Modern, Sub $1.000 CD players

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Greg Fox, Mar 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Fox

Greg Fox Member Thread Starter

I keep finding units that seem interesting, only to find issues with them in terms of either sound or flimsy draws etc on the forums. I'm really frustrated!!

I’ve been looking at the following players:
    1. Cambridge Audio Azur 840C New Retail Price: used $517.00
    2. Yamaha CD-S700 $800
    3. Emotiva ERC-4 Differential Reference $599
    4. Music Hall c-dac15.3 dac CD Player $549
    5. Rotel RCD-1572 Factory Certified Refurbished $700

I’m sure all will sound better than my old and dead Revox B225. My primary use would be for CD playback, but being able to use newer digital devices would be welcome. I have no desire to stream.

I’m kind of leaning towards the Music Hall, for its connectivity. though I’m not sure about ipod or iphone with lightning connections. It seem however that it is somewhat old, and hasn’t been updated in a while.

clhboa and cdgenarian like this.
  2. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

I don't think you can safely assume that these will automatically sound better than your old Revox because they are newer. Some may, some may not.

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

That Revox could sound better than any of those.

RevoxB225

It's downside is it's an early 14 bit Philips model ladder DAC (1540). Some swear these sound great and the later 16 bit 1541 DAC certainly does in Philips manufactured players. My view is to see these off at affordable cost is to buy a transport such as Cambridge CXC or Audiolab 6000 and run through an ESS Sabre 9038 pro based Dac. Will likely be a bit over your $1000 level.

4. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

The Audiolab 6000CDT Transport with a reasonably-priced DAC gets terrific reviews and would come in within your budget.
    6000CDT CD Transport From Audiolab - The Audiophile Man
    While I have not heard one myself Paul Rigby's reviews are usually pretty reliable, provided one uses them, as with all such I formation, as a starting point.

5. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I'd look for a R2R ladder DAC, denafrips, Audio-gd, schiit, etc. and look for a used cd or blu ray player to use as a transport to start. You can then move up to a dedicated transport as funds allow.

6. Greg Fox

Do the players I listed not have good enough clocks/jitter specs to act as decent transports?
    I've also read that what is presented to the DAC is important, but not as much as the buffer and output stage. However, a cheep BluRay, or something with a poor clock can't be fixed with a DAC.

Are there no modern players that offer a good compromise between transport and internal DACs?

7. Greg Fox

I really loved the revox. I feel like I've lost a relative. Lots of labor and trouble fixing the door motor:( I had replaced door gears years ago, but now some of the gears of the motor have gone. Plus, it was such a good looking machine. Hopefully I will be able to at least get some money for the $80 rack mount ears I bought for it when new...

G B Kuipers likes this.
  8. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

I discovered that a <$300 TEAC/TASCAM CD/cassette combo deck uses the same exact CD player mechanism as a $1200 Marantz praised by audiophile publications. So either it's a really good mechanism, or some of today's high-end CD players aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Jump to 25:41 in the video:

9. Greg Fox

I really like the thought of rack handles, but on the Yamaha and Teac/Tascam, they don't match the unit. In particular, the Yamaha has radiused edges, so there is a space between the edges and the ears. I would be nice to have a singe 1/4 face plate. Then again, at $300, considering I paid $80 just for the Revox ears, what can one expect.

With less expensive players, I worry about the quality of the master clock and buffer systems feeding he DAC

10. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

If you want a player rather than transport, look at a used Arcam.

11. Scratcha

Scratcha Forum Resident

Hi,
    There are a few modern DACs available now, which completely reclock the inbound data stream, also filtering most of the inbound "jitter".
    You would have to read-up on each DAC's specs.
    You may want to also look into getting a GOOD quality SPDIF or AES/BEU cable, also.
    I was using an old Sony DVD player in my system, as a transport feeding my DAC, for quite awhile. It worked well, I still have it as a back-up.
    I "stepped-off" the old wallet a few months ago and purchased a Simaudio Moon 260D(T) transport only; mainly for the reliability of it's transport.

cdgenarian likes this.
  12. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

Is the Simaudio Moon 260D still being produced?

13. MGW

cdgenarian likes this.
  14. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I'm quite happy with Cambridge CXC/DACMagic+ combo. Total cost should be around $700.

cdgenarian likes this.
  15. cdgenarian

Thanks! The SimAudio dealer referral mentioned 2 dealers within 250km of my area here in the US, but neither dealer website was helpful in the least. The SimAudio website itself states that the 260D CD Transport (without DAC) has a starting price of $2K.

16. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

A great transport. Love mine, which was purchased from "Listen Up" in Colorado.
    Not sure what SimAudio's dealer territorial restrictions may be for ordering.

Scratcha and cdgenarian like this.
  17. Greg Fox

I suppose one could get a pretty nice DAC for the cost of the optional $1000 Moon DAC for the 260D

18. Greg Fox

Might be a nice time for a road trip. Washington is deserted due to the virus scare, so good for picture taking.

19. MGW

The Moon DACs are all exceptionally good. In your case you would not be paying for an additional box!

cdgenarian likes this.
  20. Scratcha

Scratcha Forum Resident

I'll have to check; but I'm pretty sure they are still making them, also with the option of a transport only.

cdgenarian likes this.
  21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

They still make CD players? :hide:

cdgenarian likes this.
  22. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

I'd choose the one with the best warranty.

Bingo Bongo and cdgenarian like this.
  23. MGW

See above, yes they are still making them.

cdgenarian likes this.
  24. cdgenarian

Why, yes! They're coming back, haven't you heard? (...if my buying habits are any indication.) :righton:

Bingo Bongo and George P like this.
  25. Greg Fox

of note, while bothered by the lack of USB inputs on the Emotive ERC4, I searched and found cables for Apple lightning to XLR.

Still, to use the rotel, one would have to spring for $300 extra for the RCD-1572 (over the 14) for XLR inputs

cdgenarian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.