Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. DeanoBee

DeanoBee Lifelong Music Junkie

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I preferred the 2LP Chris Bellman cut in a head-to-head shootout. Yes, there was some more spaciousness and ease with the MoFi, but less dynamic and it was tonally a bit gray and dry compared with the CB cut. The CB cut seemed more alive, more involving, albeit a bit tipped up on top (as though to help focus on string attack.). In the end, even though neithet was perfect, the CB was more interesting a listen. Both beat the original simgle-disc LP and CD.

Dougthesnail and bluesfan like this.
  3. Latech

Latech Forum Resident

4. AnalogJ

I wish I could go back in a correct the typos. :oops:

5. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

We all make them. What album were you referring to?

6. DeanoBee

It really is buyer beware because the initial offering had a bunch of quality issues, with others like yourself, who waited forever for replacements. Good luck!

7. AnalogJ

Sorry. The Clapton Unplugged.

Soundslave likes this.
  8. AnalogJ

This may not be the exact thread for this, but I pulled out my old copy (bought when released) of the first MoFi attempt at Little Feat's live Waiting For Columbus.

Pressed on legendary JVC Vinyl (which proved to be poisonous to those manufacturing it, which is why it's no longer used) and mastered and cut by Stan Ricker, this is one of the best of the first Original Master Recordings series.

As usual, it's quite dynamic and the vinyl is super quiet. It's pretty well tonally balanced. If I have a complaint, the top end is a bit tipped up, resulting in some sibilance to the voices and cymbals and bit of hotness to the horns that probably shouldn't be there, but it's not bad. I don't know if that's in the recording or not. The midrange is really good here, open and detailed, as 1/2-speed mastering tends to offer. Stan Ricker, a bass player himself, lets the bass come through, but not too much so. Overall, though, it's well done. I don't have another copy with which to compare, however, alas.

Of course, musically, there's some fantastic stuff going on here. New Orleans and other southern funk, boogie, and blues, great songwriting, and great musicianship by the band with assistance from the Tower Of Power.

The second MoFi attempt from over a decade ago is not apparently nearly as good as this one. MoFi was going through a bad period where they were releasing some subpar reissues, including the Linda Ronstadt ones.

The newest WB reissue has gotten some excellent reviews, so my guess is that you probably don't need to splurge on this MoFi unless you're a collector. You won't get the dead silent surfaces of this one nor the half-speed mastering, if that makes any difference to you.

Doctorwu, gabbleratchet7 and Munger74 like this.
  9. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

This is pretty much what I hear on all of the early MFSL releases. A little bright in many (not all) cases, but reasonable bass. I learned long ago to ignore comments about boosted bass, because I just don't hear it anywhere.

I've been meaning to follow up on another AnalogJ comment about some of the later releases - the early 100 ones, between the Beatles and Sinatra boxes. They are worth discussing. Maybe this weekend. Going away for a few days.

Soundslave, WhatDoIKnow and AnalogJ like this.
  10. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

My copy of the Blood, Sweat and Tears 1-Step is currently out for delivery. There are still 111 copies in stock at Music Direct. Given the rave reviews it gets in this forum, and elsewhere, I'm surprised they have only sold 9 copies in the last 8 days. Especially, after it was long thought to be sold out.

Regardless, I can't wait for mine to arrive so I can give it a listen.

11. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Love that album and that pressing! The interplay is just amazing. It’s the best I’ve heard the album when I compared against digital versions. Not bad, and glad it’s back in press!

Crosseyed likes this.
  12. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I have been on the fence about this album and pressing. I have a feeling it isn't as bad as people say. I may end up grabbing it, but there is also a Pure Pleasure?? (I think) pressing still available. Similarly bad reviews.

13. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

It's an amazing album, listen to it on your preferred streaming platform and you'll get an idea of the level of hiss involved, it's on the MoFi too. I have the MoFi and it's the best I've heard, despite.

Vibrolux_Reverb likes this.
  14. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Cool. I am a music first kind of guy, so I may grab this while it is in stock.

Clucking and chris8519 like this.
  15. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

Anyone have thoughts on the MoFi Still Bill?

I just got mine and it sounds pretty sweet to me, but I’ve never had any other version of this album and I’m also not an audiophile so don’t listen to me.

this_machine likes this.
  16. AnalogJ

I don't have the MoFi, but my original sounds very good. Not the quietest vinyl, but it was well recorded and mastered. Great album!

this_machine and ETSEQ like this.
  17. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Bill Withers - Still Bill MFSL?
    post 81

this_machine likes this.
  18. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

A couple of hours ago I was catching up with this thread and saw that Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline had become available again on Music Direct nearly 2 weeks ago. I have been trying to buy this for a long time. Last time it was available and I was on the notification list, it was gone before I got there. So today I saw it backordered and signed up again for the notification when it became In Stock again. Much to my surprise I got the email shortly thereafter - I was about an hour late when I saw the email but this time it was still in stock. And I got it! Very happy as I have most of the MoFi stereo Dylans and I like them a lot. :edthumbs:

19. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I got mine today too! And just finished listening.

I know it’s not a onestep and thus kind of off topic. But:
    • These are the kinds of releases I wish mofi would get back to.
    • $40, somewhat rare album (I’ve never seen original pressings in shops), well pressed with no over the top BS vinyl formula.
    • The music JUMPS out of the speakers from the first second and just keeps coming. Super good dynamics. Well balanced EQ (if only slightly bright).
    Now we are post DSD gate (and the lineage is printed straight up on the back of the sleeve!!) I don’t mind this kind of release.
    It sounds good.
    It’s pressed as well as any “super vinyl” I’ve heard.
    And it is SANELY PRICED.

This release is fun. And a win.

Rocco1, CBackley, Beach House and 8 others like this.
  20. DeanoBee

Miles Davis - Seven Steps to Heaven

This is available for pre-order from MOFI. I have an alternate version coming from The In-Grooves What Not auction, due tomorrow, so I will pass on the Mofi.

21. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

The Blood, Sweat and Tears 1-Step arrived yesterday. The sound quality is amazing, truly demo quality.

Both records have minor warps, but not enough to impact the sound or warrant a return. However, both inner jackets have seam splits on the top edge. I have only purchased three 1-Steps and two of them have had seam splits on the top edge of both inner sleeves. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence, but both of those were ordered from Music Direct. The There Goes Rhymin' Simon 1-step I received from Elusive Disc arrived in perfect condition with no seam splits or other defects.

I have contacted Music Direct about replacement inner sleeves. When this happened with my Clapton Unplugged 1-Step, they responded promptly and immediately sent replacement sleeves.

AnalogJ likes this.
  22. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

I'm fine with the Analogue Productions reissue.

timzigs, MonkeyTennis and Crush87 like this.
  23. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. I was able to preorder this over the phone from Music Direct. No shipping charge, and no charge until it ships.

DeanoBee likes this.
  24. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

wgb113 and DeanoBee like this.
  25. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Is this a new SV?

I wonder if Miles Smiles 33 is still coming?

I just won an auction for the mono Miles Smiles. Hoping it’s NM as advertised but I’ve had bad luck lately

CBackley likes this.