Modern mid-fi bookshelf speakers to play nice with a Marantz 2230?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Henny, Nov 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henny

Henny Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm seeking some suggestions before I upgrade my speakers. After reading a few other threads on this topic, I think I'm feeling brave enough to ask in my own thread since my situation is a bit different.

My current set up: ** I primarily listen to vinyl 95% of the time.
    Project Classic w/Bluepoint no. 2 >
    Project DS2 Tube Box phono pre >
    Marantz 2230 >
    Audioquest Type 2 speaker cables >
    JBL Studio 230s (88db @ 8 ohms)

I can't totally hate on the JBL's. While the oldest possession and performance runt of the bunch, at $250 they have been able to present the improvements of each upgrade.

Running the 2230 for power, speaker efficiency seems significant. And while I wouldn’t rule out an amplifier upgrade at some point (I know many would find my amp insufficient), I am happy with it. So acquiring speakers that will serve me well now, but could also hang with an upgrade later is a goal.

Other considerations:
    • - / $1500 budget (I could go more, but would not be surprised if satisfied for less)
    • Aren't super fickle about placement.
    • Preference to bookshelf
    • Aesthetically pleasing
    Currently, I'm set up in a pretty good sized room for listening, playing music, and working. But I'm giving preference to speakers that could integrate into a communal family living space eventually without dominating the room or decor (hence bookshelf preference). It's common for me to have to squeeze listening time in while working, where I'm up moving around at times while I listen, hence my positioning comment above.

Of what I've been able to demo, the Paradigm Prestige 15b have been my favorite. Consumer feedback being primarily around home theatre gives me pause. The dynamics, excellent clarity, and respectable bass in a bookshelf impressed me. Both sets of KEF speakers that I demo'd I didn't care for. LS50's (didn't really speak to me and my research says they would not play nice with my 223o), and R3's (expected to love, but the bass presented too boomy to me).

Focal Chora got a thumbs up here with a vintage Marantz. Was recommended Polk Legends.... What else should be on my radar? Any feedback to help me narrow in on a decision would be warmly welcomed. Between holiday sales, being home more than ever, and a massive stash of cash back credit card rewards - seems like a good time to get decisive.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

2. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

Why new speakers? Preowned is not risky here ...
    Generally speakers of the same age as amps sound best with them, the damping factor fits
    Old KEF are nice and easy to find, Tannoy are above your budget unfortunately (consider them)
    Vandersteens seem too big
    You will find, 10000s out there

if it must be new try the new Wharfedale Denton or Linton, depending on the space

3. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

If you want volume from your speakers, you might want to look for very efficient 8ohm models. My first thought however is the JBL HDI-1600 from JBL Synthesis, if your Marantz can sufficiently power them. The best solution might be the one from Bananajack, used speakers, like JBL L100's, which indeed are a really good match to your receiver. The last incarnation of the L100 which can still be purchased for peanuts is the L100t3. Here's a pair which I've enjoyed since 1986. I have powered these speakers from 100 to 300 watt amps, nothing in the 30 watt range; however, JBL mentions the speakers can be driven from as little as 20 watts. At any rate, back in the 70's a friend of mine powered his JBL L100's with a 2230 and I was blown away by the effortless volume for a very live like performance. [​IMG]

4. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Not new,not sure if they meet your size requirements,but, recently I've used these with my 2230.

The Klipsch KG4's,4 ohm, match up well with the 2230 and have a bit more fullness than the Advents. Both get wife approval for looks :thumbsup:. Both of us think the KG4's deliver more in room filling sound but there's something about the Advents clear tweeter sound that's hard to not like. These are pics gathered from net,not my rooms or speakers.

Large Advent w/bull nose cabs

[​IMG]

Klipsch KG4

front w/o grills
    [​IMG]

back
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grills on

[​IMG]

danielbravo, Henny and rischa like this.
  5. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Beautiful bookshelf speakers.

6. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Of course the L100t3's are not bookshelf speakers but the L100 Century's are. Either are very efficient. If this sort of speaker is destined to actually be placed on a bookshelf, the L20t3's are ideal. The point here is this class of speaker works to get effortless volume from the low power 2230. I had a 2230 back in the early 70's and back then I connected it to Marantz Imperial speakers, although I can not remember the model. The bass reflex design was right for the 2230 and the speakers were about half the price of L100's but after hearing L100's from a friends 2230, I was no longer satisfied with the Marantz speakers and by the time I earned enough money to get the L100's they had progressed to the L100t3 version, the last version since the introduction of the L100 Classic a few years ago. A pair of those "bookshelf" speakers sell for about $4000.

7. Henny

Henny Forum Resident Thread Starter

Certainly not opposed to a good used situation (like the 2230). Agreed trading here is great.

I've been thinking 89 - 90db or so, your feedback is validating. An iPhone app meter tells me I'm most often listening in the 60-70db range, at times quieter, which I can hit with the volume at about 10 o'clock.

Impressive rig @Sterling1. While surely amazing, the L100's size and price land above my target. Even used should command +$3k a pair.

@Bananajack recommendations on new options caught my attention too prior. Validating. The Linton's fire on sensitivity, price, and walnut aesthetics. They're definitely at the upper limit with size. The stands providing storage for current rotation could assist integrating into a communal family space. Reading up on them had me wondering if a move to a Denton could be a slightly lateral upgrade - is that a wack conclusion? Size and aesthetic work for sure.

Thanks for the input! What else?

8. inzite

inzite Forum Resident

not sure how well it plays with your amp but imo the elac dbr62 deserves a look its pricepoint. There is a very lengthy yet positive discussion on them on another forum.

Henny likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.