MM or MC cartridge suggestions, phono preamp suggestions!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Koen V., Sep 25, 2022.

1. Koen V.

Koen V. New Member Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I'm looking to replace my AT VM540ML. The cantilever got bent and I don't trust it on my records anymore.
    Because I was quite pleased with the sound of the VM540ML, I am currently in a delimma. I could just buy a replacement stylus OR I could go for an upgrade. If I have to spend money anyway, I'd like my system to sound better afterwards :)

The cartridge would need to fulfil the following requirements:
    - Low complaince, as the arm of my Marantz 6300 is on the higher spectrum of mass
    - Sound better than my AT VM540ML
    - Doesn't make me poor (Preferably less than € 500 for the cartridge)

What are you suggestions? Both MM and MC suggestions are welcome!

Additional Question: If I decide on a MC cartridge, I would have to buy a phono preamp. I was thinking about the IFI Zen phono preamp because I read a lot of good thinkgs about it. Anyone has any experiences with it? I'm also very much wondering, if the IFI Zen phono preamp would offer me some improvements on MM cartridges over my current Marantz 3200 preamp phono stage?? I can get one half price, but of course it would have to be an improvement over my current gear.

My gear:
    Stanton 681eee cartridge
    Marantz 6300 turntable
    Marantz 3200 preamp
    Marantz 140 amp
    2x Canton 7.2 reference

Thanks to everyone giving suggestions and feedback on the mentioned products!!

2. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

The AT-VM540ML is definitely not a low compliance cart, it's actually on the high side of medium compliance, or low side of high compliance depending on your reference, probably around 23cu based on resonance tests. The later versions of the Stanton cart were in that same compliance range.

bever70 likes this.
  3. Koen V.

Yes, I know. I had the AT-VM540ML before I bought the Marantz 6300 turntable. I never noticed any resonance or other problems with this combination, so I guess I was lucky. However, mutliple people have told me a low compliance cart would be better for my table. As I'm looking to replace the AT, I might as well follow their advice.

The Stanton 681EEE is indeed also a higher compliance cart. This cart came with the turntable when I bought it. Back in the day, Marantz 6300 + Stanton 681EEE was the go-to combination. So the "rule" does seem to have its exceptions. Don't know too much about it though, I was just following other (more experienced than me) people's advice.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    Davey likes this.
  4. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Low compliance low output moving coil:
    Denon DL-103R
    I have one and I love it.
    However, it’s a conical, so you need to be a bit more forgiving to its IGD.
    But the soundstage is amazing.
    Neutral sounding.
    But if you want an upgrade with a ML or similar, you have to spend more than 500 bucks..

VintageVibe likes this.
  5. NielsSS

NielsSS Forum Resident

If you want to try a MC a Denon DL 103 would be an good place to start. It sounds great mainly with rock music, but it can handle all types of music. But you will need a step-up if your preamps phonoinput is MM-only

6. Davey

Yea, now I remember your thread on this from last month, probably should've just bumped it, but doesn't really matter, not that much going on ... Help with cartridge for Marantz 6300

Tables with relatively heavy arms like the 6300 always had some problems with many of the popular MM cartridges back in the day, especially as the audio world moved toward ported speakers, the cartridges needed to be high compliance for the best tracking, so that lead to the era of light weight tonearms, and also to the emergence of low compliance MC carts to work well on the better high mass arms.

In any case, most tonearms are in the low medium range now, and so most carts are in that range too, even some of the popular MC carts, though of course there are exceptions. The Nagaoka carts below the MP-500 aren't very high compliance, and some of the Goldring carts are in that mid range too, the Goldring G1042 is a popular choice with advanced stylus shape. The Ortofon MC-20 was reintroduced in modern times and is in the 15cu range, similar to the Benz Micro LOMC carts, and uses a fairly advanced Fritz Gyger tip. The MC-20 Super can still be had from Thakker.eu, though it is listed now at €649.00, so a bit over budget. I'm a big fan of the AT-OC9XML LOMC cart, it's been my daily driver for a couple years or so now, and can be had for around €500 from Thakker, but the compliance is fairly high, a bit more than the VM540ML. Really nice cart, but probably not a good choice for your table.

7. Koen V.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    That was indeed my thread :) It didn't get that much response and after a while I decided to save up some extra money and hold off on any decisions.

