enough because it was skipping. and it was also serviced about a year ago with belts, caps, lube the whole 9

17. Uglyversal

Did you actually replaced caps, belt and lube yourself or were you told that?

1)What weight do you have set at the moment and what was it before you've changed it?

2)Have you tried to go back and see if the light switches off.

18. Romero

first, thank you for helping me problem solve, I appreciate it.

1) I have the receipt from the local shop that shows it was done.
    2) I don't remember what weight was previously at, once I adjusted the tracking force that stopped the skipping and sound was good, i havent messed with the Tracking force since, but i guess i can experiment with that more, find a weight that wont skip, it sound good AND not have the tracking error light on.

19. Uglyversal

No problem but there are some issues you need to deal with. You don't set the weight based on if it does or does not skip.

The weight needs to be set according to the cartridge specifications and this is very important because failure to do so will result in long term damage of your records and cartridge.

Generally the weight varies between 1.5 grams to 3 but it depends. You do need to research the cartridge to find out the specs and read the manual of the TT that will explain you how to set the weight correctly, just looking at the numbers is not enough. You could buy a digital scale that makes things easier.

Anything I can tell you by remote is only guess work and I have to assume things at your end are right, the weight isn't right.
    I must know the weight is adjusted correctly for me to give you good advice, otherwise the advice will be wrong.

20. Romero

I didn't set the weight based on if it skips or not, it was based on suggested tracking weight range, the effects of getting that weight right is what fixed the skipping/poor sound issue. after watching a view videos on the TT, it looks like they all have this tracking error light on, so im thinking my problem is over because it may not be a problem.

one more question for ya, just reading about tone arm weight and compliance for the cart to match. what are your thoughts on that? idk what my TT tone arm would be classified as , but I have a AT VM95ML. think that's a good match? thanks

21. MRL_Audio

MRL_Audio Forum Resident

Much of what you ask about is in the users manual. Did you read and use that? I have two of these tables and they really are not sooper hard to work on or make adjustments to.

22. Uglyversal

Sorry I don't quite follow you there:

2) you say the effect of getting the weight right is what fixed the skipping problem, but yet you can't tell what weight you have set it on? If you don't know the weight is set at how can you know it is set right? I don't understand that.

3) It is an old TT, neither Mitsubishi or other brands will sell a product that will constantly show there is an error. ALL the TT's you were looking at are either not adjusted properly by the owners or they have a problem due to their age an need of maintenance or could be both.

Timind in post #15 linked to a restoration of one of these TT I haven't checked myself but probably many answers are there.

MRL_Audio likes this.
  23. MRL_Audio

MRL_Audio Forum Resident

That’s an understatement. Tons of helpful info in that thread

24. Romero

hey, when I first got the TT the tracking force was too light, causing the tracking issue and skipping. Then I adjusted it to be 2.0 tracking force and that fixed it. As far as the tracking error light goes, im not worried about it. im sure it just needs a small adjustment in tracking angle or something. Its been fully restored so I know its gotta do with some minor tweak.

my last question is about a new cart. my tone arm is low mass, so that means I need a high mass , high compliance or both for a good match cartridge?

25. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

For linear trackers, they tend to play any cartridge well, but low=high mass usually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.