Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

What’s funny about that person is he is actually the caricature on the digital side that he thinks we all are for analog. Makes sense in a strange way.

MonkeyTennis and thrivingonariff like this.
  2. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

There was a mention in Fremer's video about how Sterling Sound had a contract with Sony which is why the Analogue Productions of SRV (among other titles) stuff is mastered at Sterling.

Maybe that answers the question I've had for some time: why aren't more AP titles being mastered using the Doug Sax equipment that Chad bought?

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Right at some point between insults to Mike E perhaps he did.

So Im not really sure where you were going with this.

My point was: Mike E wasnt going to ask those questions. Because he knew they wouldnt answer them.

You asked why I would assume such and then provide more evidence that they wouldnt?

:confused:

4. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

So did I. I had seen this thread and had expected this to be a new thread. Wow.

5. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Easy reply- millions(?) of people would disagree.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Nope. Still sounds inferior to the UK :D

As do all of the Elvis Costellos. IMO.

Which is again ironic. Because some are AAA.

Which goes right back to the real issue. Mastering. (Though I think with the Costellos they didnt have the UK tapes, yes?)

mikeyt and Slick Willie like this.
  7. Otto Konrad

Otto Konrad Forum Resident

“Hey you kids!” :)

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

My own. Other people's opinions don't factor into my decision to keep MFSL records or impede/promote my enjoyment of them.

They do exist, though thankfully very few and far between.

mikeyt likes this.
  9. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Yep, like he would be in line waiting for a Toyota to drive himself to MFSL that takes about 2 hours at that time of day.

10. Some folks don't care why or when but I’m one who does care. I still enjoy their records I own but it interests me when a company decides to be less transparent. Especially one who has promoted themselves as a premium products who's records are included in the best all analogue lists for a good while now.

Curiosity, DaleClark and Joe Stark like this.
  11. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Having lived with "Live/Dead" for over fifty years I hate, hate, hate the different and weird MFSL mix.
    I was so looking forward to it and hate it.

(Sorry about the hate ;))

12. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

I already assumed that.

13. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

If you think the mix is different that's a completely separate issue.

14. Actually that’s no longer the case. I know that Universal makes a lot more off streaming so I assume that’s the same for WEA and Sony

GimiSomeTruth and Fizzle like this.
  15. NDAs are pretty standard in all businesses these days. Contract workers are required to sign them. Even I have to for photography productions with corporations and ad agencies .

16. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

What is so bizarre about him wanting a rental car?

mikeyt likes this.
  17. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

What's the worst one you've owned (that is not the Fragile One-Step of course. I hear people don't like the bass ;-)?

18. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I actually stepped away from the terminal for a couple hours. In the meantime, I got an email from a long time colleague in LA, also retired, who was/is a "big macher" in the biz. He forwarded The Washington Post article with a note expressing shock in a sarcastic way. Point? I guess that this has now reached well beyond audiophile circles and readers interested in the subject- he knows the biz, great schmoozer, but probably hasn't played a record since the '70s.

Joe Stark likes this.
  19. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Ha!
    I guess my unsaid point was that I was disappointed that one of the few that doesn't have a digital step sounded just awful.

I usually like MFSL products. I've found that their "smiley face EQ" quite nicely compliments my aging ears.

20. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

So, with all this said and admitted to, where does this put releases of vinyl and old vinyl. Will this mean prices of old vinyl will go even more through the roof?

I can see MFSL going bankrupt over this, but wonder too about all the old releases we see other labels redoing and of course the great old vinyl that's stuck away in bins and attics. Is old vinyl going to see an increase in interest since we've all been lied to?

MonkeyTennis and OldSoul like this.
  21. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Mike Esposito has so many MoFis from all the audiophile collections he has bought
    Many of those collections multiple unopened copies

What I don’t like about Mofi releases - most either have limited air and dynamics or most One Steps are goosed up to sound audiophile and come off unbalanced

Negative points for using Last preservative - terrible stuff for your records

The Analog Productions audiophile release “The wonderful sounds of female vocals” was compiled by Mike. He did disclose this but someone else should have done the review. Personally I thought it was a pretty lame “oh no, not these tracks again” compilation.
    My audiophile friends loved it

Fizzle likes this.
  22. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Could someone possibly copy and paste the Post article here. The link didn’t work for me as it wants a membership or something.

23. Joe Stark

Joe Stark "Sad wanker" - Michael Fremer

We have reached page 666 - do with that information what you will

24. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

That's funny. I have all of the new MFSL Grateful Dead vinyl - except Live/Dead. I won't run out to spend a tonne to complete the series!

25. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Well you can call them.
    I'm more concerned about the state of other institutions.

I know I'll get flak but MOFI could have reacted differently.
    We stand by our product and description
    That is not accurate
    No response
    It's proprietary
    It is your choice as a consumer

And just let the rumors fly, it might have died down faster.