After reading up on your suggestions, the Goldring G1042 and the Benz Micro MC Gold sound like great contenders to me! Now the question is: MM or MC?
    Would a phono preamp like the IFI Zen Phono do the Benz Micro MC Gold justice? And would it be good enough if I were to buy an even better MC cartridge down the road?
    Or should I get the Goldring G1042 now, and save up for a better phono preamp that could potentially serve me a lot longer?

Thanks!

8. jeffrey75

jeffrey75 Forum Resident

I did a quick search and came up up with effective mass of 28g for tonearm with factory headshell so a Denon 103 should really be on your radar. I am not sure of weight for factory headshell, guessing 12g, if you can find a vintage Suprex headshell they weigh around 6g with the finger lift attached this can get you down to a effective mass 22g which will open up your selection quite a bit. Not sure why TT came with a Stanton 681, Stanton product catalog has dynamic compliance listed at 25 x 10-6cm/Dyne or Vinylengine has it at 20 x 10-6cm/Dyne that means the resonating frequency is 5Hz to7Hz.

bever70 likes this.
  9. Davey

In the other thread he measured around 13.5g for the headshell.

10. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Yup, Denon 103 or 103R. :thumbsup:

bever70 and jusbe like this.
  11. Koen V.

Thanks guys, I'll take the suggestions in consideration and update when I pull the trigger!

Any suggestions on phono stage though? I have only used my Marantz 3200 phono stage up until now, so I have no idea what impact it will have and what the difference between a budget and more advanced one is.

12. Koen V.

Also, the difference beyween 103 and 103R don't seem to be very big, with the 103R sounding slighty better than the 103. Any experiences with both of them?

Also, am I correct to believe the 103R might need a slighty better phono stage because of the lower output? Or are those things not connected?

13. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have

My best suggestion for a very nice quality/cost ratio, Rothwell Rialto (cost me 450€ )
    Rialto mm/mc phonostage

Not many options for "tailoring" to the cart, in my own use that is fine with many carts, MM or MC.
    only needing to open the unit (four screws) to change between MM/MC, not a big deal.

14. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Be aware that a Denon 103 sounds different from an AT vm540ml! I have both, and I prefer my Denons (103 and 110) by far over the AT but it might be different for you...

Oelewapper likes this.
  15. Koen V.

True, I'm always open to try something different. If it's not my thing, I'll live with it for a short while and five myself a new one flr christmas ;-) What phono pre-amp do you use with it?

bever70 likes this.
  16. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

You have to go with a moving coil. There are no low compliance new MM cartridges of quality made.

17. Koen V.

I'm quite certain I will choose a MC. I've done a lot of research the last couple of days and also most suggestions point towards MC. Before I make my final decision though, I'm trying to find out what phono preamp I should take. For example, I dont know how much of a difference a € 200 vs a € 400 phono preamp would make.. And what phono preamp would give me the full benefit of a MC cart.

18. Rob Clarke

Rob Clarke Forum Resident

The Rega Aria is a great phono stage that does mm and mc the new version is about £1,000 but older versions may be available much cheaper.

Mr. Dean likes this.
  19. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have

@Koen V.
    you have a good read here (under 1000 though)
    What's Your Favorite Under $1000 Phono Preamp?

don't forget the SUT route ...to use your present phono stage with MC cart.
    Even Rothwell (in Realto recommendation) advices using SUT when possible with MM input on the MM/MC Rialto.

20. Koen V.

Thanks I'll go through the thread, although € 1000 would be over budget for me. I'm looking at Pro-ject phono box S3 B. Any experiences?

21. bever70

Previously an Arcam Rphono, now an Elac PP2.
    You also asked about project phono stages. I sold the 2 I had/tried (Tube box S2, and Phono box DS+).

22. Koen V.

Not impressed with the Project models I assume? I'll keep searching for an affordable one with good reviews! Maybe I'll go for the cheaper IFI zen phono for now. It will get me going again since I uninstalled my VM540ML cart. Want to get a MC and phono stage asap and guess I'll invest in a more expensive phono stage in the future

23. bever70

My Pro-ject phono box DS+ is still up for sale. Shipping would be cheap since we're living in the same country ;). Send me a pm if you're interested.

24. Koen V.

Check PM ;-)

bever70 likes this.