Mo-Fi inner sleeves but what to do with the cardboard inner sleeve?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HankM, Apr 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HankM

HankM Senior Member Thread Starter

I replace most of my LP sleeves with Mobile Fidelity inner sleeves, especially used records that have original paper inner sleeves that are worn. I usually place the original sleeve inside the jacket next to the replacement sleeve with record. What about new vinyl, the ones that seem to come with glossy artwork/lyrics on thick cardboard that could/can scratch the vinyl? Roger Waters The Wall Live comes to mind because its very thick to have the Mo-Fi sleeve inside the jacket as well as the cardboard sleeves. Just wondering what the general consensus was. Some of those new cardboard sleeves are pretty neat in their artwork.

2. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

These might help:

[​IMG]

They always fit into thicker cardboard inner sleeves.

HankM and JasonA like this.
  3. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

If the original inner is too thick to fit in with the record in the Mofi sleeve, I'll keep the record/Mofi inside like normal and store the original inner behind the outside of the jacket, in the outer sleeve. If it's a gatefold jacket, I'll keep the original inner(s) in the center of the gatefold.

4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Those stupid folded cardboard sleeves are a pia

5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

If MoFi sleeves don't work, I use the round bottom ones suggested previously as liners. I prefer the rice paper sleeves but they don't always work.

HankM likes this.
  6. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I can always get the thicker sleeves in the jacket along with the record in a MOFI sleeve. There are some records where I can get the MOFI sleeve inside of the thicker sleeve the record came in. That's nice when it works.

HankM and zombiemodernist like this.
  7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I handle it a few different ways, depending on whether the jacket is single or gatefold and how many LPs are involved.

A single LP with a gatefold is easy, as I just keep the original sleeve in the jacket as normal, put the jacket in an outer sleeve with the opening facing up (I use sleeves with resealable flaps), then put the MoFi-sleeved record in the center of the gatefold, with the opening facing the spine.

Double gatefold LPs can be done the same way if the middle of the gatefold has enough space for both LPs, but otherwise I’ll put the outer sleeve with the opening facing the jacket openings, keep the art sleeve in the center of the gatefold, and keep the MoFi-sleeved LPs in their normal jacket locations.

Single LP, single jacket, I don’t know if I’ve run into any not fitting, but I would opt for MoFi-sleeved LP inside the jacket, outer sleeve with opening facing the jacket opening, art sleeve outside the jacket against the back cover. That’s a last resort for me, because I’d prefer to see the back cover from outside the outer sleeve without having to touch anything inside. It’s probably better than over-stuffing the jacket and splitting the seams, though.

HankM likes this.
  8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’ve done that, but I don’t like it. Adds a step to getting the record out, and forces me to risk fingerprinting the original sleeve (yes, I keep very clean hands, but there are always oils). If you don’t mind that, it’s probably the best protection, though.

9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I forgot one scenario: the single-opening jacket with 2 LPs. Which, first of all, is a crime against humanity. It can’t cost that much more to make a gatefold...

However, those can get tricky, but I would say treat the same way as my single LP, single jacket method, realizing you are probably going to have the original sleeves behind the jacket. Though, I am pretty sure I have some of these that miraculously can fit everything in... if I can fit it all in there, I like to keep at least one of the original sleeves between the LPs to pad them from each other.

JasonA and zombiemodernist like this.
  10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I will also admit I only keep original sleeves that have anything printed on them. Generic paper sleeves usually get tossed to save the space.

11. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

Yep, me too. If it happens to be an inner worth keeping, I can usually fit the record in a MOFI into the original inner.

Big Blue likes this.
  12. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

So am i the only one that puts the album in a poly outer and keeps the LP in a MoFi sleeve outside the jacket? I also toss the plain paper inners. On old records, i did tend to keep the printed inners that had promos from the record companies. Like a little time capsule.

13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I tried it and didn’t like it. It just feels better to me for there to be some cardboard on both sides of the LP.

14. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

easy solution for me, I (a) always use mofi inner sleeves and (b) for most of my albums, I use the album cover sleeves and the albums themselves obviously go in a mofi and are placed outside the cover, inside the cover sleeve, so I can keep the original inner sleeves, if they're worth keeping, inside the album itself. No worries with this method.

BayouTiger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.