Mojo’s best albums of 2018 - numbers 25–01

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Great to be me actually. I don't clutter my life. It's called being a connoisseur (rather than being a gullible "everything is awesome" fool).

cypert2 likes this.
  2. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Why do you think we think everything is awesome?

Serious question.

e.s. and Gaslight like this.
  3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

My music collection isn't cluttered either, and even tailored to my individual tastes to boot.

I also don't feel the need to jump in and turn the screws on anyone who might enjoy something I don't. From the last 25 years or otherwise. As @Danby Delight mentioned, if someone likes an album from 2018 why do you think that automatically means they like everything?

e.s. and NorthNY Mark like this.
  4. The Courtney Barnett album is by far the best album of 2018 imho.

linclink likes this.
  5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

So.....we can look forward to you no longer coming into these threads going forward? I'd say that's a win-win.

ReadySteady and e.s. like this.
  6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Unfortunately not. I will always come back to haunt you. :evil:

JoeF. and Gaslight like this.
  7. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I'm surprised Elvis Costello's Look Now didn't merit a mention.

linclink and jpmosu like this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

It did, just not in their top 25, see his other post for the rest of the list.

I only bought two in this top 25, Cat Power and Spiritualized, so not much of an opinion on it, though I have heard parts of a few other albums listed.

JoeF. likes this.
  9. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

The albums I have from that list are absolutely fantastic. The Arctics album is probably my favorite. Not too many bands these days have the guts to do something as different as that record is from the previous one.

Kamasi Washington, Janelle Monae, Courtney Barnett, Cat Power, Gaz Coombes, Tracey Thorn, etc... What’s not to like?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Thanks. I'll give them a listen.

11. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

If you ever like Supergrass or Everything But The Girl, then the Gaz Coombes and Tracey Thorn albums are definitely worth a shot. Different sounding to their respective bands' records, but good all the same. Gaz really doesn't get enough credit for his solo work – all three albums have been incredibly strong. The new Weller and Costello albums are good as well, plus Anna Calvi, Gwenno, Ryley Walker...

12. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

I tried to make the poll signposting as clear as possible with links, but it’s surprising how often people think their favourites were ignored when they were just in the other half of a list!

Davey likes this.
  13. Janelle Monae just edges out Courtney Barnett for my vote, but it could have gone either way!

7MusicFan6 and e.s. like this.
  14. slosaint

slosaint Forum Resident

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. The only year end music poll that I get a serious kick out of is the Pazz and Jop Poll from the Village Voice. The cross section of critics represented in that poll is a fairly good indicator of what was happening in that year in the world of music, not just one person's opinion of what is hip. To each his own. Enjoy the music!

15. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

The Mojo and Uncut lists aren't just a single person's opinion of what's hip, either. And a lot of the time, Mojo's lists includes input from actual musicians, not just critics.

16. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

My rule of thumb is to not vote for anything in these polls that I don't own. Though I buy some new music I'm left out of this poll as I do not own any of the titles.

I was able to vote for No. 33 Ry Cooder Prodigal Son in the 50-26 poll

17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I seem to be a long way from the zeitgeist. I've only heard two from the Uncut Top 50 list and none from this one.

18. Dave Gilmour's Cat

I’d like to see those. Are they posted online?

19. Yes, but they are usually published a few months into the following year... sadly The Village Voice is no more, so I don't know if anyone in the old music dept will somehow try & keep the poll going online somehow or not

I believe the old ones are still archived online

20. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

There was a Pazz and Jop for 2017, after the Voice folded. I haven't gotten any word yet about 2018, but it's not time for the emails to go out yet.

21. I have a friend (a fellow Mekons fanatic - how we met in fact...) who wrote for them... they ceased print operations in 2017 & folded completely as of late August 2018

If there is a Pazz & Jop 2018 in early 2019 I am guessing it would have to be self organized & carried on by those who did the last few via whatever database & resources they might still have... Here's to hoping that can happen

22. Dave Gilmour's Cat

If you are new to Julia Holter and Father John Misty, as I am, which would be the best albums to start with?

23. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I don't understand how a "best of 2018" list can be published in mid-November...

What if the best album of all time is released on Dec 31st?... ;)

24. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Presumably it would be featured in the list published this time next year.

25. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Courtney Barnett is the only one I've heard so I voted for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.