Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

AI for Analog Intelligence i presume ? ;)

I-OD and Strat-Mangler like this.
  2. Joe Stark

Joe Stark "Sad wanker" - Michael Fremer

Hard to tell for sure

3. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

This just might be the beginning of the end of the latest MOFI once the lawyers chime in.

4. Adagio

Adagio Forum Resident

If that happens, one wonders if that will make the used prices go up or down.

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I don't keep up with this thread but are lawyers chiming in?

6. Ron13a

Ron13a Forum Resident

If the ambulance chasers smell blood in the water, yes.

jim249 and ssmith3046 like this.
  7. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if they do with all the purists out there most likely very angry.

8. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

With some disclaimers I would not discard that idea.

9. ssmith3046

Having anger and a viable lawsuit are two different things. I'm not a lawyer so I haven't a clue. I guess time will tell. Can you sue for false advertising? Maybe an audiophile attorney will take them on pro bono.

10. People were riffing on the writers style and approach. Certainly not on this Mike that Mike or any Michael. You misread the tone.

Pretorius likes this.
  11. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

Of course you can. Buying something not as advertised is fraud.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  12. Wrong. It was about the writers inclusion of the sad back story that didn’t add anything to the MoFi debacle. Yeah riffing I’m things he could have added like finding my adopted father or wine tasting in Sonoma after the big interview. Or a parody of Fremers schtick

Some bad taste ? Sure. It’s sarcastic there but never stabs at Mike history..

Pretorius likes this.
  13. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Print this on a t-shirt over a graphic of the MoFi Ultradisc One-Step Process and you're good to go!

14. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Seems this argument rages on as a full and unqualified admission for the deception (to the satisfaction of their core market) has been hard in coming. It's a shame, but unless that comes out, we all lose and reputation will be permanently lost.

As to the 'you can't tell the difference' brigade, my take on it is this. Many records that MOFI have published I've never had access to in original analogue form. And certainly never owned a pristine, first analogue pressing original with which to compare. And I don't hate digital or DSD either. So, I took their offering - from fellow 'audiophiles' more privileged and experienced than me - as honest and open, thinking they would just declare any digital steps and extol their virtues. I trusted them. And they knowingly lied to me and broke that trust, seemingly motivated by their bottom line. Sophistry, essentially.

They could have told me upfront, as many have also stated. We just want to be told. And then abusing your core market further after the initial deception has come to light, by telling them they can't tell the difference, is a great way to poison the well and kill your business. That's really inexcusable and lacks honour.

I may but some MOFI in the future. But it will forever be a different company to me now.

This thread is a great way for people to wash their audiophile disappointment out of their audio lives. Thanks for this.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    MonkeyTennis, jim249 and Uglyversal like this.
  15. ssmith3046

I suppose it comes down to the cost of going after them with a lawsuit versus the rewards reaped.

16. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

it sounded "off"

but they're two completely different masterings, pressings, etc. you can't say it has anything to do with there being a digital step anywhere. you just can't make that conclusion.

bluesfan and Smith like this.
  17. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I am watching the same kind of thing.

These aren't titles that typically sell a lot. I think a 2 month sample of time is probably necessary to compare what happened during the previous two months, to determine if there has been a change.

18. jim249

jim249 Forum Resident

Yep. Time will tell.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  19. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Would it be wise for MoFi to offer a buyback program? It would probably cost them less than a lawsuit would and they could potentially re-sell the albums. Regarding customers who already sold their copies at or above retail (or probably still could), on what grounds would they have to sue? That they were buying these things as investments?

20. Well we may find out Sunday

Karmageddon likes this.
  21. I clicked through on my iPhone. I’m not a WAPO subscriber and I could read the entire article. ????

22. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

what happens then, Mazzy?

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

500 more pages of posts.

dheath, Doug_D, eddiel and 34 others like this.
  24. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I've hand built many ground up restorations of classic muscle cars, got burnt out on it though but still have project cars and way to many parts costing me storage and taking up space.

Here is one I did and enjoyed for around 8 years after building it over two years. Had a few different engines in it 427 and 428. The first 427 was 12 to 1 compression with a three deuce setup running on 110 octane race fuel. There is a lot of work to drive a car I built that has 600+ HP and the noise it produces, your not using your phone that's for sure, or a cup of coffee, the only thing your doing is driving.

Started by gutting it and getting it read for paint
    [​IMG]

Here is the finished car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In 2016 I sold it to a friend and he in turn sold it to this guy who marketed it, and it went to France. I was surprised when I accidentally ran across this video of my car maybe around 2018.

25. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

ahhhh.... thanks, Steve.