Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. BigDaddyWil

BigDaddyWil Forum Resident

eclecticfiend likes this.
  2. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

Please can you tell me the 8 One Step titles you don't like?

3. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

The following 8 are not the definitive versions
    Some may sound decent but not the best versions of those releases
    Over emphasized eq, forced detail, lack of air, hifi sheen, hot low end, lack of warmth ,etc
    Each has their distinct sonic signature which doesn’t match up
    Each of these were bested by originals, not even first pressings and labels like Analog Productions, Speakers Corner, etc.
    Both 33 1/3 and 45 rpm

1 Steps that I find have sonic deficiencies

Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard
    Evans - Portraits in Jazz
    Fagen - The Nightfly
    Gaye - What’s Going On
    King - Tapestry
    Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
    Eagles - One of These Nights
    Yes - Fragile
    Crosby Stills and Nash

Oops I can’t count - nine

1 Steps I have that I feel are the Definitive Versions of that release

Dylan - Blood On the Tracks
    Eagles - S/T
    Mingus - Ah Um
    Monk - Monk’s Dream

YMMV

A 308 batting average
    Not quite Rod Carew
    But then again I pretty much stopped buying them well before the RSD Tulip Festival
    CSN and Hotel California were holdouts because they did so well with Eagles S/T with the resolution of layered harmony voices, dynamics and warmth. Too Bad One of These Nights and CSN didn’t measure up. How do you make the mellow Eagles sound aggressive?

4. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

It’s always seemed true to me, even when records were cheaper, that comparing numerous multiple releases of the same music with sufficient thoroughness to declare, with honestly earned authority, which release out of many sounds best is very strange behavior.

Of course over more than a decade of hanging around here I’ve shamelessly benefited from listening to trusted voices who’ve done the weird work and saved me quite a lot of bother (and money) by recommending great versions. But personally I’ve barely dipped my toe into the obsessive repetitive labor of relentlessly doing shoot-outs and painstakingly exposing the relative “sonic deficiencies” and glories of competing versions. I’m still amazed that this behavior is routinely treated as normal in the forum.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
    dkmonroe, Dai, rubberhead and 2 others like this.
  5. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I have two copies of Dark Side Of The Moon. UK LP from '83 or so, and the Immersion set. That's it. Might get the forthcoming live LP. Maybe.

I think there might be eight copies of The White Album in the house, with my wife kicking in three, but that's an outlier. Mostly, there are some beloved rock and jazz records that I have on LP & CD, but I try to avoid that.

"Records are like snowflakes, no two alike." Sorry, but I don't believe that, and if that's the conclusion one comes to as a result of owning a system that costs upwards of say, $20k, then I'm glad I'll never have the privilege.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  6. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

8 copies of the White Album
    Your wife kicking in 3

Seriously, you should marry that woman

Wounded Land and Bobsblkwax like this.
  7. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Shootouts are not normal?

Man, this place is filled with weirdos o_O

We would not have anything to talk about except the weather otherwise. :magoo:

8. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Well, I am guilty of this strange behavior. I do enjoy it.... but glad when I'm done and can go back to just listening.

9. dee

dee Senior Member

It's become 'the elephant in my room' at times. As has 'collecting' to some extent. All to the detriment of listening to different music and artists I like...

Stone Turntable and Vinylfindco like this.
  10. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

My source at Mofi told me that all of the Pixies titles are all analog.

jimhb and Jenifer like this.
  11. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

I have specifically asked him if this title was cut from digital files. He said it wasn’t…

12. teag

teag Forum Resident

Trust me…..trust me……right.

13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

14. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

15. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Why do you think they did Bossanova to DSD 64 and the others were straight to lathe?

bmusic likes this.
  16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The only reason I end up with multiple copies of an album is if I really like the album enough to want to get a reissue or an earlier pressing or a different pressing in the attempt to get the best one I can find. It's not hard to do if you're over a certain age and have been collecting records for a while.

The strangest behavior I see is the obsessive tendency in some to buy literally every reissue of an album, or every album by a particular artist, when it seems certain that the persons in question are already convinced of the unimpeachable superiority of that very first UK pressings that they own, and by God no modern re-release is going to measure up.

17. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

This is really great, the list seemingly being completed by a host of different members here. Anything yet on Allman Brother S/T or Eat a Peach? The Dead's "Wake of the Flood" or Roy Orbison's Alltime Greatest Hits? We can assume the more recent and unspecified Dylans were from DSD256. Sea Change is also still unaccounted for.

18. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I do this with some albums - it's part of the hobby to compare.

Slick Willie and dkmonroe like this.
  19. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I agree...besides, how do you truly know unless you try it?

20. dkmonroe

I understand that, but I couldn't stand to buy the same albums over and over IF I was convinced in principle that the original was the best. When I see people jumping on the latest reissue and then their comments are "This is the worst pressing of the album I have ever heard, typical modern mastering the OG is so much better", I always think, why bother? Why spend good money to be disappointed?

This may not be you though. I'm not saying all people who buy multiples are like that.

21. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I see a LOT of people doing that with Beatles reissues. I don't buy any Beatles.

Also, I generally don't buy the reissues, especially not now when I know I have the best pressing of Bitches Brew. I'm more into the archaeology of older pressings. Seems more interesting.

dkmonroe likes this.
  22. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

How did the analog emperor's best sounding vinyl (from Mofi) suddenly start sounding bad after the analog emperor discovered that it was cut from digital?
    Enlighten me please!

COBill likes this.
  23. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I haven't looked at this thread for a while. On the subject of shoot-outs, I was doing them extensively circa 2015 forward til say Covid. Some were based on multiple copies I already had-- crazy that I'd have ten different copies of RLJ's first album, but somehow, over the years, I'd just pick up more copies if I saw them on the cheap. Sometimes I had to buy copies to make it a more complete shoot-out, but unless it was a rare or collectible record, it did not cost that much.
    And what I found sometimes, say with the "Pronounced Lynyrd Skynyrd" album was there would be some unremarkable label reissue (not third party) that would sound better than the OG or the MoFi. (Published this in 2015 not relying on sonic memory here).
    I'm largely done doing that at this point since the stuff I'm chasing is hard enough to find, and often, there aren't many reissues, let alone ones of quality. And the price of some has gotten stupid. I don't view this stuff as collectible for its own sake. But unfortunately, I'm colliding with that market in what I buy.

24. dkmonroe

:doh:

VQR, Iving and Strat-Mangler like this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Show me proof of that. Any post on this board from anyone who stated this. I'll wait.