Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab has been cutting vinyl from digital since a long, long time ago...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jul 14, 2022.

1. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Mr. Hoffman, do you know when Acoustic Sounds purchased Classic Records, did AS acquired the lacquers, metal masters or metal mothers of CR catalog? Thanks!

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I thought the heavier weight meant more stability and less vibration. I guess with a good turntable it does not mean anything. Boy have I been a schmuck!

Strat-Mangler and DaveyF like this.
  3. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

as long as you state it is an opinion poll, and has no scientific basis whatsoever that is fine

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Can't comment, sorry, not my place.

ausamerika and MemoInPR like this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

These days? "Half speed mastered", "Gold discs", "Green markers", plastic rings for the edges of your CD, $10000 interconnects, "180g", "Gain System", "One Step", BluSpec. Lots of snake oil and professional marketing mavens. Some of these have a little value, some have no value at all. None has as much value as the proper master tape, a good mastering engineer, and a good mastering chain (and good vinyl and careful pressing if it's vinyl).

6. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Retailers selling out (although I don't remember that happening) was 40 years ago when Michael Jackson was arguably the biggest pop star on the planet and people were still buying LP's.
    With all of the subsequent releases and (true or not) that ugly pedophilia stuff forever hovering in the background I think there won't be the demand.

I am admittedly the wrong demographic but I personally don't know anyone clamoring for this release as a physical LP.
    There's literally millions of them out there already and this release is obviously targeted at the limited audiophile market where I'm guessing only a small percentage are Michael Jackson fans.

I of course could be wrong ... again.

Man at C&A and DaveyF like this.
  7. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

In your last paragraph, you bring up a point I've made from a different angle. Your right, and in MHO is unhealthy to the listening community. Look it's great to collect Mofi or many other "audiophile " labels. Collectors are still fans of the music. They listen to their collection, cherish it like 45rpm Mike or Mike Esposito at the In Groove and Michael Fremer. These "collectors " that proudly show off their high priced albums are doing so in an almost elitist fashion. Some or most of their collection is sealed. There is a fine line between these kinds of collectors and those of us on this Forum. There might be a few here, but very few. Whether we all agree on anything here, we are a passionate bunch.
    I only have about 500 albums ( I don't care to count them ) but I actively seek out the best pressing and mastering of each of those albums. I'm a rock and roll kinda guy with a sprinkling of Blues, Folk and to a lesser extent Classical and Jazz , but from Rock music artists.
    I admire the big and mostly healthy collectors of music (their wives might disagree) . They collect and listen to multiple masterings of many albums. I've never met a YouTube Channel I can't gleam some sort of knowledge. Whether it's Melinda Murphy or Michael Fremer ( and yes I've been a bit harsh on him of late ) they all have that passion for listening to music.
    The collector that "Flips" music on the secondary market drive the Prices up is unhealthy to the hobby. A first pressing that's earned its price in the marketplace is where we should all be supporting and record labels that push limited edition pressings of either numbered, or colored or even upscale pressings ( think ERC here ), I think in the long run skew and in some cases damage the music industry. Time will tell.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    Boots71 likes this.
  8. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

What? I have no idea what you are talking about. If you mean if it's not double blind it has no scientific basis, you are wrong.

9. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Understood. :)

10. Rose River Bear

I am embarrassed to say I have at least a dozen SHM CDs. :(

MrSka57 likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

So can I quote you now as saying its BS? or just leave the BS part out? lol

12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Lord, yall are gonna have me going through all these Chad videos again. It was bad enough the first time lol

morinix likes this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

Once again, it is only valid for a one-time pressing order of 500 or less. It saves a plating step.

14. Randy

Randy Never Complain About The A/C On A Private Jet

This response is brilliant!

15. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

The Aretha's weighs 106 g.... o_O

trd likes this.
  16. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

"Watson, does the sun go around the earth or the earth around the sun?" "Sir the earth orbits the sun" "Thank you dear fellow. When this case is over I shall forget this." ......actually both bodies may be considered to rotate around their common centre of mass

17. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

I like em floppy! :D

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ok lol. Thanks Steve, I appreciate the input.

Too bad the One Step process doesnt make a record sound better though.

19. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I think this record probably fits into the category of "sonic spectacular." I haven't listened to it in years, but it is a very "produced" sound- Quincy Jones was really in top form. I know audiophiles who will listen to anything that "sounds good" without much regard for the music itself. I have an old copy upstairs, I'm sure-- I'll have to pull it out and listen to it, just to see if my memory is failing.
    I did go to a show on that tour of Thriller- can't even remember how I got tickets- I was single (long time ago) and dating someone who wanted to go. It was in a stadium in New Jersey. Nuff said.

trd likes this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

How could it make a record sound better? It can't.

The whole point of doing a One Step (unless you've recorded the Taft High School Marching Band) is to make a rare record that was only pressed 500 times and then the plate destroyed. A unique limited edition.

Once you go on from there, well, there IS no point.

21. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Folk Singer is the only MoFi I regret buying.

Beach House, Mike H. and Wounded Land like this.
  22. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

There was some talk that the reasons that the 180 gram and the 200 gram record became more common, was due to two factors..1) Less propensity for the thicker gauge record to warp and 2) more stable on the platter, particularly for 45 rpms.
    Certainly the quality of a lot of the 120 gram pressings of the past left a lot to be desired.

23. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Me too. Plus a couple of BluSpecs, BluSpec2s and UHQCDs.

Tullman and Rose River Bear like this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ok, this is regarding my statement that Chad basically says One Step process is BS. It is not what he says here but what he wont say. I think its pretty plain...

(me having to defend my statements is kind of funny to me since I am a fan of the One Steps lol)

But anyway...start at the 12 minute mark. He words things very carefully but I think its plain what he is saying about the One Step process in and of itself:

Audio13, batman144144 and morinix like this.
  25. Rose River Bear

The thing is though, many times those snake oil CDs were remasters. So I gave them a shot on top of being fooled by the "improvement". Some had remasters that I liked.
    I usually bought from MOFI because there was a good chance I would be getting the mastering I liked. For me, most of their remasters are my favorites. Not all though.

MrSka57 likes this.