Mission: Impossible FALLOUT (2018 Tom Cruise film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I watched my screening in a local mom and pop theater. No previews. Went right into the movie exactly at 1:50 pm. The seats aren't as comfy and the sound system is not quite as good ( although this movie sounded GREAT) but its a trade off to be able to get concessions without morgaging your house and not having to sit through about a half hour plus of commercials and trailers. Went in at 1:45 pm. Was out by 4:15. Three adult tickets and concessions cost me less than 40 dollars.

2. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

This movie is really better in a theater than it could be even on the biggest home TV. It would probably still be pretty good at home, but if any movie was made for the big screen with theater sound, this is the one.

3. i personally hope they never go for laughs or lighten up in a Bond film. Those yuck fests back in the 70s and 80s were terrible

Retropsych, mrjinks, rd1 and 6 others like this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Saw Star Trek: Beyond the other night; hadn't noticed, he got a co-writer's credit for it. Not bad pay for spending months in a red shirt...;)

David Campbell likes this.
  5. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Agreed. I rewatched the Connery & Moore Bonds though a year or two back. The number of times Bond ski jumps through a line of bunting whilst a cartoon ‘ptoing!’ noise plays on the soundtrack......

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Finally saw it tonight and loved it. I think it's a little bit too long, but damn, that's a lotta action packed into one movie. Also more anamorphic lens flares than in any other movie ever made (even including previous J.J. Abrams movies). If there's a movie cut faster than this one, I haven't seen it. The Borne movies seem slow compared to Mission Impossible.

ex_mixer, Simon A and coffeetime like this.
  7. David Campbell

I watched the first MI last night as it's been awhile since I've seen it and two things struck me...

1) Tom Cruise looked like he was about 15 in some shots but he was 34 at the time. He's 56 now and looks like he may be 40 now, confirming my thesis he has probably made a pact with Satan at some point in the past. ;)

2) how slow it felt compared to FALLOUT

...and as you suggested, cutting makes all the difference. Although i liked the various POV sequences and angles in the first one too. FALLOUT is the definition of white knuckle adrenaline rush. I think it's ruined all future straight up Action movies for me.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    mrjinks and coffeetime like this.
  8. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Also watched #1 over the weekend with the family, as my hasn’t seen 1 or 2. Felt very slow and aside from the Channel Tunnel sequence, how much ‘smaller’ and lower key it felt. Aside from Cruise and Rhames presence, you’d never guess this was what would lead to 3, GP, RN & Fallout.

David Campbell likes this.
  9. David Campbell

Also i nearly forgot Pegg wasn't in the first two. He feels like he's been there since the beginning! Simon Pegg makes everything better.

coffeetime likes this.
  10. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Having followed Simon’s career from Spaced, Shaun of the Dead etc, he does bring a ‘geek cool’ to the films, and there’s always a sense of ‘one of us’ up on the screen :righton: A large part of the appeal of the films is the sense of cameraderie the various members of the MI ensemble have with Cruise and each other.

My 11yo asked where Benji was when watching MI1 over the weekend and will doubtless ask again when we do the second film this weekend.

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Newsflash - Vidiot made a typo!

12. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

:eek:

13. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

#1 is more a a drama in comparison, that is why I like it the best. I think it builds more tension and is very well done.

coffeetime likes this.
  14. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

For me, the sense of "a team" accomplishing these mission only came through from the last 3 films (excluding "Fallout" which I haven't seen), when Simon Pegg became a part of the franchise. The addition of Jeremy Renner solidified "the team" (I hope his character returns in the next M:I film)

coffeetime likes this.
  15. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

But something like the beginning of the below clip from "M:I Rogue Nation" provides a good break in the middle of the excitement....

JediJones and David Campbell like this.
  16. Vidiot

[​IMG]

17. Vidiot

I have to say, the first 10 minutes of the film blew my little mind. In a lot of ways, the rest of the film that followed was not quite as good, but damn, it completely recreated the complexities of the original Mission:Impossible series, particularly with the double-crosses and surprise twists. I burst out laughing at the survive reveal right before the titles began -- it was hilarious and very well-done.

ex_mixer likes this.
  18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You have to admit, you hardly ever make a typographical error with a film title or an actor's name. I cannot remember one. Until now.

19. David Campbell

And Simon Pegg really did a bang up impersonation of Wolfe Blitzer!;)

Karnak likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Oh, that's a spoiler.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  21. Vidiot

If it doesn't get flagged by the spell-checker, I'm moving on. I type at about 50 words a minute and read about 1800 wpm, and I don't have the benefit of a proofreader, plus I'm writing for free. You get a first draft for nothin', but it's just being puked out out, just a scattershot being fired from the hip.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

I'm a big fan of the Mission Impossible movies ever since the first one (let's not discuss 2...) and I think Fallout is sensational.

coffeetime likes this.
  23. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I am a Tom Cruise fan and like nearly all his movies especially the Mission Impossibe franchise. However I don’t know why at the same time he is doing the Jack Reacher films where he basically plays the same character in a similar genre.

24. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Jack Reacher doesn't save the world. He's more in the mold of The Equalizer where he tries to help a person who's been wronged. The Reacher films are also more violent. I like all three franchises, warts and all.

25. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

As many have opined, this is a quality franchise with only one film that is not that good (MI2). I hope that Cruise realizes that he can produce the films with a different actor to play Ethan Hunt and still have it continue to be successful, like the James Bond series. It's hard to know when the right time is to walk away and pass the torch. Apparently, we are not there yet, but it's got to be getting close, maybe one more?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.