Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Iving

Iving 'Neath Kishmul's walls

brimuchmuze likes this.
  2. MarcTheMusician

MarcTheMusician Forum Heretic and Beatle Lover

Just posting an update a long time coming. I finally got the MoFi Thriller record.

I can confidently say in my opinion, this is the finest this record has ever sounded. It was expensive, but I can actually enjoy the sound of the album without crushed up compression. It sounds killer.

folkfreak, Curiosity and jimhb like this.
  3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Weird, since the Mofi is actually more compressed than the original. Confirmed also by spectral analysis.

4. Nothinbuttrouble

Nothinbuttrouble Well-Known Member

Actually not an entirely badly designed test. But so much wasted effort. It would be extremely easy to set up a better test. Just do an ABX test using an analog tape deck, split the signal. Make A a straight feed from the tape deck and run B through a DSD ADC/DAC with no audible latency. What could be simpler? What could be more on point in addressing the audiblity of a DSD stage applied to the signal off of an analog tape?

shirleyujest, Kyhl and mpayan like this.
  5. MarcTheMusician

It may be, but it sounds good to me. In the end, that's what matters!

mpayan and Nothinbuttrouble like this.
  6. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

Yes but well done compression is an art form (i.e. LZ2 RL….)

MarcTheMusician and mpayan like this.
  7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Just surprising it is more compressed. I find that weird. Doesnt ruin the experience, but has me scratching my head as to why

8. MarcTheMusician

Well, I should note that I never had an og vinyl pressing to compare it to. I grew up with the remasters on CD which were compressed to hell. Compared to those, the mofi is like a breath of fresh air.

My main reason for buying the disc was a listenable, quality disc, and I'm happy with the result. As with anything in life, ymmv.

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Gear profile, dude, or it didn’t happen.

10. MarcTheMusician

If you say otherwise, I'd be willing to defer to your opinion. You'd know better than me!

Btw my gear is crap. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  11. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

He’s telling you to fill out the gear in your profile. It’s one of the rules of the board if you want to discuss the sound quality of something.

12. MarcTheMusician

Thanks for the tip!

13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Haha was just coming on here to post about Michael Ludwig aka 45rpm audiophile after watching his Thriller one step review…I have not read this thread for a few days but can see others have already posted about his content.

I’m now literally thinking there is no point of watching his videos now. I feel he is completely biased, so if he compares a reissue to an original then I just don’t think he will see the merits of the reissue in a fair way. He has always stated the original is best anyway as it is the ‘artefact’ and unique. Even if a record is technically superior, he will pose the argument of what it ‘should’ sound like. The things he mentions about the one step are generally the attributes that someone with a top high end setup will normally desire….less compression, more detail and wider soundstage? The much lauded Hoffman/Gray Rumours may sound fantastic and many would regard as the best pressing…but it is a little different from the first press in that it has less compression and some people may prefer the compression. That’s your preference. I feel like he is just too biased now and disregarding all the good aspects of the reissues he compares.

nosliw, Grohlfan, AudioTimes and 11 others like this.
  14. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Dude is a self-parody.

15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

In all honesty, it comes back to what I said. Some of those are boring titles (especially the last two) or ones that have already been done by MFSL. That is my main issue with MFSL. I’d just like them to do great sounding (DSD or not) of more diverse titles. Not titles that you can readily pick up in the bargain rack. However a record sounds and it’s sonic attributes, you still have to get excited about a particular release. I bought MFSL before this saga and will continue to buy them….but only if they interest me. I guess some people out there are just collectors regardless of content. Mike Esposito of In Groove has already stated he buys all the MFSL regardless of whether he likes them. Now, while that’s up to him…I find this a little strange but each to their own. Incidentally, I do love in groove mikes YouTube content.

16. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I have the same cart and a similar TT to you,. that's not crap, its not like a 7 year old victrola with a rusty needle and a penny on the head

dasacco and MarcTheMusician like this.
  17. MarcTheMusician

No, I'm quite happy with the turntable and cartridge, but my kenwood speakers and receiver are passable quality, but nothing special. I am looking for an upgrade in the next year.

I'd love a Transcriptors turntable. Someday, maybe.

bajaed likes this.
  18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Actually before Mofigate he was all about reissues. Thus the name 45 rpm Audiophile. You could not, and I attempted a few times, convince him to at least give originals and older reissues a comparison at all. Mofi hurt really did a number on him. Now its kind of the other scenario. Too far into "Nothing can beat originals!" Though he did say the AP Rastaman was better than his US original. Im kind of glad he has decided to stop buying Mofi lps. This way maybe he will have better vids and not just "Well, this is Mofi so it sucks." kind of bias.

nosliw, AaronW, ETSEQ and 3 others like this.
  19. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

If confirmation bias was a person it would look a lot like M 45.

ETSEQ and mpayan like this.
  20. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

Yes, I also recommended to him on several occasions that with the money he has, he can easily buy originals in NM condition instead of "audiophile" reissues. He replied that he liked to have "new" things in his hands. Apparently he can buy both (good for him!). I guess the next step is to compare "originals" from different pressing plants...

mpayan, hi_watt and Tommyboy like this.
  21. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Thats been done and posted about already.

mpayan likes this.
  22. Nothinbuttrouble

Nothinbuttrouble Well-Known Member

I must have missed it. Got a link or a reference? I am curious as to what went down.

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Also VMP have reasonable postage costs to UK (though they just went up $5) and far less hassle getting replacements. It's taken 10 weeks for Diverse Vinyl who are now the UK and Europe Mo-Fi importer to get a replacement disc for On The Border One Step. This does put me off other products even their new Andrew Jones speakers which sound fantastic even judging from the demos filmed on YouTube. What is more I think generally pressing quality from RTI is going downhill again, though the new RTI pressed AP Tull is fine (got a split cover so now waiting for Diverse to get replacement - another hassle).

WhatDoIKnow and richbdd01 like this.
  24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Well, I guess he is now saying that you guys were right. Shouldn't we be happy now?

Aleksander86 likes this.
  25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Well, as recently as five years ago, Audio Fidelity was putting out gold CD/SACD reissues of albums by Alice Cooper, Bad Company, Deep Purple, Grand Funk, Dio, Rush, Scorpions, Jane's Addiction, Judas Priest, Billy Idol, Rage Against the Machine, mastered by folks like Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray. I loved them, but there didn't seem to be that much interest in those titles, even on this Forum.

WhatDoIKnow and Yost like this.