MoFi to pay $25 million

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guitardiet, May 12, 2023.

1. guitardiet

guitardiet Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Disgraceful ambulance-chasing.

Team MoFi.

3. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Well, I guess now I can return the One-Steps that I don't particularly care for, which is about all of them except for the Mingus and Bridge Over Troubled Water.

So long, Eagles S/T and Desperado, Tapestry, Still Crazy...

4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

5. FramboGND

FramboGND Saved By Zero

The price of deceit.

Paully, FJC1966, peskypesky and 25 others like this.
  6. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Will Mofi destroy the returned purchases or will they send them to Goodwill?:-popcorn:

7. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

They will repackage then and sell them as warehouse finds.

8. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

$25M? Wow. That is a huge sum...this is not Sony, Warner or Universal and I wonder if that's going to lead them to bankruptcy; they'll also have to take returns and/or issue refunds.

9. Lanark

Lanark The French for deja-vu

I imagine they will drip feed them onto the used market, which may reduce the market price.
    In most cases you could get more by selling them yourself than returning for the cost price so they will probably profit from any returns.

10. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Q: Do they have a dedicated store on ‘zon?

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The one good outcome surely of all this is that labels will not attempt to mislead or not publish full details in the future. That's positive, regardless of the innocence or guilt of MOFI.

Derp, FJC1966, peskypesky and 44 others like this.
  12. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Wasn't this already announced last year? Like now I think the news is just that a judge said they don't have to pay more.

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  13. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, if people don't want their One-Step pressings because they were smeckledorfed, I'll take them.

14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Normally these sorts of class action suits seem like this to me, but not in this case. Honestly, how many buyers of these records that were falsely advertised as "all analog" bought them because they thought they were buying something "all analog" and would not have purchased them at all if they were something other than "all analog"? Anyone who did so at the very least should be entitled to their money back. They option to return for a full refund, or provide a partial cash or credit refund seems like a very reasonable settlement. If they company gets away with doing just that and is able to restore good will and trust with consumers, it will have gotten away cheaply and lived to make records another day. We'll see.

Derp, Brian Mc, peskypesky and 41 others like this.
  15. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

I think the folks who feign shock and disappointment at the fact that not all of Mofi's releases were AAA is ridiculous - they are the ones who are charlatans. Any collector worth there salt knows that most vinyl releases require a digital step to resurrect the original tape to a release worthy state.

16. Why would the customer be a charlatan here?

17. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

How do I get my multiple 5%'s back as I bought mine though Scott Nagle.....

18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Honestly, if a company sells a product proclaiming that it is one thing as part of their sales and marketing material, in order to appeal to a particular audience that cares about that thing, and then it turns out the proclamation is false, the company is liable for false advertising -- and state and federal governments could act on it -- and customers have been damaged and have a reasonable civil claim. None of of this is on the customers, and whether or not the customers believe the marketing claims is irrelevant, the only question is were they true or false.

19. CHALKERS

CHALKERS Forum Resident

This is my take on it too. I've noticed an increasing trend of frankly fraudulent (or purposely misleading) behaviour on behalf of record labels and distributors recently. I'm glad to see this behaviour is being called out. Recently I've pre-ordered a 'deluxe 2LP tour edition' of the an album that turned out to be a single standard edition with a single sided 7" and I've ordered coloured 'exclusives' that were standard retail copies and I've ordered copies of albums that were advertised as 'extremely limited' editions - then given a wider standard worldwide release. Then I think of all the music that has the word 'audiophile' plastered all over the polythene just because it weighs 180 grams!

20. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

“In their class action lawsuit, plaintiffs argued that MoFi’s hidden actions significantly lowered the value of their records.”

Now that is rich!

:D

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Guess they’ll file for bankruptcy and pay zilch.

Rich C, mfcmad, andrewskyDE and 3 others like this.
  22. CHALKERS

CHALKERS Forum Resident

That guy is a thief. I will never again place an order through his shop. Just look at his ratings on trust pilot...
    Snvinyl is rated "Poor" with 2.2 / 5 on Trustpilot

23. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

well, having dealt with this tonk on a couple of occasions, you're quite fortunate to actually have received the records! guy is an absolute chancer

jokes aside, assuming you have some sort of proof of purchase? I'd guess you just forward these onto mofi

24. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

The lawyers are the only winners here.

tug_of_war, sami, Rich C and 29 others like this.
  25. Lanark

Lanark The French for deja-vu

If working with a fragile master tape, you are going to want to make a copy but there is absolutely no reason that copy has to be digital unless you are planning a digital release.

Now making a digital copy (for CD etc) and an analogue copy will cost more, so many companies skip making an analogue copy to save money.
    If I'm paying MoFi money for a release it is not unreasonable to assume that they haven't been cutting corners anywhere in the process.

MoFi got off very lightly in this case, if it had gone to trial they may have been bankrupted which wouldn't really benefit anyone.