Moby Grape – Dark Magic...and the Grape album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Apr 26, 2019.

1. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

There are more of us that you might think...

lemonade kid likes this.
  2. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Like this a lot - Omaha not so much, a note for note recreation of the original, I can always just listen to that. But Arwen brings a different flavor to Come in the Morning with her vocal and the backing vocal arrangement and the slightly slower tempo.

The songs from the first album are so strong I’m amazed they haven’t been covered by more artists. Even with radically different arrangements the songwriting would shine through.

Glenn coates likes this.
  3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Many of Arwen's covers are different like the second one you like...I'll do a track by track...soon!

4. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Nope, there are at least 2 of us. I think Wow is great and not a "sophomore slump" at all. I consider Grape Jam part of the album, and I love those long jams, especially the one that reveals Mike Bloomfield as a not half bad blues piano player.

lemonade kid likes this.
  5. lemonade kid

WOW! is definitely a great effort and I also love Grape Jam...yes, it is different, but what a tasty JAM!

Folknik likes this.
  6. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I just had this inspiration; Cheap Trick covering Hey Grandma

bzfgt likes this.
  7. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I like Wow but the outtakes reveal some very bad choices on the part of Rubinson, who could have put together a much stronger album with the material he had.

Grape Jam - don’t get me started on how wrong that album went. On a jam album, wouldn’t you expect Jerry to cut loose on lead guitar? Yet he lays back and never takes off on the Al Kooper piano jam (and Al is NOT good on piano, very repetitious and boring) and only in brief bursts on the Bloomfield track. The best of the bunch is Boysenberry Jam with Skip on piano where Jerry brings it. I prefer Grape Jam #2 to the rest of the official album, again with Skip on piano, because the soloing is better. Marmalade should have been edited down to about 7 minutes to just the best stuff. And Bag’s groove has an incredible jazz guitar solo by Jerry that ranks with his best. Again, Rubinson’s head was not in the right place when he put together these two albums.

bzfgt likes this.
  8. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Speaking of Hey Grandma, here’s a BBC recording of the song by the Move - it was also recorded for their first album.

9. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

"your old bustle"..

lemonade kid and bzfgt like this.
  10. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Yeah the Move got the words wrong - Robitussin was too difficult for Brits to decipher!

sharedon, lemonade kid and bzfgt like this.
  11. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

And since Cheap Trick were always at their best covering The Move, the cycle of life is complete.

GerryO and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
  12. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Yes Cheap Trick are big fans of the Move and there’s a YouTube video of Roy Wood performing with them.

13. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Life's kinda funny that way.

14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

no band should be that talented and under-recognized

15. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

So what happened to the song "Someday" between the time the Frantics released it and when Moby Grape released it to earn Skip Spence a songwriting credit?

lemonade kid and Bruso like this.
  16. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

The other side "Human Monkey": Bob Mosely, Jerry Miller, Don Stevenson and Chuck "Steaks" Schoning.

lemonade kid likes this.
  17. lemonade kid

Arwen, by Arwen Lewis

Named after Tolkien's character (the dark haired Elf, beautiful Arwen),
    Arwen's talent stands on her own tho' her decision to cover all of the Grape's
    debut album is a brave one with a stunning result. Enjoy!

Arwen Lewis is a performance and recording musician, singer & songwriter from California. Her debut album "Arwen" is a collection of psychedelia-tinged Rock and Roll, Blues Rock, Folk Rock, Country Rock, and Jazz Rock, and a collection of classic songs written by the 1960's San Francisco band Moby Grape. "Arwen" was released in the Autumn of 2015.

Arwen Lewis

[​IMG]

Bill likes this.
  18. lemonade kid

19. lemonade kid

track 1) Omaha

Great opening tribute to her pop and the Grape.
    Righteous.

Please note: All tracks below are shared by Arwen, on youtube.

Notes from Bandcamp:

This is the leading track from the album "Arwen" . A collection of songs recorded by Arwen Lewis that were originally written and recorded by the band Moby Grape (Skip Spence Peter Lewis Bob Mosley Jerry Miller and Don Stevenson). United in San Francisco, the result was a musical chemistry that created the material for this album and much more.. This song is written by Skip Spence and its title is taken from, as Skip explained, The meditation "OMMM....., and the discovery, AHA!!!!!

:love:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  20. lemonade kid

track 2) Come In The Morning

Arwen's personal style & talent shines here...fantastic. Dad Peter on the opening.

A happy, live in the moment song written by Bob Mosely, the great vocalist and bass player from the band Moby Grape recorded by Arwen Lewis For the album"Arwen"

[​IMG]

21. lemonade kid

track 3) Sittin' By The Window

A favorite Grape song that Arwen interprets perfectly. Love her!

Beautiful song originally recorded by Moby Grape. Here Arwen adds her wonderfully honest take on this gorgeous song written by Peter Lewis. -Bandcamp

Sittin' By The Window, by Arwen Lewis

Bill likes this.
  22. lemonade kid

More soon....

:D

[​IMG]

Glenn coates likes this.
  23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Arwen’s is the only album that I bought (great vinyl pressing) and received a note from the artist thanking me.

lemonade kid likes this.
  24. lemonade kid

"Someday" Miller, Stevenson, Spence

We can only assume that he contributed enough to the creative reinterpretation on the Grape debut
    that Miller & Stevenson decided to give Skip co-songwriting credit.

:tiphat:

bekayne likes this.
  25. lemonade kid

Nice!