Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Holy crap man. Sorry for your misfortune. All this is nonesense in comparison. Even my bitterest enemies here I would join forces with and I am sure they would also, if you need anything. Damn. Im sorry. None if this matters in light of health issues. I get it.

None if my business but covid related?

I have longhaulers post covid sequalae is why I ask. Nothing like you are going through but I do know the suffering somewhat.

2. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Whoa my friend. I work in healthcare and run across such unfortunate people regularly. That’s a tough year. I’m sorry all this fell on you.

Anyway, glad you’re home. Enjoy the 33s and don’t look back.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Don,

Goddamn man !!! So sorry to read this. You hang in there Sir.

4. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

The double lung transplant was due to genetic pulmonary fibrosis and the amputation was the result of medications used to stop the septic shock. It was hard on my wife as she was told that I had 48 hours to live. I don't type as lengthy posts anymore due to being one handed. I have to make less say more. Learning to walk again was a major challenge after 6 months in a bed.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  5. Ryan Bedlack

Ryan Bedlack Forum Resident

Much love and respect to you, my man. We're all glad you're here to share your love of music with the rest of us

6. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Massive respect for your endurance after all that! Stay strong and all the best to you and your family!

7. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

8. Yukon Cornholio

Yukon Cornholio Forum Resident

While recovering, don't forget your spiritual health. I survived Leukemia in my 40s, and my Christian faith gave me a lot of comfort. I don't want to break the rules of the site, but if you have not thought about it and would like to talk, I would be happy to send you my personal e-mail address. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Stay tough, if you look for a blessing every day, it will help.

9. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

Just 1 on Discogs but Paid Room Ebay has sold multiple copies and has 29 left at $85 with Promo code BF2022PRR15PERC.

MonkeyTennis and mikeyt like this.
  10. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Much respect to you and hopes for a full recovery. I cannot imagine what you have been through but its a triumph that you are still here and posting with the rest of us!

BTW, I grew up in Richardson so its good to hear from a fellow North Texan.

WhatDoIKnow and dkurtis like this.
  11. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

I see Court and Spark is getting the One Step treatment. Not sure if I'll pull the trigger as I'm very happy with my new Asylum boxset version on vinyl.

violarules and CBackley like this.
  12. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I don't think I am really into this catalog treatment as One Steps. I understand Pearl, What's Going On, Blood on the Tracks and Hotel California type releases. But to do 6 Eagles, 6 Joni Mitchell and 6 Van Halen seems to dilute the One Step uniqueness. I suppose if they stick with the thinner "Thriller" box style it changes things (helps) from a space and extravagance, but the cost side of things still needs work. $125 a pop is a lot of dough for catalog titles not quite at the reissue caliber of UHQRs.

Anyone else struggling with the "get them all" mentality with the latest batch of Joni Mitchell, Springsteen releases? It has me reevaluating the VH titles as well.

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I think theyve jumped the proverbial shark.

14. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I have the BG/CB cut done by RTI and it sounds great

Geee!, pmckeeaalaska and Echoes Myron like this.
  15. SpinIt

SpinIt Musicphile

Now here’s a reaction I didn’t expect. I just gave my Thriller One Step a first spin, and it gave me the giggles! :laugh:

I’d better (try) to explain. It’s…different. And it’s definitely audiophile-ish. But it’s so much different that I thought at first it‘s sort of weird and comical. The giggles have settled in, and I decided it’s a keeper, it sounds amazing, but I’ll also keep my Dutch original which despite its audio flaws has a lot more groove.

Oh, and please let this new box be the future standard for One Steps!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Id imagine for the 45 Thriller theyll be back to the velvet elvis fingerprint city big box.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I'm not buying them all any more, but will still buy some select titles.

I look around at all the 1-Step boxes piling up in my office and have to ask how much will it improve my life to have 20 more of these boxes? Sure I want to hear Thriller or Hejira on a 1-Step, but I certainly don't need to fork over thousands more for all these titles...

18. While many of them sound good, I will have to respectfully disagree. The Greatest Hits 1st US press has more life, breadth, and depth. I never owned Greatest Hits until the MoFi, and I thought it couldn’t be topped. I found a beat-up OG Greatest Hits in the wild that I snagged solely because it had the original poster. I was stunned how much livelier the music sounded from start to finish. A few crackles were totally worth it. And this is a 50+ year-old LP that lived a rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle versus a brand-new 45-rpm. MoFi scandal or no MoFi scandal, the OG is the winner. And you don’t have to flip it after two songs.

Cheers,

Bill

19. Haven’t heard the MoFi hits LP. Is that a Krieg cut too ?

Curiosity likes this.
  20. KW@MoFi right in the deadwax with the RTI numbers. Even at 45 rpm, the OG’s got it beat. And it’s got the freaking poster!

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  21. haomingy

haomingy Forum Resident

I thought the MoFi mono sounds good, but never heard the stereo version. Have you compared both? At least I saw several said mono for earlier albums with Dylan and single guitar makes more sense. Just curious.

22. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

Honestly I haven't heard the MOFI's of Another Side. I am on the lookout for the stereo though. I have hear the box set mono, various original mono's, various original stereos, and the legacy reissue. My go to copy is a US stereo repress from about 1965 just because it's nearly a mint copy.

I also think the "mono for earlier albums" is overblown anyway. Both stereo and mono sound good for the most part. It's not like the stereos are hard panned or anything

haomingy and this_machine like this.
  23. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Oh they’re hard panned for the first few albums alright! Have you heard the panning on Freewheelin’ in stereo? It’s absurd. Mono is the way.
    By Another Side it was a better, right?

24. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

I just listened to my early Freewheelin' vocals, guitar, harmonica are centered. When there's percussion like on Corrina then it's off to one side. Not what i'd call panned at all. Times They Are a Changin' is the same deal. The only one I'd call hard panned is the debut.

soundQman likes this.
  25. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo