Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

I've seen your videos. You're clearly proud of what you own.

2. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

Mazzy, agree 100%. On the emotional duress, key word emotional. When they get past the duress, then what? I think a portion of them will wish they had waited on dumping "DSD" tripped emotional albums. If they are searching for the best sounding pressing and let's say it's Blood on the Tracks One Step ( my only One-Step). What now? Do you wait for someone else to do a new Master , or do you accept a 2nd or 3rd rated master and call it good?

Wigdoor, mpayan and Mazzy like this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Ah, the ol' "its OK because others are doing it too" defense. Can't say I agree with that line of thinking.

4. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

Actually, having done some googling on this issue, it seems there isn’t consensus and the newer version having more deadwax may not be a bad thing after all. It doesn’t seem that the difference is related to the digital step.

5. may1620

may1620 Forum Resident

It stands to reason, logically and physically speaking, that more deadwax (on the same LP side, same songs time MM:SS) must mean lesser width of the music portion, and thus more closely packed grooves. The number of grooves will be constant, based on the rpm and time of side's recordings. Does the tightness of grooves matter, for things like pre-echo (is that the right term) or other bleeding between grooves? Does it effect the optimal stylus width? I don't know. But less width means tighter grooves. Get Happy! 1980.

highfell likes this.
  6. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Seems like we have a few members here who are totally in agreement with the following:
    A) If it has been marketed and that marketing is deceptive, it’s ok, so long as the company has not been caught.
    B) If there are multiple offenses of the same kind, IOW others are doing it too, then that makes it acceptable.
    C) If a copyrighted or trademarked term is used in a duplicitous and/or false manner, that’s ok because the holder of that trademark or copyright has the right to act in any way they so desire..with no consequences for their actions.
    D) The ends always justify the means.

interesting group..

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  7. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

Hall and Oates - Rock 'n Soul Part 1
    • "Say It Isn't So," "Adult Education," "Maneater," "One on One," "Wait for Me": 1/2" / 30 IPS analog master to DSD 64 to analog console to lathe
    • "Sara Smile," "Kiss on My List," "You Make My Dreams": 1/4" / 15 IPS / Dolby A analog master to DSD 64 to analog console to lathe
    • "She's Gone": 1/2" / 30 IPS analog copy to DSD 64 to analog console to lathe
    • "Rich Girl": 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 64 to analog console to lathe
    • "Private Eyes," "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)": 1/2" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 64 to analog console to lathe

8. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Bill Withers - Bill Withers' Greatest Hits
    • "Just the Two of Us," "Soul Shadows" - 1/4" / 15 IPS / Dolby A analog copy to DSD 64 to analog console to lathe
    • "Use Me," "Lean on Me": 1/4" / 15 IPS analog copy to DSD 64 to analog console to lathe
    • "Ain't No Sunshine," "Grandma's Hands": 1/4" / 15 IPS analog master to DSD 64 to analog console to lathe
    • "Lovely Day," "I Want to Spend the Night," "Hello Like Before": 1/4" / 15 IPS / Dolby A analog master to DSD 64 to analog console to lathe
    • "Who Is He (And What Is He to You)?": 1/4" / 15 IPS analog copy to DSD 64 to analog console to lathe

9. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Wrong on all counts.

folkfreak likes this.
  10. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Right on all counts.

BuyMeVinyl, hi_watt, DaveyF and 2 others like this.
  11. Uglyversal

As I have said, there is no guarantee that my comments may apply. There are advantages in avoiding getting near the center of the disc. Those advantages are limiting inner groove distortion and staying in an area where the radial speed is high and does not affect frequency response badly.
    Whether there is consensus or not, I have been observing the dead wax space for years. My experience is that records with a wide dead wax -almost always new reissues- lack dynamic range, negating any advantages provided by avoiding the center. The problem is often associated with a severe lack of high end, perhaps inferior digital masters ?
    In short, 33RPM records with large dead wax are bad news, 12" 45's tend to contain only a couple of tracks so in that case you have to listen to the record to know. At least for me 45 are generally not a problem.

12. Uglyversal

Please also read my post above for where I address the distortion and a couple of other issues.

The cutting is decided by the engineer based on the material they have. If more space than necessary is taken then it means there would be a huge separation between groove lines or the volume would be so high that no cartridge could track the record. I have over 2000 records and I have handle plenty more, I haven't yet seen any record that fit that description.
    Something I have not mentioned but that is a very bad point of completely full records is when you talk compilations, often 20 tracks or thereabout. I can almost guarantee that the sound is going to be terribly compressed and there'll be no bass.

13. Apprentice
    Actually I was not defending MoFi by referring to other labels hype sticker labeling. Almost all of these labels are confusing and rarely accurate. And today I learned that the Impex Saturday Night in San Francisco Guitar album is digital (Friday Night was analog). Apparently they say this on their website so maybe I was mistaking thinking it was all analog??

mikeyt and Curiosity like this.
  14. Uglyversal

I am so glad I didn't buy that one. The Japanese issue is quite good, I wonder how an early original US and UK compare.

15. Or simply go with the original which sounds really good.

JFSebastion and mpayan like this.
  16. I think you are misrepresenting those of us who like a lot of their results. The actual sound of these records. We are not defending them, but we have decided not to toss our collections out and hate something we liked prior to the revelation.

sennj, SAMAUL, DIYmusic and 11 others like this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

An unfortunately accurate compilation of the points repeatedly written by some in the last few pages.

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Interesting video that I thought some might enjoy watching, especially the part @0:53:39.

Which is a test concerning DSD and an analogue mastertape source. This included participants Dr David Robinson (the guy in the video being interviewed who is an expert on DSD), Michael Bishop and our own Chad Kassem (yes that Chad Kassem)

The test was to have them identify the mastertape.

I found the results to be interesting.

Good video all around imo, but the pertinent part is @ 0:53:39 if you dont want to take the time to watch the entirety.

KariK, brimuchmuze, mikeyt and 2 others like this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

It's actually pretty accurate. I also am not burning the MFSL digi-vinyl records I already own but I still disagree with all 4 of the conclusions being repeated in the last few pages that DaveyF enumerated.

DaveyF likes this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

I'm hoping we'll get the rest of the songs' sourcing info as well.

21. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

I'm a bit confused : all the songs are there, so... ? :wtf:

4-2-7 likes this.
  22. Suddenly This Overview

Suddenly This Overview Forum Resident

Thanks for explaining further. Appreciate the insight.

Uglyversal likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Oops! I stopped reading after the first title. That's what I get for skimming.

I deserve one of these. :doh:

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

So predictable.

25. Uglyversal

I don't get this, there are only 5 tracks posted for Hall and Oates, there are more, aren't there?:confused: